And now for something different

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
kadakithis
Druid

Re: And now for something different

Post by kadakithis »

the whole thing sounds great, you mentioned puzzles AND not able to get stuck, so its possible to fail at the puzzles and still continue?
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

The puzzles only serve as a device to unlock codex and lore, not to proceed forward in the game.
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

That is great because depending on the puzzle, I can be a whiz at it, or I can be terrible and need to look it up to advance further.

And since no one else is asking, can we play male/female? And what type of romances will be available?
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

The player will have the choice of playing either male of female protagonists. The story will essentially be the same for both but the NPCs will react differently.

As for romances, I intend to include BxG, GxB, GxG, BxB, a bromance (really) and something else which is um... different.
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

Hello world.

I'd like to ask a few more seconds of your time to ponder this short yet existential question.

When I submitted my first chapter to Jack some time ago, one of his comments was that there was one scene that was perhaps 2-3 pages long with no possible interaction from the player. "Some people might dislike this." Now, I understand that no matter what game I come up with, I can't make everyone happy but, I'd still like to discuss.

In its current state, my game offers TONS of dialogue choices, most with very little consequence besides different replies/attitude from NPCs so you never really get bored by just reading.

There is this scene however, which I am working on right now. It will be somewhere around a solid 8-10 pages long and you have absolutely ZERO interaction in it. It's a scene aimed at creating a paroxysm of suspense and terror and the first and most important tool used in that scene is that the character CAN'T ACT.

In a nutshell, I'm writing a cutscene. A very intense one at that. How do you, the player, feel about this?

Thanks!
mastro
Young scout

Post by mastro »

What you describe is similar to kinetic novel. I don't think is a good idea, at least compared to the games usually made by WW.
Even the ones of Choice of games, which are "pure text", are popular exactly because they offer a lot of options, and replayability.
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Post by Thee Forsaken One »

If it's just one or two scenes that have that then I don't see an issue but I like to read. :P
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

If you REALLY have faith that you can deliver, it might work out. Of course, there's always the "trick" of having non-choices, same result no matter what you choose, but still giving the illusion that you had some interaction and didn't just sit there being forced to read through the author's megalomaniacal ravings. ;)
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

It's very hard to give you guys any context without spoiling the story but I had an idea in the back of my head that I can work with.

You are right however: the scene has one and only one possible conclusion and it cannot be avoided.

And yes, it's just that one scene. The vast majority of the rest of the game will keep throwing dialogue choices at the player.
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

my main issue with longer text passages are the place restrictions of the GUI - 5 sentences ago is also 5 screens ago and this makes it harder to grasp the content "holistically" (for lack of a better word). if there's an elegant technical solution (maybe a temporary vertical split with enough screen estate for a couple of paragraphs) I wouldn't mind more textual input if it pushes the story in new regions