Style ideas

Boxing management simulation game
KnockOut
Young scout

Style ideas

Post by KnockOut »

Ideas for fight strategies:

Okay, I've been playing some other boxing games and I've found some ideas that I think could go in UBM.

The three styles right now are Offensive, Defensive, and Movement.

New Defensive Styles:

Clinch:
-Tires your opponent out(This effect is greater the taller and heavier you are from your opponent)
-The stronger you are the better you are at clinching
-Can get penalized by ref for excessive clinching

Counterstrike:
-Counter your opponents strikes with your own(The longer your reach is the better you are, if you have long arms you can throw hooks while your opponent throws straights)

New Offensive Styles:

Inside:
-Try to get inside the reach of the longer armed opponent so he can't get full power on his strikes while you can(The shorter your arms are versus your opponent the better this works)

Ring:
-Muscle your opponent into the ropes or corner(The stronger and heavier you are the better this style works)

New Movement Styles:

Outside:
-Keep out of your opponents reach and score points with jabs

Other stylistic effects:

Coventional stance versus Soutpaw. You could be able to switch between rounds.

Your bob and weaving style.

Where you keep your hands. By your chin, etc.
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

If it could be implemented it would be quite interesting... course we gotta have the occasional boxer who doesn't listen... and they need some autonomy in case it doesn't work. If the long-reached opponent keeps them at bay when they try to get inside, they might need to switch mid-round because they're being busted up.

I think the reflexive boxer is already a bit on the counterstrike level, and the defensive would be for counterpunching in a way, just not totally.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Seems nice system. However from what I see I have before to implement also the statistics of "arms reach". That would mean that all current boxing savegames wouldn't work with new update :twisted:
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

So? I've started a few careers. 8)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes not a big deal :)
But what I mean is that I want to collect all possible new stats for boxer since everytime I add a new one, the savegames aren't compatible. So better think well about all the new ones, even if I don't implement it straight away, I need to allocate the space in the DB structure to use in a later update.
KnockOut
Young scout

Post by KnockOut »

So better think well about all the new ones, even if I don't implement it straight away, I need to allocate the space in the DB structure to use in a later update.
New features:

Reach is a must
Weight cutting and losing and gaining weight is a must

Rather than doing styles you may want to do stances (south philly, cross-armed, hybrid, etc.) Certain stances lend themselves to different styles for example south philly is a counterstrike style

A pre-fight screen is a must that explains whether the fighter is agressive/reflexive/crazy his height, weight, reach, scouted stats and record because well it's hard to remember that when you have multiple fighters.

Cuts/clinching/cheating are a must eventually.

Then there needs to a better way to see how the effect of your strategy is occuring in the fight. For example, you can't see how much body or head damage your opponent has. You can't see if the opponent is fighting southpaw or orthodox. You don't know what style your opponent used in each round.[/quote]
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

KnockOut wrote:Certain stances lend themselves to different styles for example south philly is a counterstrike style
Well when I'll implement this, surely I'll need your help, since I don't know all those stances and what they mean (counterstrike, etc) :) or if you know a webpage where it's clearly explained, post it here please 8)
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

Here are some good ones: http://how-to-box.com/boxing/boxing_styles

The fun thing is southpaws. I've learned that if a right-hander can keep his foot outside he'll have a better shot at it, but if his foot is inside the southpaw can really get in on him. I suppose you could have a stat for righties as to how well they handle lefties (and lefties against lefties). I guess some really good boxers find themselves in trouble when it comes to the lefties because of this. Thus lefties have some natural advantages, you'll want to keep the percentages down.

His thoughts on being able to switch stances is a good one, although it couldn't be widely used. I'm ambidextrous myself and can do semi-ok from both sides. I'm technically a lefty but I fight better right handed, but I can handle myself from the southpaw stance. Not that I've ever been in a real fight, but I'm doing training for fun (the Sweetheart won't let me box for real hehe). Anyway, they'd lose a lot switching sides for instance, but neutralize some of the advantages the lefty has.

And your head should be swimming about now. If I really tried I might be able to figure out some formulas that might help.
KnockOut
Young scout

Post by KnockOut »

jack1974 wrote:Yes not a big deal :)
But what I mean is that I want to collect all possible new stats for boxer since everytime I add a new one, the savegames aren't compatible. So better think well about all the new ones, even if I don't implement it straight away, I need to allocate the space in the DB structure to use in a later update.
I've thought about this and most of the time a fundamental change is made in gameplay you want to restart the game. As an example, from reading all of Ken Goding's musings on creating Super Boxers, I know to put all my starting stats in training and scouting, to always use the lowest doctor level, gradually build reputation using starting boxer until you can get the best sixteen year old boxer(s) you can find and to use movement style until both morale and fitness is at it's maximum.

If the game was changed so that negotiating and charisma were better stats then I would want to start the game over because I wouldn't fully get to experience the game changes if I just continued with the current game(because I would have no charisma or negotiating!).

I think not wanting to restart when a new version is uploaded is the exception and not the rule.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

True, I see your point now :)
Restarting a match isn't so bad as it seems, if there are enough changes!