With or without background location art ?

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here

which screenshot looks better?

You may select 1 option

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

With or without background location art ?

Post by jack1974 »

UPDATED the image with a better comparison!
It might not be exactly representative, because the map is different from up to down. But basically, the upper screenshot has no background art (behind the isometric map) while the screenshot on the bottom has it. They're generic background art to represent the zone/location/area.
Which one looks better? I have actually also another idea, to have some sort of black shroud around the map so it gets more focus, might try to do a mockup later if I have time :)
ValHallen
Druid

Re: With or without background location art ?

Post by ValHallen »

I think with background is more immersive
RosasWarrior
Young scout

Post by RosasWarrior »

Right now, I am leaving more to without, the background is a little distracting if I want to focus on the battle. I'll have to see if it'll be less distracting with the black shroud :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Another user on twitter suggested more opaque floor tiles, which is also a good idea I think.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Option to toggle background requested.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Heh that's always a good solution indeed. We have already toggle near/far wall on/off (though probably makes sense only near walls) so we could just add that and solve the dispute :)
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Would be interesting to see how the background looks once all tiles are uncovered. I fear it might not be that great. Also, some kinds of background may distract (the muted tones shown should be OK). My vote is for without.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

True, here's a screenshot with background and fully explored map:
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Hmm... the vote seems to go "with background"... I still like the bare background better, as it seems my opinion is in the minority.

Maybe you should make sure there is nothing relevant in the obscured part, and that the background does not change meaning somehow once the map is uncovered. There may be any number of pitfalls - but WW is an experienced studio full of professionals so you will avoid the pitfalls of course. 8)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The majority of votes was cast BEFORE I put this last image :oops: so I don't think is really representative, since I think that with the background ultimately gets too much confusing. I think it should be more transparent otherwise it risks to get in the way... anyway I enabled changing votes, so people that see the new image can change the vote in the poll (also updated the first image).