Character Creation Guide

Fantasy RPG game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/lorenamazonprincess.htm
Leadman
Young scout

Character Creation Guide

Post by Leadman »

Character Creation Guide for Loren: The Amazon Princess

Hello and welcome to my guide for creating a starting character in the RPG game “Loren: The Amazon Princess”.
It’s based on the newest available version and this guide offers some insights/thoughts in what and how to choose in the beginning of the game and why you'd want to. The end of it also has some quick example builds, if you're interested.
I hope you enjoy the time invested in this guide and find it informative.

Now, onwards to the real reason you're here!

(Some of the guide is in spoilers to make the post manageable and also to go past some of the more speculative/descriptive parts of the guide - if you just want to get started use and example build)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------GUIDE------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right from the start it asks you to play Standard or Tactical – both have their advantages over each other. Tactical lets you have more skills faster and that leads to faster kills in combat. However, the reduced HP/SP does hurt those somewhat.
Standard is slower, with more grinding if you want to see more of each individual character’s skills.
Maximum number of abilities/skills is 16, no matter which play style you choose - Reaching that far requires a lot of grinding, though.

Afterwards, you get to choose which gender you want to play as – It doesn’t affect gameplay mechanics wise, but it will affect who you can romances, and dialogue through the game. I suggest looking up Aleema’s Romance Walkthrough guide for more information about this subject.

Now, the next thing that happens, is that you have to choose between being a warrior or a thief. Your secondary class, Hero, is already chosen by default.
It's not too important which you choose, you can win the game with either one - but if you're unsure, the following gives a thorough description of the classes.
Spoiler:
The Hero class is a healing/protective magic class, close to the standard white mage. Its main feature is to offer support/healing to other characters.

The Warrior class is an aggressive, in-your-face class that can do high damage up front, but lack in ranged skills and thus do not function too well from the back row. Because of their heavy gear, they also tend to be somewhat slow.
As a warrior, you get to wear heavy/medium/lightarmor and can use all sorts of melee weapons except staves and any shield – for ranged weaponry, you can use up to medium class.
Strength is your main stat, which determine the damage you do (along with skill) AND your total hit points – as warriors often are up front, having high HP is a good thing.
Skill determines your speed and factors into the damage dealing equation as well, so at least a decent score is a good thing to have here, even for a warrior.
Will determines how many spell points you get per level up, and thus how often you can use any active skills from the skill tree. It also determines how much damage magic attacks do to you. This stat can stand to be somewhat low for a warrior, as his/her higher HP and equipment sort of negates the magical damage that can be brought upon them.

The Thief class is a sneakier character, specializing in taking already weakened enemies out from afar, or using their faster attacks to pick of key targets in a fight.
They are not as tough as warriors and thus less able to hold their own in the front row, though exceptions to this are existent. As implied they are faster and are generally better at ranged attacks than warriors. They also get to use special items in battle.
As a thief you get to wear medium/light/cloth armor and can use medium/light type ONE-handed weapons + medium/light shields. You can, however use any sort of ranged weapon.
Skill is your main stat, it determines both your speed and the damage you do (along with strength). The lack of higher HP can be compensated somewhat by killing the enemies faster.
Strength is still an important stat for a thief; it provides a buffer of hit points and is also part of the damage dealing equation, so you should try to allocate some points here as well.
Will provides the thief with some magical resistance which is harder to obtain because of the limited available armor. A thief also tends to use a lot of skills from his or her skill-tree to do any real damage, so a decent magic stat is a preferable thing here.

In short:

- If you choose warrior, pumping points into Strength and Skill mostly will make your warrior strong, sturdy and not slow as a tortoise. You can pump points into Will if you find you need more SP during battle or if you want to manage a lot of skills during a fight, but not too many points are required. Your player character does need a little more Will than other Warriors, though, because of his secondary spell caster class.
- If you choose thief, you should try for a more even distribution of attribute points, but with a slight edge to Skill to deal more damage – this way, the times where you are required to use a thief in the front lines won’t be as tough.

Having read through all of that, you see that if you choose warrior as your primary class, you’ll have skills similar to a standard Paladin in RPG lore and if you choose thief, you’ll act more like a traditional Spellsword with emphasis on white magic.
You should know that during the game you can get to recruit/manage up to five warriors and up to four thieves, which might give you an inclination to choose thief. However, there are also good reasons to go warrior.
Analysing the aforementioned individuals can give you some of these reasons.
(You can skip this part if you're not interested and continue onwards to character building)
Spoiler:
Warriors:

Loren: Raw damage output is insane, especially later in the game. However, you cannot equip a shield to her, making her slightly more vulnerable than other warriors.
She can do both multi- and single target damage and raise the damage of others in your party.

Amukiki
: His skills slow him down somewhat, but he comes with a default decent shield and has very protective abilities, and less offensive ones. He’s a tank, good at soaking up lots of damage.
However, he cannot equip a ranged weapon, making him unable to attack enemies in the back row. He also has no multi-target attack.

