Choose Your Own Portrait

First of all, public service announcement: Amber’s Magic Shop is out on Steam! If you bought it directly, you can as always redeem the free Steam keys from this site: http://www.bestanimegames.com/steam/

About this blog: I know I said I would announce a new yuri only dating sim today, but I decided to wait a bit more. The game is going well but I realized that even if I had all the assets (writing, art, music) ready TODAY (and that’s not the case), it would still take me at least 2 months to have the first beta version. For this reason, I decided to wait a bit more, even if the writing it’s at very good point. Also because while I’m not a superstitious person, announcing the games early didn’t really work well in the past, didn’t it? 😀

Cursed Lands character creation

This is what I’m working right now. I’ve finished the intro part of the game, where you’re recruited by the Human Empire, just before the big “open world” part which will be hard to code but also fun. For sure was fun to code the character creation so far!

The eternal 2D dilemma

Originally, this game was supposed to not have the protagonist displayed, seen in first person view. This because in a 2D game, you can’t have both character customization and romance CG scenes! Just imagine how many variants of each CG the artist should draw if the protagonist was displayed. So far I didn’t do this in all my games, but this was limiting the choice a lot. In Loren, SOTW, Queen Of Thieves you started with predefined characters. You could change their stats/skills but not their appearances. In Queen Of Thieves you could at least change their outfits (and it was a very popular option!).

A randomized head using the new character creation system. I think I was lucky!

In Cursed Lands, I decided to at least have the portrait of your protagonist shown, as you can see in the screenshot above 🙂 It will be displayed in the battles and inventory/character screen of course, not in the game scenes which will still be seen in first person (including the romance CGs).

Combo master!

However just creating your character, even if will be displayed only in those parts of the game, it’s already a lot of fun! I originally calculated 1080 different combinations but then I let myself go a bit when creating the color variations for hair/eyes, so now the unique combinations is over 10.000 😀 Of course, several hair/eye colors are quite similar, but I’m already proud of what I’ve managed to do, since it also includes the possibility to create characters with darker skin 🙂

Once I have everything working I’ll make a public alpha so people can play with it and reach the end of the intro of the game. Still a long way to go (need to code a LOT of things !) but I’d say that I’m on the right track for this game so far: the character portrait system is very nice, and the in-game character creation (including a sort of personality test after the intro scenes) it’s interesting as well! 🙂

After the initial character creation, a familiar face will ask us a few questions to determine better our personality…

I also spoke with the writer and we’re considering making both Nuala and Vaeril romanceable by both genders to make more options available to the players (as said the romance CG would stay the same but would only change the texts).

This entry was posted in Cursed lands, development screenshot, roleplay games. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Choose Your Own Portrait

1. Xarena says:

Oh this is awesome I love that we can choose what our character’s look like I mean I understand not doing it but this is great I can’t wait to play it. 😀

There are both advantages and disadvantages using the two systems. However I realized I was always using only one option, so I decided to try something new, once again 😛

2. hassan says:

damm boi i dont check the website for 2 months and when i come back i see you have released a new game ( cant wait to play it) and you are talking about all the cool games you plan you release in the coming months/years. BTW Cursed Lands looks great take as much time as you need so you can make it great

3. Inky says:

It’s a great option to make characters bi, specially if the artists don’t have to draw another set of CGs! That should reduce costs… And be a good experiment to see if people are happier by having bi characters.
    I know I’ll be ?

I think honestly it’s the best solution, might not be “realistic”, but after all it’s a game. It’s the only system to have still many romance options for all genders/combos 🙂

• Inky says:

Magic isn’t realistic as well, so there’s that ?
        I have to confess the game I’m waiting for the most is the one where everyone is bi and there are couple pictures, but that’s… Probably one of the reasons why it’s taking so long lol
        ?? I’m on money saving mode rn but that plan will be out of the window as soon as you release UL. Im so gonna buy every version ?

• hassan says:

hey dragon age 2 ( best game in the series in my opinion) got away with making every character bi so why cant you?:)

Haha yeah.
          Well if there are already many options, some can even not be bisex, but if I have only 4 characters for example, like in SOTW, everything bisex becomes mandatory 😛

• Rincewind says:

I’m not entirely sure about this. Has advantages, that’s for sure. But also can be a double edge sword.

Sometimes I felt that sometimes makes the gender choice meaningless. Need to be used carefully.
      And let’s not talk about the games that just change the pronouns and that’s it. I’m not precisely fond of those kind of things.

It is only if there are the same texts for both genders during romances. Loren for example had many romance scenes shared with both male/female protagonist, but also several “custom ones”, and obviously nobody ever complained about it.
        You need to try really hard (ie copy paste the same IDENTICAL romance texts for both genders!) to get a bad result with this system ! 😀

4. Mirror says:

Oooo I hope purple eyes will be a choice I always wished I could have purple eyes instead of my boring hazel green. Will we be able to choose a class like in Season of the Wolf and kinda Loren? Also Nuala and Vaeril sounds familiar do I know them from somewhere??? Looking forward to the game always love your Loren type fantasy games.

Yes purple eyes is an option 🙂
      For the class, this game works differently, I explained better in forums but in practice your main character has a unique “social skilltree” which can change the battle using it.
      Nuala and Vaeril are exclusive of this game. It’s possible maybe that I used it (in smaller version and with different colors) as enemies in SOTW, not sure though!

5. Wyvern says:

I think it’s cool that you’re using the “four humors” to define personality. So what sort of influence will these have on the gameplay?

They have an impact on normal battles, and in the boss mini-fights (you’ll get to talk to them during the battle). Right now I don’t remember if they also influence the main story, for sure there are different lines based on the gender/race/profession 🙂

6. Eli says:

I think it’s really great to choose what the character looks like! It’d be awesome too if we could choose the name of the character. That’s the only thing I miss in these games. ^_^
    Can’t wait to play it!

7. Xarena says:

Can dark elf be a choice in this game?

No because at the time it takes place, they’re banished from Grandtree (happens before Loren’s event) so wouldn’t be possible

• Xarena says:

Oh ok am sorry I have another question it might be silly what are those words? I mean sanguine sounds like a fruit to me.

• Bob The Mob says:

In any future RPGs in which we create our character (please tell me there will be others) will we be able to play as Dark Elves?

It seem like there could be so much potential for really allowing the player to get creative w/ that!!!!! 😀