favorite art style

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

which art style do you prefer?

You may select up to 3 options

View results

Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: favorite art style

Post by Troyen »

Franka wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:27 am
Like in my case I am only interested in story rich games, from time to time I might feel like going for something for a gameplay but generally it is stories what I am looking for in games, and when it comes to stories it is Anime style ones that I like, (There are extremely few stories that have noting to do with Anime that I liked)
I'm not knocking you for liking something specific, that's totally up to you, it's just hard for me to understand how gaming preferences can be attributed to an aesthetic. Which is why I sometimes express bafflement when people go, "Didn't like the art. Downvoted."
While I think people can be too picky in some regards, I'm not sure why you think aesthetic can't be a deciding factor on whether or not to pick up a game. I mean, twenty years ago, some people were relying on box art to draw them to a new release.

Art isn't the only factor that decides whether or not I enjoy a game, but it's one of the easiest to quickly assess. If a game has a poor story, unless it's so bad it's obvious right off the bat, it can take a while to figure out the game is going downhill and not going to get any better. Gameplay can kind of be judged up front in respect to genre, but there are nuances in gameplay systems that make the difference between "this is still fun 10 hours later" and "plz make it stop" and it takes a while to figure out which one applies.

I don't think this is limited to games either. I certainly don't go see movies where the visual style in the trailers turns me off.

Where I disagree with DarkWolf is that I don't feel like art should define the story/gameplay. Just because something has the manga look shouldn't mean the story must then follow all the manga tropes. There should be room to experiment and mix/match all three.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Troyen wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 pmWhile I think people can be too picky in some regards, I'm not sure why you think aesthetic can't be a deciding factor on whether or not to pick up a game. I mean, twenty years ago, some people were relying on box art to draw them to a new release.
Well yeah, but I'd say there's a big difference between deciding factor and not giving something a chance. Sure, if I've got game A and game B, and all else being roughly equal, A has more appealing art (to me), I'd lean toward A. That's different from looking at B and going, "looks like crap, would never play" (not quoting any specific person here).

But yeah, I bought Barbarian 2: The Dungeon of Drax because of the box art...
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Even there, there are scales. I can't stand pixelated games anymore, so I completely skip them regardless of anything else. Why spend forty hours on something that's just going to visually bug me the entire time? But if there's a game where I'm neither enamored nor repulsed by the art, I'll give it a chance and let the story/gameplay decide if I continue.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I'm less inclined to play pixel games myself, depending on how heavily pixelated it is. I do still play some Rogue(-likes) with ASCII art from time to time though. :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

When I played Darkstalkers Resurrection, I opted to turn off the filters because I prefer the sharp edges of pixels over the blurry effect that the filters use.

Personally, I think pixel art can be beautiful. I love the stuff produced by SNK back in the 90's. However, a lot of indie devs these days use pixel art for time/budget constraints or trying too hard to appeal to nostalgia.
Last edited by Jaeger on Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

With your avatar I thought you might like pixel art :mrgreen:
Yes I think like always there can be also good-looking or bad-looking pixel art (when it's too much pixelated).
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Troyen wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 pm Where I disagree with DarkWolf is that I don't feel like art should define the story/gameplay. Just because something has the manga look shouldn't mean the story must then follow all the manga tropes. There should be room to experiment and mix/match all three.
I didn't really say that art should define the story but more that that is how it usually is. Even just between different Manga/Anime styles you can usually tell a lot about a story by having a look at art style as most Anime, Manga and VNs tend to use an art style that fits the story. Like you won't often see cute MOE style in let's say a dark military story, or heavily dramatic or psychological one and vice versa. And offcourse this is just one example.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes personally I find really jarring when there's manga art on the cute side, with some more dark or even horror games. I picked Loren's art style for a specific reason. I couldn't imagine Loren drawn for example by Deji, even if she does great stuff. I think wouldn't fit well the more mature themes of that world.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:00 am Yes personally I find really jarring when there's manga art on the cute side, with some more dark or even horror games. I picked Loren's art style for a specific reason. I couldn't imagine Loren drawn for example by Deji, even if she does great stuff. I think wouldn't fit well the more mature themes of that world.
I don't think Deji's art style is that much on a cute side, when I was talking about cute MOE style I was referring to style like one in Hyperdimension Neptunia series for example.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha I really don't like that super stylized/cute manga style :mrgreen: but of course I know that it's very popular, so I wouldn't have problems to use it in a game.