what games should I make?

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

what kind of story-based games you'd like me to do? (VN mode will be always an option)

You may select up to 4 options

18%
15%
11%
12%
10%
12%
10%
5%
5%
1%

Total votes: 281

Jaeger
Druid

Re: what games should I make?

Post by Jaeger »

Some months back, I tried the demo for Grand Kingdom. This video below may give you a idea of the combat.

Honestly, I wasn't too crazy about the QTE/combo elements, but I was intrigued by the use of lanes. It doesn't allow for much movement as a grid, but it's ideal for smaller parties, where a few well-placed units can make a difference. It might also be easier to program than a grid, since there are fewer variables to consider.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha very nice. Yes even something like this, without a real map but with lanes, it's interesting to play, and just complex enough (I don't want to make games too complex anymore).
Something similar it's Darkest Dungeon, with the single row but attacks that only hit certain targets/patterns :)
Rebly82
Woods ranger

Post by Rebly82 »

For me, I picked "Raising/life sim, More casual/simple RPGs, Adventure games (solving situation with object/interactions and puzzles), Card games", due to the limit in choices! :lol:

I often enjoy the fantastic addition of a gameplay component on top of the story. Gives it more value and extra things to do in the game. The only dealbreaker for me, is if the gameplay rushes you with a time limit or requires too difficult combos to make it work. But other than that, I love Jack's experimentation with different ideas. It seems Jack is also great at striking a good balance in difficulty level for the various players. :)
felyarpg
Young scout

Post by felyarpg »

My preference is for more simple RPGs, but since I've grow up with many point and click games, I'd love more adventures with puzzle and object interactions :) or, even better, a simple/casual RPG with some puzzle in the middle.

Surprisingly (for me) I really liked PSCD, and I never was a fan of card games, so I would really like a new card game.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Rebly82 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:23 am The only dealbreaker for me, is if the gameplay rushes you with a time limit or requires too difficult combos to make it work. But other than that, I love Jack's experimentation with different ideas. It seems Jack is also great at striking a good balance in difficulty level for the various players.
The secret is to always provide many difficulty levels in options, so hopefully one of them is good for everyone :)
Regarding time limits, I think depends how are done. In Cursed Lands there's a time limit but the pacing it's much more relaxing. In practice there's still a plenty of time to do all the things you want to do, and the game will even warn you the first few times you click end of turn, if you're missing something.
felyarpg wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:24 am My preference is for more simple RPGs, but since I've grow up with many point and click games, I'd love more adventures with puzzle and object interactions :) or, even better, a simple/casual RPG with some puzzle in the middle.
One of my favorite games I played when was younger is Quest For Glory series, or Shannara by Legend. Would be cool an adventure/RPG mix indeed :)
felyarpg wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:24 am Surprisingly (for me) I really liked PSCD, and I never was a fan of card games, so I would really like a new card game.
Haha if I had to make a game now just based on what I would have most fun, I would do a card game. Sadly need to finish a lot of RPGs first :mrgreen: But Undead Lily will basically be a card game without the random draw element (so more like a strategy game in practice). I think could be interesting.
weaselton
Young scout

Post by weaselton »

I went with Plain VN and the RPG options.

I don't know how the overall performance of SOTW was for you in the end on the financial side, but I still feel it's your best work. I have played Loren, SOTW, The Heileen games, and Planet Stronghold through. (Not all endings) and enjoyed each for varying reasons.

That being said I know you need to eat so make what-ever games you need to pay the bills.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The main issue of SOTW was how long took me to make. 10 months is definitely too much :lol: I think if I could do such a game but without going nuts (there really wasn't the need of 100+ enemies etc) that could still be worth it. Anyways, after I finish all the next games I might be a bit burned out making RPGs :lol: so we'll see!
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:43 am The main issue of SOTW was how long took me to make. 10 months is definitely too much :lol:
Says a guy who usually makes games for 3-5 years :lol:

On a serious note I too voted for plain VNs and complex RPGs, if there is some gameplay I prefer it to be complex if not then just better stick to the storytelling, that is what most of us here for anyway.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Only last year I made 5...! This year I made Amber, and probably will manage to make 1 more. It's hard to keep such high pace :)
The main problem is when there are too many "new things" to do. SOTW was built on Loren but had a LOT of new things (map, randomized items, tons of enemies, new AI, etc). Queen Of Thieves had some innovations too, but much less. Amber wasn't a RPG but the crafting sim really too much more time than I thought. In practice it's hard to know before how long a "new gameplay" will take. If instead it's based mostly on an existing gameplay, things should be much faster.