Ramas: He is sort of a mixture between Loren and Amukiki – He can use a shield and has some good passive, defensive abilities, but also some good, high damage-dealing ones, that also can hit multiple targets. Like Amukiki, this fellow cannot equip a ranged weapon and do not have any way to deal damage to the back row.
Because of his inheritlently higher hitpoints and natural resistances (if you level them), he's a good candidate for a 2-Handed Weapon.

Sauzer: A very atypical warrior. He can only wear light/cloth armor and jewellery and cannot equip any weapon – neither melee or ranged, making him unable to harm anyone in the back row. He cannot attack multiple targets. He does have higher stats than most people on your team and some decent skills, but if you equip your party properly, his damage output falls far behind the others (I have affectionately dubbed him WeakSauzer because of this). At least he is cheap to maintain, equipment-wise.

Trouble: CANNOT EQUIP ANYTHING. Read that part again. No necklaces, no rings, nothing! He is very fast and has decent skills, but dies very easily, unless time is used to use abilities to protect him. No ranged attack.

Thieves:

Rei: The standard ranger/assassin thief. He has very good skills, especially for a ranged weapon build as he can easily take out weaker targets in the back. He has no equipment limitations outside of those given to him by his class. However, he has no multi-target attack, save for using items and he’s not too sturdy and usable on the front row.

Dora: Sort of a female Rei, but with less single target attacks. She is a bit better in the front row as she has some more defensive abilities and has a very good Rain of Arrows attack. Plus, LOOK AT HOW CUTE SHE IS! Like Rei, she has no equipment limitations outside of those for her class.

Karen: An atypical thief. She wants to be a warrior with her spear abilities and her Strike Through abilities and has been given more HP to do just this. However, in exchange she is not too good at dealing damage to the back row, as she does not like to equip heavy class ranged weaponry and, being a thief, cannot wear the same heavy armor as warriors, making her die more easily. She has a FRONT row multi-attack.
She can equip a Shield and onehanded weapon, but this severely limits her Damage output - You decide whether it's worth it.
For damage to the back row, using Potion Bombs seems the most efficient.

Mesphit: Again an atypical thief. He has single equipment restriction outside of those for his class and that's that he cannot handle heavy class missile weaponry (crossbows). His special ability makes him into somewhat of a frontline fighter, though – Problem is that his HP isn’t too high, so he can be risky to have in the front. In his special form, he has a FRONT row multi-attack. In this form he is also able to ‘heal’ himself and deal lots of damage to high HP non-boss targets, despite resistances.
Again, for decent damage to the entire back row, using Potion Bombs is the most efficient.

If you read through all that, you can conclude that all thieves except for two do not have any equipment restrictions, so you can get to explore every aspect of equipping a thief that way.
But you can also see that none of the other warriors will ever be able to equip exactly the same/as much as you, giving you player character are more unique feel as a warrior.

However, two of the thieves (Mesphit and Karen) sort of want to play like warriors, and this may be giving you a feel that the scales will be unbalanced. It should be said that two of the warriors sort of play like thieves (Sauzer and Trouble) that are unable to deal ranged damage, though, because of their bad equipment opportunities, tipping the scales back.

Given how you are also offered four mages in the game that can do excellent row/all damage and that attribute points are easily allocated, going warrior seems like the best choice for a first time play through: more damage, less thinking, more power, sturdier, more feeling of being unique – but less “exciting” skills and no way to deal damage to multiple targets, as you cannot use thief-exclusive items.

Phew. That was a lot to soak in. Onwards.
It’s up to you which class you choose, but warrior makes for an easier, more consistent play through with less deaths - Now, select your starting class based on this information.

Now that you’ve chosen your play style, your gender and your primary class, you’ll be asked a series of questions which will each grant a +2 increase to one of the three attributes and some of them will give you a weapon, some armor or some jewellery.

The information in the spoiler below will give you an overview of what you gain from each answer. Answer accordingly to how you want your character’s powers/attributes to be.
Spoiler:
Question 1:
Healer's Quarters + 2 Will
Training Grounds + 2 Strength
Royal Palace + 2 Skill

Question 2:
Arena + 2 Strength, Long Sword
Target Challenge + 2 Skill, Small Crossbow
Magic Trials + 2 Will, Ring of Magic

Question 3:
Teach them a lesson + 2 Strength
Sneaked her out + 2 Skill
Reasoned with them + 2 Will

Question 4:
Sword + 2 Strength
Bow + 2 Skill
Book + 2 Will

Question 5:
Shield + 2 Strength, Shield
Leather Armor + 2 Skill, Leather Armor
Enchanted Ring + 2 Will, Ring of Speed

Question 6:
Reported him to the authorities + 2 Strength
Helped him escape + 2 Skill
Convinced him otherwise + 2 Will
Some example ‘builds’ - (Look in the above spoiler for more information)

High damage dealer build: Choose warrior. Choose five answers of + 2 Strength where one of them must be the one that gives you the Long Sword. Choose one answer of + 2 Skill. Be in the front row. A little slow this way.

