Post by jack1974 »

Will do, thanks :)
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Re: Amber Full Beta 0.8.8

Post by Thee Forsaken One »

Troyen wrote:
jack1974 wrote:There, on next update will display this text:
currently was bugged, I set the maximum jobs to 2, so indeed if you had already got one from the market/docks they won't show in mage/adventurer. On next update it will :) Thanks for finding the bug!
Quick nitpick: move "maximum" to after "tasks".
Either that or stick 'a' before 'maximum'.
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

Something that I think would make sense to have changed, but I get it if it's too late w/ all that's happened in terms of coding to do so:

When Amber has alignment changes w/ characters she's just met, wouldn't it make more sense to not have their names displayed in the "Alignment Change" bar since there haven't been introductions? Have something like "Dock Worker" for Bernard and "Mysterious Girl" for Ruby, etc.?

(As always, NOT MEANT AS AN ATTACK; simply a thing I see as being more like real life.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I can show the names the same way as in the status screen, no problem :)
winter32
Young scout

Post by winter32 »

Minor nitpicks for 0.8.8:

- First screen after the time transition still has the 'teen' large-eyed Amber doing the narration, kind of messes up the otherwise nice effect of her appearance becoming more 'adult' :d
- The 'year' of game world date for the game saves on the save/load screens is always "698", even though technically 4 years pass between the start of the game and the beginning of adulthood stage. Aside from looking silly makes it slightly harder to tell the precedence of saves (can't always rely on the 'real world' save time stamp for that)

edit: also, somewhat confusing -- the shop upgrade screen says the various rooms like forge etc are "required to craft items" but it seems you can craft things in the starter, completely bare-bones shop quite normally..?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Do you have a save just before the young->adult age transition? here seems fine. For sure the savegame year, all my adult age saves have 702 as year, this since very old versions, so I am not sure why yours isn't updating!

You can craft the basic items but you'll see that after certain recipes need to upgrade the various work rooms, in practice Forge 1 required for recipes with Metalwork between 100-150, Forge 2 for Metalwork 150-250 and Forge 3 for Metalwork up to 300 (the maximum).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah nevermind, I put the age change a few lines too below, now I've seen it :) Will work on the next update. As for the year it should be correctly set, I don't know why you aren't getting the right one :(
winter32
Young scout

Post by winter32 »

Well i don't know either, but if it's supposed to be working i'll just chalk it up to the gremlins on my end :D

(to clarify, the year on the left pane during normal gameplay shows what it should, and the day/month on the save/load screen also shows correct, it's only the year there that seems stuck. certainly weird, but it's very minor thing)

I see about the items, ok, it makes sense. I just thought the requirement would make sense, too -- that way, if you didn't have foresight to save up like Amber says she was, you'd have to spend some time gathering to raise the funds. And having to maybe choose at the start of your adult career what areas to 'unlock' and focus on first could make the player feel they have more influence over how they shape their game, idk. But as it is works, too.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

winter32 wrote:Well i don't know either, but if it's supposed to be working i'll just chalk it up to the gremlins on my end :D

(to clarify, the year on the left pane during normal gameplay shows what it should, and the day/month on the save/load screen also shows correct, it's only the year there that seems stuck. certainly weird, but it's very minor thing)
Yes I understood that is only in the load/save. But is weird because the variable used it's the same, so if shows correctly on the left panel it SHOULD show correctly also in the save screen! :lol:
In practice I refresh the save name every day (when you click end day):

Code: Select all

$ save_name = ("%s %d, %s, %s" % (WeekDayShort[CurWeekDay],CurDay,Seasons[CurSeason],CurYear))
It's almost bullet-proof so I really am not sure why that happens. Mystery :o
winter32
Young scout

Post by winter32 »

I have an update on the year thing :D
The saves for the 'after the time skip' started to show 702 as the year after a day or so, so i guess this is just the 'update the values at the end of the day' thing.
I think i got to some degree confused because for the 'teen' part of the game i expected the year to gradually go from 698->699->700 (and then skip to 702), based on the narrative and the season changes, but this never really happens, the year is always 698 (also on the left pane in the main game screen) and when the first save after the time skip (before going to next day) also had 698, i started thinking maybe it's an overall error.