Amber crafting gameplay

A fantasy crafting/dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/ambersmagicshop.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Amber crafting gameplay

Post by jack1974 »

So I am thinking what's the best direction to go with this game.
I mean, since Amber is an alchemist, it should be mostly doing potions, and a bit of other things.
I had the idea of alchemists using their knowledge to refine raw materials, or even gems. I made the ingots recipes, and also made all those skills.
I am unsure though if to keep going in this direction, or stick more into a classic alchemist recipes.
Of course any recipe I add is not wasted, since I'll be able to reuse it in Loren 2 or other future fantasy games. But in practice I'm thinking about what I should do to make this game in particular.

For example, should Amber be doing also jewelry? I could add the whole thing (I have already the ore -> ingot part), then I would need the gem->refined gems and put together. Though people might wonder: then an alchemist DOES EVERYTHING? (jewelry, armor/weaponsmith, etc). And it seems a bit unrealistic to be honest :lol:

My plan currently it's this:
1) Amber can do some basic "refinement" tasks: refine ore into ingots, gem nugget into pebble/crystals, and so on. I figure that even if a smith or jeweler could do those, an alchemist could still do them as well. Just not forge the actual weapon/armor or craft the jewel, otherwise we would again move into "I CRAFT EVERYTHING" dangerous territory :mrgreen:
Those tasks are useful to make a bit of money during the dead periods of the game or while you wait for other ingredients to arrive, etc.
2) proper potion-making: this would be the main focus of this game, and would involve combining the most crazy ingredients into powerful potions
3) imbuing/enchanting items: this would also work, like wooden figurines, talismans, etc. I think an alchemist is the appropriate person to ask (well beside a witch but they're not allowed in Icesilia! :wink:)

I think with this plan, there should still be good variety of items, but without the need to go nuts. I would also limit Amber's skills into 5:
Metalworking (ore->ingot)
Gemcutting (nugget->pebble/crystal gems)
Woodworking (wood->planks->figurines, magic staves and other stuff)
Potionmaking (the classic ingredients->potions)
Enchanting (basically take any item like rings/earrings/pendants and imbue it. Like use liquid/oil/potions to give the item magical properties)

In summary, an alchemist would know a bit of metalworking, jewelcrafting and woodworking but not skilled enough to do weapons, jewelry, armor (otherwise the other professions would run out of business! :lol:). They would have superior knowledge of making potions and enchanting items with the potions they made (this could be seen as last step, once the potion is done, there could be some process/ritual to use the potion on the item).

OK sorry for the long rant, hopes it makes sense!! :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: Amber crafting gameplay

Post by Franka »

Not that there's anything wrong with an alchemist being able to craft jewels, weapons and armor, it could be more a matter of time and quality.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Jewels maybe, but weapons and armors would be a bit weird. Never seen in a RPG "this sword was crafted by a skilled alchemist" :lol: A ring, earring, etc instead could maybe work, even if alchemist usually means potions.
Anyway for now will start from the bottom, then if I have time and makes sense in the gameplay, I guess I could add jewels too.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

jack1974 wrote:Jewels maybe, but weapons and armors would be a bit weird. Never seen in a RPG "this sword was crafted by a skilled alchemist" :lol: A ring, earring, etc instead could maybe work, even if alchemist usually means potions.
Anyway for now will start from the bottom, then if I have time and makes sense in the gameplay, I guess I could add jewels too.
Well, at least a few games have them craft magical weapons (staves, wands, etc.) for casters, but it is uncommon. There are plenty of medicines and herbal remedies and such you could focus on instead.

