How to improve my games?

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

Let's say you could decide what extras to add to a finished game. It would be more valuable for you:

You may select 1 option

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

How to improve my games?

Post by jack1974 »

I'm asking because have some projects that are basically finished (still need to write) and I am undecided how to improve them further, so I'd like to know everyone's opinion. I am talking about not only visual novels but also dating/life sim and even RPGs! Thanks
iulius
Young scout

Re: How to improve my games?

Post by iulius »

Well, I'm a sucker for art, so most surely... more art!! PLEASE :mrgreen:
pysali
Young scout

Post by pysali »

This one was hard for me. While I love the artists you pick for your games and would be happy with more art/cgs (especially if that leads to more romance pairings) I think extra plot/writing is more important at this point. Your games are beautiful, but I've found myself enjoying them more now that you've added in more writers putting in extra content and scenes. Adds more layers to the story and characters and makes it more fun to read through.

Like Loren versus Planet Stronghold. PS is a fun game, but the romances and writing revolving teammates took a definite backseat to the fighting. Once my characters accomplished a side mission there was nothing else to it, which made a lot of the romances feel really...flat. Seriously I felt like Tom cared more for that damn vehicle then the new relationship he'd just started. I love you deluxe, hot, sexy, baby...Lisa move, I'm talking to my Lady here...That was okay, but when I compare it to Loren which has lots of battles, but also a ton more character development plus different dialog paths it adds something special. I've been enjoying it and have to tip my hat to Aleema for adding the extra shine to it. If I remember correctly she also did the really good female romances for Spirited Heart too?

I showed up because you offered female character driven visual novels, but I stayed because your none otome work involves a lot women (to interact with or play as) and a lot of LGBT characters/themes and that's fantastic. Plus you're open to feedback and pushing the envelope. Keep up the good work.
Last edited by pysali on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha yes, to be honest I don't think is even fair to compare PS with Loren at this point, since PS was made by myself only (with help of some proofreader friends) while Loren is actually 3 people (me, Aleema and Anima) so... but anyways I agree with you, and it's my fault for thinking that I could make such big projects as a RPG entirely alone. I'm not going to write directly a game anymore, will always use (hopefully good) writers from now on!
pysali wrote:I've been enjoying it and have to tip my hat to Aleema for adding the extra shine to it. If I remember correctly she also did the really good female romances for Spirited Heart too?
Yes exactly she did the female romances of Spirited Heart too :) that was a sort of test and since I liked her work so much, I decided to put her "in charge" of Loren writing, since she's much better than the previous one (who wrote only the first scenes).
pysali wrote: I showed up because you offered female character driven visual novels, but I stayed because your none otome work involves a lot women (to interact with or play as) and a lot of LGBT characters/themes and that's fantastic. Plus you're open to feedback and pushing the envelope. Keep up the good work.
Excuse me, what means LGBT?
Ideally if I could, I would make all games open to both genders (like my recent RPGs) but sometimes is not possible, so I make only the version for the market segment that appreciates more my kind of games: women :mrgreen:
(Even Bionic Heart 2 will have multiple genders, so you play also as women characters).
pysali
Young scout

Post by pysali »

Excuse me, what means LGBT?
LGBT stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender. Just quick shorthand for a lot of groups that support them and a self identifier. :D Your game ideas and plots are not bad, but I'm happy you're finding core writers to round out the beautiful artists. It gives you time to co-ordinate more games and focus on managing all of them.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah thanks didn't know that was the meaning :) And yes I should have thought about using writers sooner, some of my older products would have been even better. Well, at least now I know!
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

I like voice acting but I voted for 'other'. I'd like to see animated cut scenes in your games. .
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha wow, animated cut scenes...! hmm one of my topsecret upcoming games actually has them :wink:
Pakuska
Young scout

Post by Pakuska »

I voted for the scenes/plot/writing, but I wanted to elaborate. Because this is pretty much just at spirited heart, I am aware that that specific game has a lot of art because of the characters, locations etc. And thats really great, but when I play the game, I dont really get fond of any love interest.

In a sense, you get too fast from being acquaintances to being lovers. You dont actually "meet" the other person, The scene's itself are fun, and touching, dont get me wrong. But I would have just loved to see more dates/problems that would actually get them closer to eachother, if you ever make another game like that. (Or release an expansion pack that adds more scenes hint hint. :P)

so in my opinion, its something to work on if you do another game like that. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I actually have all the art for Spirited Heart 2, but never got time to start it, since this time I want to plan it better and possibly use a language that allows me to sell it on iOS/Android/web. But a sequel for that game is in the works, and next time will make the romances longer for each character! 8)