The defensive, slow tortoise build: Choose warrior. Get the Shield OR Leather Armor and the Ring of Magic. Focus mainly on + 2 Strength answers, but have one or two answers with + 2 Will.

Be a fast, but fragile character: Choose thief. Get the Small Crossbow and the Ring of Speed (Will answer). Otherwise, choose all + 2 Skill answers. Be in the back row and watch your hit points closely.

Well-rounded: For warrior choose three + 2 Strength answers, two + 2 Skill answers and get the Ring of Speed. I recommend getting the Long Sword, but the Small Crossbow is okay too.
For thief choose three + 2 Strength answers, two + 2 Skill answers and one + 2 Will answer.
Get either the Long Sword/Small Crossbow and the Shield/Leather Armor.

Financial build: This is just the way to get the most monetary value out of the choices - Get the two rings, they’re more expensive/harder to get than any of the other items.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------END-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, any comments, suggestions or critiques are welcome!

Oh, and if you're wondering, I didn't make a 'mage-build' because there's no obvious reason to do so - you do get to heal more with a higher Will, but you get potions and other healers in the party who can help and the player's skills have a highest and lowest cap of healing anyway. You could however, make a magic oriented character for flavor reasons, of course.
Last edited by Leadman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
Mariko
Young scout

Re: Character Creation Guide

Post by Mariko »

Leadman wrote:The Warrior class is an aggressive, in-your-face class that can do high damage up front, but lack in ranged skills and thus do not function too well from the back row.

Nice work on this guide.

I do, however, have a small issue with this line.

A warrior can attack the enemy front line with melee attacks from the back row. They just can't attack the enemy back row with melee attacks from anywhere. So their reason for not being in the back row has nothing to do with their damage output and everything to do with their damage mitigation with their plate gear. They're the front line defense protecting the clothies and leather/chain wearers in the back row.
Leadman
Young scout

Post by Leadman »

Oh, I know that, and I mentioned that somewhere, I think...
However, the damage also gets lowered if your use a melee weapon from the back row against the front row - At least that's my experience when having been forced to use Karen or similarly there.
So as such, they're not as useful in the backrow, if their melee attack (strongest attack) gets diminished from it. Was all I tried to say.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

One additional big downside to tactical is that those extra initial starting abilities aren't selectable by you the player. Not all abilities are equally useful and getting saddled with the less useful ones can prevent you from picking up the best skills later down the road before the game ends because you lack the prerequisites, unless you're willing to do ---A LOT--- of grinding.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Really good guide. Another sticky post ME THINKS!! :lol:
About grinding I was surprised to see how many people grinded to level 20 before chapter4, while on a normal playthrough you would get to levels 16-17-18 for the final Fost battle :)
Leadman
Young scout

Post by Leadman »

P_Tigras wrote:One additional big downside to tactical is that those extra initial starting abilities aren't selectable by you the player. Not all abilities are equally useful and getting saddled with the less useful ones can prevent you from picking up the best skills later down the road before the game ends because you lack the prerequisites, unless you're willing to do ---A LOT--- of grinding.
Yeah, that's a very good point, Tigras, and maybe I should add that later.

And, much obliged for the second sticky, Jack, I try to make decent work when I feel I have the time to spare.
Yeah, I was around that average level (16-18) when I defeated Fost, The Weakling... I've never heard or seen this Void equipment of which Mariko talks, though.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going through the game ONE more time as Saren before tackling my first Elenor walkthrough.I'll let you know if I find any flaws or typos :D
Mariko
Young scout

Post by Mariko »

Leadman wrote: I've never heard or seen this Void equipment of which Mariko talks, though.

Yeah, I never have either until today. Stats are as follows...

Attack____+2....Defense___+5
Magic_____+2....Speed_____+1
HPRegen__+1....SPRegen___+1
Damage___+2...Threshold__+1

Must be a really rare item.

Is there a list somewhere of all the rare items we can peruse so we know what to keep an eye out for?

Maybe there should be an achievement for having all of the rarest gear equipped or something like that.
"umm... They were like this when we found them."--- Dora
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

Excellent guide and exactly what I needed to find. I was looking for something like this when I was playing the demo a while back. When I purchase this game I will now have a much better idea of what to do. Im hoping to find the manual first :)
?
Legendzerox
Young scout

Post by Legendzerox »

When I leveled up, I put 1 point into each of the three stats, and maxed out hitpoints on the warrior tree first and went to support skills. My main objectice was to be a mana battery/guard tank for the mages in the back. On that regard, I used Warrior Elenore, Loren, and Amukiki in the front. In the back, I used Myrth, Chambara, and Apolimesho who was mostly my main healer by heal doting my front line. I went two handed sword and go two rings that gave me attack, critical hit, and damage. Also had necklace of the masters and had a 30% crit rate. When I crit, I did around 170 damage. (Level 19 when I beat the game)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha wow, 170 dmg of critical is not bad :mrgreen: