Amber's recipe thread

A fantasy crafting/dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/ambersmagicshop.htm
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Re: Amber's recipe thread

Post by Miakoda »

By the way, you have numerous things like blood, eggs, etc. which also may have their own attributes like the gems above. The following list is just a suggestion, and of course you can add things to it as well. And once again, there is going to be overlap. After all, a bat's blood might be used in a potion of flight, but the blood of a hawk could work as well.

Bat - darkness, flight, location
Bear - strength, healing, growth, sleep
Deer - plant magic, speed, fear
Eel - ambush, electricity
Lion - mastery over animals (yeah king of beast thing)
Firefly - light
Fox - stealth and camouflage
Hawk - air, flight detection, command over birds
Human - Powers over the mind, other people
Maggots - this could be good for necromancy
Mole - powers of earth
Owl - Wisdom, knowledge
Porcupine - armor, defense, protection
Snake - Poison, stealth, surprise
Spider - master of insects, trapping/ensnaring
Squirrel - maybe food magic?, storage/preservation (what they do with nuts)
Wolf - tracking, hunting, and attack
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

You forgot about the most important animal!

Bunny! - fertility, luck, um potency ;), speed
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks, having items associated to specific sort of magic is a good idea. Will also update the wiki accordingly :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Miakoda wrote:Something else I would recommend is try to establish a guide where certain gems/herbs/etc. tend to be used with a specific sort of magic. Not that you have to adhere to it 100%, but Alchemists did study things, and group them by their supposed 'magical' attributes. This can also make it a little easier for the game if you have an idea to look for.

For example, with Gems you might use (this is pooled from various sources). Others will be suggestions since I don't think you want to add more gems :) Finally, some of these will have overlap.

Agate - focus, concentration, protection
Amber - reversal, change - I would also recommend plants (jade normally would be that), but since amber comes from trees...
Amethyst - Clarity of the mind, influencing others, possibly clairvoyance and healing
Beryl - element air, fights, creativity, intelligence
Coral - if pearl is used for women, maybe coral could be used for men. It has also connotations of immortality,
Diamond - Strength, durability, the element of earth
Emerald - inspires extreme emotion (love, passion, etc.) and reproduction. This could be used to make copies of stuff as well
Garnet - Spheres of luck and pleasure
Malachite - amplification, change, some protection as well
Opal - sympathy, compassion, faith and love, foresight
Pearl - purity, women, and the element of water
Quartz - moon, sexuality, deception, madness, illusion
Ruby - justice, the element of fire, destruction, blood
Turquoise - corruption, putrefaction, necromancy, darkness

The one Gem I left out of the above is Azurite since it isn't commonly mentioned. Maybe it could have control of Magic. Sources I do have say it is good for traveling out of body and channeling. Maybe it could also be used for summoning/banishment.
"Azurite has a transformative quality that stimulates an increase in communication skills, intuition, creativity and inspiration."
http://crystal-cure.com/azurite.html

Also regarding Quartz it is actually believed to have different effects regarding on it's color as Quartz comes in many different colors, in general Quartz is believed to be power amplifier during magic.
http://crystal-cure.com/blue-quartz.html

Also an interesting info regarding Amethyst, I had read that in old Egypt Amethyst was more expensive then Diamond or Gold.
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

As Miakoda said about various things w/ animals:

Crab - I've heard of shells being used in spells as a reversal thing (crabs walk backward and so their shells reverse something done)

Nests from stinging insects (wasps, hornets, etc.) - protective powders/potions (enemies/thieves become leery of people/property and are less likely to target)

Jellyfish - same basic concept, esp. out at sea; also to make warships more powerful (there was even a real-life variety of warship known as the Man-o-War used by the English in the 16th-19th centuries; a dangerously poisonous species related to jellyfish came to bear the same name)

---------------

Real-life thing: the waste, blood, bone, and feathers from animals are all used for making fertilizers/boosters/flower-color changers (ex.: making hydrangeas turn from white to blue) if Amber will be making anything for agricultural people
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

And something else to bear in mind is that alchemists will certainly come up with different recipes which may create similar potions. Not that you have to go to in depth on this, but it could be interesting if Amber might compare recipes to someone else.

I mean, someone from a far northern area (like in Seasons of the Wolf) will have different recipes than someone that might come from a tropical island, but could achieve the same ends.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes if nothing else because they wouldn't have the same ingredients available. Even with Dingirra's "commercial portals" wouldn't be easy :mrgreen:
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

*grins* And looking at the recipe list/ideas, it really makes me want to include a 'bareskin rug' as a trap.

It would look like a regular bear-skin rug, but it would be enchanted to teleport someone's clothes/armor/weapons away upon stepping on it ;)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

A problem I'm facing now that I'm defining the various gems, is that for gameplay reasons I need to have tiers. Obviously at the 7th (top) tier there's Diamond and Ruby. However, doing this seems that for example Turquoise, which is tier 5th would be less powerful (tiers measure the crafting difficulty). Which means necromancy could be less powerful than destruction (Ruby) and that is OK, but at same time necromancy could be more powerful than Beryl (intelligence, creativity etc).
I think I'll solve this by having the easiest to craft gems having difficult/rare other ingredients to balance everything.
I mean is normal that some gems are more precious, but there shouldn't be a really big difference between the others.
Another solution could be that you need a powerful magic to activate the gem anyway. So an archmage could be more powerful with a beryl ring than an apprentice with a ruby talisman, etc.

Maybe I'm overthinking it :lol:
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:A problem I'm facing now that I'm defining the various gems, is that for gameplay reasons I need to have tiers. Obviously at the 7th (top) tier there's Diamond and Ruby. However, doing this seems that for example Turquoise, which is tier 5th would be less powerful (tiers measure the crafting difficulty). Which means necromancy could be less powerful than destruction (Ruby) and that is OK, but at same time necromancy could be more powerful than Beryl (intelligence, creativity etc).
I think I'll solve this by having the easiest to craft gems having difficult/rare other ingredients to balance everything.
I mean is normal that some gems are more precious, but there shouldn't be a really big difference between the others.
Another solution could be that you need a powerful magic to activate the gem anyway. So an archmage could be more powerful with a beryl ring than an apprentice with a ruby talisman, etc.

Maybe I'm overthinking it :lol:
Something to also consider is that if you have gems related to certain areas, then a given Gem might be more powerful than a rarer one...essentially allowing for a higher tier if you want. Take the above example. A Diamond could be a good, general tier gem, but a Beryl might actually prove more powerful if it is used in an item/enchantment to make Intelligence.

The other thing to consider is that for most magical items, a gem is just one part of it. So if you have 'rarer' other ingredients used, that could also make it more powerful. After all, the blood of a dragon is bound to be more powerful than a blood of an orc...