mature VN/dating sims "seriousness" poll

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

what kind of content you prefer to see in stories? (explanation in post below)

You may select 1 option

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

Re: mature VN/dating sims "seriousness" poll

Post by jack1974 »

The age question was just to see what different "age groups" thought, not referred to the age of the characters in the stories, that is a separate thing.

I think it's hard for me to make a good description of what I mean by "serious". Probably a love story that it's not all fluffy/positive events but like in real life there are issues. I made examples of Loren as SOTW mostly as the kind of writing, not all light-hearted and comedy, but with some serious moments, even life or death moments.

Heh, I think probably is better to wait until that yuri game is out, will be easier to explain using it as reference :lol:
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Post by SimonStardust »

jack1974 wrote:
SimonStardust wrote:It actually is hard to explain, because it might only apply to me and be a matter of taste. I guess I just don't want to feel too involved with the story. I only want to control the character's choices, but I dislike writing which pushes me into the role of the MC.
Hmm not sure I understood what you're saying here :o :P
Maybe you mean serious, not not too much? But I wouldn't allow stuff like gore, rape or other "game of thrones" stuff in my games ever.
Ah, no. That's not what I meant. It really depends on the writing style.
For example a huge turnoff for me while reading is the use of 2nd person narrative. I hate it when the story wants me to be or feel like the main character.
I prefer 1st person narrative because it creates a bit of distance and I get the feeling of listening to a story which the main character is telling.

As for the too realistic writing style versus "it's only a story" writing style... I can pick some examples from your own games. (Don't want to be mean to anyone. All of your writers do a great job. Some styles are just not for me.)
Where I disliked the writing because it felt too real was Loren and also PSCD. Although overall I loved both games.
On the other hand I enjoyed the writing on Heirs and Graces, C14 Dating and especially SOTW, despite two of the games having some really serious and sad moments.

But that's just the opinion of a way too picky person. xD
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm OK so in your case it's probably about writing style, than the setting itself :)
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Post by SimonStardust »

Jup. That's what I was trying to explain. xD
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

I think the main takeaway from this poll is it's mean to use "25" to delineate being "old". :(
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No, the keyword is "older", not "old".
A 5 years old, is older than a 4 years old :mrgreen: IT'S SCIENCE!!
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:The age question was just to see what different "age groups" thought, not referred to the age of the characters in the stories, that is a separate thing.

I think it's hard for me to make a good description of what I mean by "serious". Probably a love story that it's not all fluffy/positive events but like in real life there are issues. I made examples of Loren as SOTW mostly as the kind of writing, not all light-hearted and comedy, but with some serious moments, even life or death moments.

Heh, I think probably is better to wait until that yuri game is out, will be easier to explain using it as reference :lol:
I think I know what you mean, in witch case, yea I definitely go for serious.
When I read your first post saying closer to real life I thought you meant stuff like, drugs, pregnancy, cheating and similar overdone things that happen to people IRL, I know some people consider that to be a serious story and I hate those.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, I think it depends how those events/things are written though :)
OneTrueBaldo
Young scout

Post by OneTrueBaldo »

jack1974 wrote:Finally I also put an age (vague indication) because my writer and I had a theory and wanted to see if it's true (won't say what is now, maybe later) :)
Admit it, you wanted to know if it's true all the younger males are too occupied playing hentai games rather then wasting time with humorous stories, heheh...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Maybe that, yes :lol: