Planet Stronghold: Warzone dev thread

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
Quitch
Young scout

Re: Planet Stronghold: Warzone dev thread

Post by Quitch »

Oh yes, there are a lot of threads, both before and after a Bioware game release, solely focusing on the romance options. It's a big thing in their games. Hard to tell if it's simply a vocal minority or not, but regardless, Bioware have increasingly made it a big part of their games.
SpectralTime
Woods ranger

Post by SpectralTime »

...The rational RPG player in me agrees with you. The rabid Tali shipper in me has already begun a spam crusade to get them to show us her face in Mass Effect 3, and who cares if some retards decide they don't like it?
Kukalie
Young scout

Post by Kukalie »

Hah. I have lost count how many romance threads there is on Biowares forums XD
Quitch
Young scout

Post by Quitch »

SpectralTime wrote: The rabid Tali shipper in me
She is adorable. I sent Legion down the tubes because I couldn't bring myself to risk Tali. I'd be a terrible commander :)
SpectralTime
Woods ranger

Post by SpectralTime »

Nah. He... it... they'll live. Worse comes to worse, won't they just wink into a new-

[youtube]Pretend this is a link to Legion's death in the vents.[/youtube]

:shock:

...Oh dear.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha cool. I personally I'm a fan of romances in RPGs, so if the number of people who like to have them in RPGs increases, I'm happy!
And about Tali, I think the fact that you never see her face is exactly what makes her so sexy. Along with the voice. Hmm. I really need to add voices to my next games, they really add something for romance (at least from my male point of view).
OromeAldaron
Young scout

Post by OromeAldaron »

prev.post++

I too like romances in RPGs - and it's very nice to have different options. While in Neverwinter Nights it was just a small part, it was e.g. in Dragon Age: Origins much more substantial and improved. The Witcher had quite a non-US, more explicit, European-way of romance and sex. And there is a lot of improvement in this area to envision.... I just hope the RPG developers will embrace AI concepts of molding characters around the playing style of the gamer and adapting the NPC scripts accordingly.

And yes, voices are a great add-on to the game - voices add another dimension of sensual interaction with the game. Voices add dynamics to the games (esp. as graphics are not changing in an FPS scale...). Voices make characters more alive and distinctable, as the voice pattern is an NPC-specific characteristic. Voices can express moods in ways that are more direct (=faster) and more pronounced (=impact ) than text - the audiovisual transfer of NPCs' moods from the screen/loudspeaker to the player's brain is much stronger than the textual/visual transfer, as the text has to be evaluated using our analytical brain parts, while audio has more direct impact on the 'feeling' / emotional brain parts.
SpectralTime
Woods ranger

Post by SpectralTime »

I actually sometimes have trouble with voices, if the lines are too silly/sex oriented. It makes me think, not of the story or characters, but of the VA who had to record them and how embarrassed they must have been to do it.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OromeAldaron wrote: I just hope the RPG developers will embrace AI concepts of molding characters around the playing style of the gamer and adapting the NPC scripts accordingly.
For Loren RPG the writer Aleema is doing a cool thing, changing the dialogues options based on the player behavior. There are mainly 4 types of answer (like in Dragon Age 2): Friendly, Joking, Forceful and Flirty/Sexy. So if you always picked Forceful later in the game you'll behave this way in some points, while if you always joked the player will joke, and so on. The dialog also follows the main plot (you can talk with them mostly during camping, between battles).
When I start writing Planet Stronghold: Warzone I want to use the same system too :)
SpectralTime wrote:I actually sometimes have trouble with voices, if the lines are too silly/sex oriented. It makes me think, not of the story or characters, but of the VA who had to record them and how embarrassed they must have been to do it.
Haha, I remember when I had to insert the voices of Bionic Heart, the voice actress who did Tanya had several redo-outtakes. Some were quite funny, it was clear that she was laughing while saying some sentences. I honestly never heard any "embarrassment" in their sentences though :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

A quick update. The following romance CGs have been finished already:
Joshua - Shiler (takes place in a nice jungle setting, colorful)
Lisa - Cliff (in a cave... nice view of Lisa's butt and Cliff has naked chest)
Lisa - Tom (I love the coloring on this one. They're on bed, Lisa shows a super sexy lingerie and Tom naked waist up with some scars of battle and muscles)
Lisa - Milo (this will probably be the favorite of girls. some naked skin here too, takes place in locker room

I also got the Lisa - Lakadema sketch, and is the hottest I've seen so far :D Full nudity on this one (even if is artistic nudity... hehe). I think this will be the main reason for male players to play as Lisa!! 8)