What are visual novels / dating sims?

Games with gameplay beside the story: raising your skills, map systems, life simulations, etc
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I made this forum initially only for Summer Session but I found myself interested in writing more of those kind of games, so I just renamed it "Dating Sim / Visual Novels" forum.

At time of writing this post I'm working on another romance game called Heileen.

But what are those kind of games? very popular in japan but rarely translated in english, they focus mainly on the romance / relationship aspect. Some of those games even contain erotic content, but of course I won't be able to include that in any of my games, since I want to sell to everyone :oops:

They're mostly adventures but also contain many elements from other genres like RPGs, simulations, and such. Some have mini-games inside them, other have a real combat system, and so on.
Sanguinius
Young scout

Re: What are visual novels / dating sims?

Post by Sanguinius »

Flower Shop, Card Sweathearts?? This is definitly not a Winter Wolves i remember. :shock:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha, have you checked Planet Stronghold though? I'm sure that one fits more your tastes ;)
Sanguinius
Young scout

Post by Sanguinius »

jack1974 wrote:Haha, have you checked Planet Stronghold though? I'm sure that one fits more your tastes ;)
Actually, that is reason I am here, I decided to check my old email for some reason and your newsletter was first messege, and it looked interesting. I will try it eventually, once I get my PC back (surfing on my phone) 8)

I am pretty amazed that I remembered my password in first try, I usually forget these things :)
Disintegration
Young scout

Post by Disintegration »

The best definition that I have run across goes on something like this:

1. Visual novel: In terms of its internal structure, it is lot like choose-your-own-adventure books. That is, it is predominantly story-driven and the reader's choice affect how the story unfolds and eventually ends. Kana Imouto (Kana Little Sister) (first released in 1999 in Japan and became quite popular soon after) is a very good example.

2. Dating sim: This is somewhat like RPG, in which stat-raising is central to how the story unfolds and eventually ends. Spirited Heart would be an example of dating sim, although achieving romantic endings is an optional goal.
ChickenFoot
Young scout

Post by ChickenFoot »

If achieving a romantic ending is only an optional achievement, then what are the other optional achievements, I wonder... ?
rooke30
Young scout

Post by rooke30 »

Disintegration wrote: Spirited Heart would be an example of dating sim, although achieving romantic endings is an optional goal.
Romance is always the primary goal in a dating sim. If this is not the case then the game is not a dating sim, but in fact some other kind of sim.
spyfox321
Young scout

Post by spyfox321 »

Romance is always the primary goal in a dating sim. If this is not the case then the game is not a dating sim, but in fact some other kind of sim.[/quote]

i which some games are catarogized Life/Dating Sim. there are such games just VERY hard to come by.
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

Awesome.
I'd be more helpful, but since 2008 I'd say you've gotten a pretty good handle on what visual novels and dating sims are jack :lol: