Suggestions welcome

First person CRPG, based on the old classics like Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Heh what you say is really cool. About actually implementing it... hmm it's a lot of work... I don't know, I would like to finish this game within 2007 :lol:
Astral
Young scout

Post by Astral »

KnockOut,

I don't think your giving jack1974 enough credit. Sure we all have tons of suggestions that we would like to see implemented into the game (myself included), because we want this to be a kickass game. However, even without our input I think jack1974 is more then capable of making a very quality and very entertaining CRPG.

Let him work his magic and after he releases the full game, we can then supply him with ideas. He is one of the very few developers that listens to gamer's feedback and implements them into future upgrades. You can be sure that when the final product has had its last update most of our suggestions will have been applied one way or another. Be patient and let the man create.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Heh, no problems about his suggestions. However, while I understand completely what he means, some things are really hard to implement on a game, in practice every character class should be REALLY different, and that would take lot of time, which unfortunately right now I don't have :roll:
But making suggestions never hurts - of course I won't follow all the advices I get, otherwise as I said I wouldn't finish the game before end of this year!! :lol:
As you said, I can always make updates. Even better, this kind of game I think would be well suited for expansions packs :)
machina
Young scout

Post by machina »

As I told you for other games like USM2, I suggest you start low. Making a game like Dungeon Master is really a lot of work by itself, then if you even try to implement all those different classes, you'll finish it in 2009, which is bad.
Bad, because I want to play such a game soon, very soon! :twisted:

BTW what's wrong with the classic cleric with a mace? 8)
KnockOut
Young scout

Post by KnockOut »

Just a tentatively final list of suggestions:

Follow the rules of economics! Scarcity of resources! No unlimited sources of xp or gold(no unlimited generated monsters)
Don't inflate the gameplay(don't make each level of the tower too big to try to make the game seem longer than you've put the effort in)
Remember if the game has only twelve monsters but if I have to save/reload a bunch of times trying different strategies and equipment combos that's a lot more gameplay than if I can just beat the game the first time through.

For example, in ADOM you can do the lower levels over and over again so only the beginning of the game is a challenge because you can just gather levels and resources until you're ready for the end levels. In Shining Force, you can just egress and do the first few levels over and over to keep gaining experience.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well about that, you can be sure I will! I have in mind to put breakable item! yes even weapons and armor... <evil laugh> one of the thing I hate more in such rpg is finding the "ultimate superblade" so you never even look at other weapons anymore.
Of course some weapon will be more resistant, and I plan to make them deteriorate as long as you use them in combat. That would mean that you could want to save the great spear for the next big monster.
This also would mean that fighters should specialize in more than one weapon type, to avoid being stuck using a crap sword only because they don't have a high blunt weapon skill...
Random1
Young scout

Post by Random1 »

"They sent in a stealth spy just for kicks. You now have your two hands. Good luck." :lol:
mastro
Young scout

Post by mastro »

Well I think jack means that at least very basic weapons will be always available, like normal swords, maces, etc. If there will be a village to go refurnish after each level (diablo/fate style) you can always make new low-level weapons reappear.
I have another suggestion though: what about a serie of "mercenaries" or heroes ? like in suikoden games. You have a finite number of character to explore the dungeon, so anytime you go back to your home village you can rebuild your party.
That opens the game to new strategies. For example one level there could be some really tough long-range fighting monsters, so you should make your party only with long-range classes like rangers or spellcasters.
I think this would be a great idea!
Also maybe like in Magic Candle series you could assign a task to the character that remains in the town, to build up certain skills of them. This would add a sort of "management" element to the game.

Please consider those suggestions ;)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm yes yours is a very good suggestion. I could ship the game with some ready made characters and let users create their own. That would be cool, because users would be able also to do some powerleveling of their own low characters... ahah could be interesting :)
KnockOut
Young scout

Post by KnockOut »

Expanding on the mercarny idea I really liked the way it was done in Mordor 1 and Mordor II in theory. You could have one character in one level of the dungeon log in to another character and then have them meet and trade. So if your fighter couldn't beat a monster, you made a wizard and then had him beat the enemy.

How this could apply to Tower of Destiny is that you can create as many characters as you want but the dungeon changes based on the actions of each character and the characters can trade with one another. The Tower of Destiny resets once you beat the game with one of the characters and you lose all your current characters. Remember the creatures in the tower have to be finite for this to work(This is why it didn't work in Mordor I and II).

On powerleveling :evil: :evil: :evil: My vote is for level 1 to not be that different from level 10. A level 1 character should be able to beat the game if he has the right equipment, potions, etc. And every monster should be a challenge to a level 10 character.

You said earlier that every character gets an ability every level. How about instead of level one being lightning bolt power I and level 2 being lightning bolt power II etc. each ability is tangential to each other. So a wizard gets lightning bolt at level one(that doesn't increase in power as you level) a poison attack at level two(not stronger than lightning bolt just tangential to lightning as poison does damage over time rather than all at once) drain life at level three, etc.

To ensure that all abilities are equal you could have all 10 abilities be available at level one and the user could control which ability he gets every level.