what other gameplay elements should visual novel have?

Games based mostly on classic VN gameplay without skills, statistics, etc to raise

what other gameplay elements should visual novel have (if any)?

You may select up to 2 options

View results

kadakithis
Druid

Re: what other gameplay elements should visual novel have?

Post by kadakithis »

jack1974 wrote:I see, so some kind of roleplay without real fight/combat, but still with skills/stats and checks :)
Yeah if it doesn't have combat, it needs skills and stats that come up with choices. The best is when there isn't only one path to win the day, as that takes away having a choice. So in a fantasy magic world, I don't need to become a enchanter to win, that negates having other skills. But enchanting may come up and if you have it things will go well. Either that, or the one path needs to be ridiculously hard, like Long Live the Queen.
SweetLove
Young scout

Post by SweetLove »

Troyen wrote:Judging from the poll, about third of people prefer pure novels, and half adventure games. I don't know how much overlap there is between the two groups, I would suspect not much.
I'm getting the feeling there's quite a large overlap and that the people are putting the secondary vote in because hey, you can't ever go wrong with a better story. Just looking through the replies in the thread seems to show more or less the same thing. The title of the thread is probably confounding things a bit by virtue of having "visual novel" inside it.

That being said, I do note that a CYOA type of game seems to be the most popular option right now.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

I don't know about that. It depends on what is defined as "adventure" - is it the "try and guess the random thing to click on to progress the story" type of adventure? (Like Myst)
Taleweaver
Official writer

Post by Taleweaver »

Troyen wrote:I don't know about that. It depends on what is defined as "adventure" - is it the "try and guess the random thing to click on to progress the story" type of adventure? (Like Myst)
I beg to disagree about Myst. Myst was pretty much an adventure wrapped in a series of puzzle games, a little like the Professor Layton games. (Only without Professor Layton.)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Today spoke with one of the writers who applied for Always Remember Me sequel but weren't picked for that project. He seems to have very good ideas and we're planning a CYOA game style, with full player customization. Is still set in fantasy world of Aravorn, and will feature some characters seen in other games thought romances will be exclusive (to avoid making a mess :lol:).
I'm honestly quite excited about it, there will be a lot of different possibilities/paths based on the stats/choices. If the writer can deliver what he's promising (is a new writer so I never worked with him before but looks serious), this game will be quite interesting!
SweetLove
Young scout

Post by SweetLove »

Congratulations on your new project then. Hope it goes well for you.
rooke30
Young scout

Post by rooke30 »

Troyen wrote:I don't know about that. It depends on what is defined as "adventure" - is it the "try and guess the random thing to click on to progress the story" type of adventure? (Like Myst)
An adventure game has 3 components.

1 - A narrative
2 - Exploration
3 - Puzzles. These can be dialogue puzzles, logic puzzles, environment puzzles etc etc.

Much overlap. The most natural gameplay element to add to a VN is adventure gameplay imo.
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

I'm happy to have any type of bonus thing, I just value story above that personally.
If I have any great idea I'll mention it :lol: .
DX5536
Young scout

Post by DX5536 »

Well I kinda enjoy Vera Blanc's mind reading, the "find the differences" is just OMG *rip hair out of head*. Idk if quiz gamplay has been added but i do enjoy the quiz in Erica Reed Ep. II at the end, it kinda "force" you to concentrate on the story or just go with HuniePop's "date mode" lel.
Oh and I like that you guys add some nudity but i would like to see something Heavy Rain's sex gameplay, it feel more rewarding than just normal cg, or maybe how you interact with your partner (aggressive, romantic,...) kinda like Alpha protocol.

But story is above everything els ofc xD
"But there was no such thing as an eternity..."~ Orihara Kouhei from One ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

Mini-games, as long as they can be solved within five minutes or include a 'by-pass' (skip) option.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.