Also, how is your crafting gameplay going to work? Do you just select the items and press "create"? Is the gameplay around gathering the items, discovering the recipes, or creating the item itself?
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

Troyen wrote:Also, how is your crafting gameplay going to work? Do you just select the items and press "create"? Is the gameplay around gathering the items, discovering the recipes, or creating the item itself?
Indeed, that brings up something I've wanted to know: at any point would the player be able to try out combining ingredients w/o anything set up prior, and see what comes out? :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

IRL Alchemists ware early scientist , in Fantasy RPGs they are usually treated as magical scientists or people who combine the two so I think anything really goes for them from potions to magical weapons and armor to wired inventions, while blacksmith creates large quantity of normal weapons and armor Alchemists makes a few magical ones.
jack1974 wrote:Never seen in a RPG "this sword was crafted by a skilled alchemist"
Kamidori Alchemy Meister
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Troyen wrote: Well, at least a few games have them craft magical weapons (staves, wands, etc.) for casters, but it is uncommon. There are plenty of medicines and herbal remedies and such you could focus on instead.
Yes staves and wands could be another good exception indeed. If I add jewelry I guess I could also add that.
Troyen wrote: Also, how is your crafting gameplay going to work? Do you just select the items and press "create"? Is the gameplay around gathering the items, discovering the recipes, or creating the item itself?
Currently you can buy recipes and then if you have the ingredients, craft it.

I should talk about Anima about adding "discoverable recipes", since that would be something very different from how the system works now. It could be fun though, so if it's possible, I'd like to try adding it :)
The gameplay would consist of:
- get ingredients (gathering, buying them)
- get recipes (buying, maybe if it gets implemented with "discovery")
- craft items
- put them on sale in your shop
This part would be very similar to Recettear, for those who played it. Apart that of course in this game there's no dungeon/combat.

Sometimes the items could sell quickly (depending on price, demand, etc) while other times could take a lot of time. A feature already implemented is "salvaging". You can salvage an item to retrieve some materials, so if you craft something that doesn't sell you can salvage it and reuse some of the materials to produce something new.

Then, there would be the "commissions/orders" (I'll need to find the right word). In practice people ask you to craft item X in Y days for a big reward (much more than the usual sell price) and fulfilling these "orders" would also increase your overall fame, unlocking more recipes and stuff.

It's also a sort of test for a possible implementation of crafting in future RPGs :)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Most games I know have crafting where you select recipes and then click a button and watch a progress bar. But FFXIV treats it pretty much like an rpg class. You have one set of abilities that attempt to increase the quality of an item, where the higher the quality the higher the chance for a high-qualty item (better stats, can sell for 2x-3x more). The other set increases the "crafting progress" where you need 100% progress to finish the item or the craft fails. Each action you take reduces the item's durability, but there are a number of other special actions you can use to reduce durability loss, repair the loss, or augment your synthesis/quality abilities. (And of course, your gear contains crafting stats to increase the attributes used for synthesis or quality or action points.)

It turns crafting essentially into a 30-60 second minigame if you're aiming for a high-quality item. Or if you don't care, you can skip all the quality stuff and craft a normal item in about five seconds. But it's a lot more involved than watching a progress bar.

On the other hand, I know games like the Atelier series are more focused on resource gathering and (I think) recipe experimentation. So a completely different type of crafting gameplay. I have also seen a few games here and there that have small minigames to craft where say, ingredient sequence is important and you're trying not to overheat your mixture by throwing everything in at once.

But that's why I was asking what you meant by "crafting".
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I know there are some games with crafting minigames. I never played FFXIV, but I played Everquest 2 which has something similar too, while crafting you must click some icons/skills that would change the result.

I thought about a system like this, though for now Amber it's more about resource gathering and buying/selling at the right price. Each recipe has a time to make, so for the commission/orders you'll be running against time (not real-time, but in-game turns). Also we don't have the durability stat in the game (but of course could be added).

Not saying that I couldn't use such system, but in practice:
1) worse case, I could always add it as last thing, once everything works. Since it would only impact the quality and durability of item, everything else beside the minigame would work the same
2) my players usually don't like real-time stuff :) so I am not sure if they would like something like that.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

So it's more of an economic simulation? Will have to see when the demo comes out, since it's a bit hard to grasp.

(Also, the crafting systems I mentioned are all turn-based once you get to the crafting screen. No need for real-time crafting.)