Sneak Preview #24 – Roger Steel in trouble again ...

A steampunk RPG
ValHallen
Druid

Re: Sneak Preview #24 – Roger Steel in trouble again ...

Post by ValHallen »

there is going to be diferent plot points depending on the sex of the protagonist?
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

ValHallen wrote:there is going to be diferent plot points depending on the sex of the protagonist?
To some extent, yes. In particular, some characters will be more or less forthcoming and might have different priorities depending on your character's sex, sexual orientation, and abilities. But, things might change a bit during testing so I don't want to over-sell this now. Subject for a future Sneak Preview, methinks. :)
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

can you say anithing about arthur?
ankewl
Young scout

Post by ankewl »

FenCayne wrote:
ankewl wrote:
jack1974 wrote:No it's not from the character's PoV (indeed if you look is written in 3rd person). In the beginning of the game there's a short scene introducing Roger Steel, then you can select if to play as male/female main character. Roger will be like Loren, a star-character but at least in this one you don't play a slave :lol:
Is it going to be like Lone Ranger and Tonto (we play as Tonto) :?:
Or Tonta, as the case may be? (Tonto's tougher older sister, edited from history by the rampant sexism of our times ...)

Yeah, Ann is certainly no slave or camp follower of Steel's. She'd make Spartacus' rebellion look like a pillow fight in a convent school. :lol:
Interesting, didn't know about Tonta! I don't want to mess with Ann :lol:

Oh yeah, this is something I've been meaning to ask: how do you approach writing the opposite sex?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Mark will be able to reply you better, but basically we wanted to make sure that if you want, you can be "only friend" with homosexual/bisex characters without triggering unwanted romance randomly :)
biscuit
Woods ranger

Post by biscuit »

Including improved friendship with characters who wouldn't be interested in you anyway?

Reason being, in Loren I really enjoyed interacting with Draco, but he only really opens up if you romance him... so Elenor missed out on some neat discussions.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

We talked about this already in another thread, but forgot which one! if I remember correctly what Mark said, in practice we'll try to add also a friendship path, but of course we'll first focus on the romances :)
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

FenCayne wrote:Not sure whether you are interested in steampunk, but the Roger Steel game I'm currently writing could have something of what you are looking for ('deep' same-sex friendships without the complications of romance). It could even lead to special 'events'/quests or stat/ability bonuses. Depends on the word-count (which is less than half the size of Loren) and a few things besides - not least game engine support - but certainly I see value in having these type of relationships in games. No promises, though, at this stage.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2837
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

ValHallen wrote:can you say anithing about arthur?
Arthur will have a few words to say in tomorrow's blog post from Jack ...
Svanhildr
Young scout

Post by Svanhildr »

Very interesting! I'm already quite excited for this game :P I better cool down some I think.