No .exe?!

Fantasy RPG game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/lorenamazonprincess.htm
CrimsonTsuki
Young scout

No .exe?!

Post by CrimsonTsuki »

Hello,

I recently bought and downloaded the "deluxe" edition of "Loren" from Steam. After downloading and installing I tried to start it, but found that there was no LorenRPG.exe! After reinstalling several times and working through all the suggested fixes (which didnt work of course), I found through the forums about activating the game through the demo. I recently downloaded the 1.2.9 Demo from the site here and tried to start it, but again, found no LorenRPG.exe present! Is this a known issue, or has anyone encountered this before? Ive tried redownloading and such many times...

Thanks for your help!
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: No .exe?!

Post by jack1974 »

No, this is definitely something weird on your computer. Check that you don't have one of the "so called antivirus" that are basically useless, since mark all .exe as false positive (use website like virustotal.com to scan, is free and gives you a much better result).
CrimsonTsuki
Young scout

Post by CrimsonTsuki »

Hmmm.. ive downloaded several games in a past few days and all of them had their .exe intact and were not blocked.. the steam version was also missing its .exe, even after validating and redownloading the .exe file, which never appeared. After installing, the shortcut on my desktop, which is automatically created, points to C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Loren Amazon Princess where the .exe is missing. However, there is a LorenRPG.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Loren Amazon Princess\lib\windows-i686 and is 27kb file?? Clicking on that doesnt do anything though..
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No the exe is in the main folder, same for the version on my site. I've never heard of this problem before, sorry (if was common I would have got lots of complaints already for sure! :lol:).
CrimsonTsuki
Young scout

Post by CrimsonTsuki »

So I just tried disabling my anti-virus and redownloading and I was able to start the game, but only one time immediately after installation. Afterwards, when I quit the game and try to open the files, the .exe is nowhere to be found.. so I can play it, but I have to reinstall it every time, which is no good..
CrimsonTsuki
Young scout

Post by CrimsonTsuki »

Are you able to send the .exe to my email as an attachment and then I can try putting it in the folder manually?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Sorry but it's for sure the antivirus that is deleting it. The exe is already in the zip you downloaded, so if I send it will be deleted too. Disable the "antivirus" (lol more like a virus!) and will work fine :)
dnd3edm1
Young scout

Post by dnd3edm1 »

I am having the same problem, and I looked in the game folder; both of the .exe files are there. The demo has the same issue.

"Could not execute C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Loren Amazon Princess\lib\windows-i686\LorenRPG.exe. Is it missing?"
and
"Could not execute C:\Program Files (x86)\Winter Wolves\Loren Amazon Princess\lib\windows-i686\LorenRPG.exe. Is it missing?"

I do not have the ability (nor desire) to disable my antivirus if that is actually the problem, which I don't think it is considering the only other forum post that I could find on the issue:

"When game starts, this error occurred:
http://s020.radikal.ru/i705/1401/e9/6ec3147848c8.jpg
Run as admin doesn't help, as a run .exe in windows-i686(looks like process not even stars).
Tried the demo - same issue in 1.2.7 ver,but I found a 1.0 ver and its works.But libs a little different.

Also when i'm launching the game from command line, i'm getting this error:

File "LorenRPG.exe", line 1
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\x90' in file LorenRPG.exe on line 1, but no encoding declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details"

I won't say I know a lot about programming, but the second part of the post indicates that there is a coding fix, one that python has documentation for. Additionally, an older version of the game was installed by someone encountering these issues, meaning it is more likely some error in coding occurred between versions. I would like to know I did not spend my money on Steam for nothing; I was actually very excited by your game due to the visual style and emphasis on story, and I am disappointed I am not able to play it. :(
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

If the error was in coding, EVERY ONE would be unable to play the game. So obviously that's not the case :)
The non-ASCII is probably related to your system setup (probably some language like russian, swedish,etc). However even in this case, all should work. If you have an antivirus, that's already a possible issue since they all cause various side-effect. Other programs could be interacting with it, even if I'm not sure (I remember someone on Steam that disabled an anti-cheat program and then managed to make it work).
Try to download the .zip demo I have posted on this forum (version 1.3.1), that uses the latest libraries. If still doesn't work you need to ask Ren'Py coder itself since I really have no clue what it could be (beside the antivirus).
dnd3edm1
Young scout

Post by dnd3edm1 »

I disabled the firewall and antivirus, neither fixed the problem. Unlike the previous user, disabling my antivirus did not even let me run it once- it just gave me the same error after redownloading while the antivirus and firewall were disabled. My region is currently set to English/US, so that is not the issue either. Trying 1.3.1 did not help. I do not have many other programs running in the background, and I'm really at a loss as to what it could be. Should I need to download python?