Windows Mac Linux Mobile Web Forums Blog Support

Suggestions welcome

First person CRPG, based on the old classics like Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder

Suggestions welcome

Postby jack1974 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:06 pm

I've decided to start another CRPG, while I'm doing the next Magic Stones update. I feel inspired for more swords and sorcery 8)
I want to make a game similar to the dungeon-exploration games in the past, like Dungeon Master or Eye of the beholder since I got many requests for such games from the forums/blog, and also because is a kind of game I like a lot too!
I'll maily write about it in my blog so if you're curious to know how it's progressing, just read it.
If you have ANY suggestion, feel free to post here. I'm on design stage now so definitely can implement any weird idea you could have! :twisted:
User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
 
Posts: 8923
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Postby Ken_Goding » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:07 pm

Put yourself in as an unbeatable enemy mwuhahaha.

I don't know much about these kinds of games, so you'll find me relatively silent now. :)
Ken_Goding
Young scout
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:50 am

Postby jack1974 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Hehe lol, what kind of games you like, except of course boxing! :lol:
User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
 
Posts: 8923
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Postby Ken_Goding » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:58 pm

I'm really just a sports guy, I do a little of the Sim City type stuff, strategy without killing. Not into magic and RPGs. Boxing is about as violent as I get hehe, and it's because it's between two consenting adults. 8)
Ken_Goding
Young scout
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:50 am

Postby KnockOut » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:29 am

Suggestion One:

Work more on the boxing game!!!!

My favorite part of CRPG's is Min/Maxing. I don't like battles just for the sake of leveling.

The name of the game is Tower of Destiny. So how about there are say twelve monsters each on a level of the tower that you have to beat to win the game.

There's a town where you can build stats(the more the better).

And a shop where you can buy equipment(the more options the better) and potions.

Each monster should be a challenge that you may to have to save/reload several times to figure out how to beat. More stats and methods of attack means more strategy.

Although there are only twleve monsters in the game, there would be a variety of different character classes to increase replay value.

A warrior would fight totally different from a bard who fights different than a thief who fights different from a cleric who fights different than a psionic.

A warrior attacks the body. The bard relies on his charisma. A thief uses his stealth to get an advantage. A cleric attacks his opponent's spirituality. And a psionic attacks an opponents mind.

So each class is totally different and is like five different games.

In a battle a warrior has to chose between wielding a bow and keeping range. Or wielding a sword and a shield. A two-handed sword or two daggers. He has to decide whether to wear heavy or light armor.

He has to decide which magic items to bring. Does he wear the girdle of oak summoning to create a meat shield or the girdle of lightning that allows him to cast a powerful lightning attack.

What I want in short:

Lots of classes
Lots of items
No exploration/no Everquest killing millions of monsters to level
A lot of Min/Maxing
Lots of abilities and battle strategies
No battles that just waste time and have nothing to do with the storyline
More work on the boxing game!
KnockOut
Young scout
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby Astral » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:13 am

I'll maily write about it in my blog so if you're curious to know how it's progressing, just read it.


How do we access your blog? I see no link on your main webpage.

If the primary combat setting is going to be in a Tower, I think each level or floors should have unique goal(s) that the player must accomplish to move the story forward and to access the next level or floor of the tower.

For example: Floor One
Required: Find key to access next floor of tower.
Required: Locate trapped prisoner.
Optional: Find treasure chest.

I think you should add 50 enemies and then have five variations of them.

For example:
(1) Ghost: Every other attack player misses.
(2) Creepy Ghost: 25% chance to instill fear in player.
(3) High Ghost: Chilling touch freezes player.
(4) Mystical Ghost: May summon two random Ghost of any kind.
(5) Elite Ghost: Invincible to magic based attacks.

I think exploration, to some degree is necessary, for each level to provide something other than combat.

I think objectives based on an interwining story would keep the game exciting and motivate the player to keep continuing, rather than motonous gameplay whereby all we do is fight, pick up items, equip, move onto next level, fight, rinse and repeat.

Turn-based combat would be my preference and varying difficulties.
The Tower should be atleast twenty levels deep if not more.

Think of FastCrawl with more substance!
Astral
Woods ranger
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:23 am

Postby jack1974 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:15 am

KnockOut wrote:The name of the game is Tower of Destiny. So how about there are say twelve monsters each on a level of the tower that you have to beat to win the game.

There's a town where you can build stats(the more the better).

And a shop where you can buy equipment(the more options the better) and potions.

Ahaha did you read my mind?? that's exactly how the game is going to be!!! maybe not 12 levels (not sure, depends how big they are) but the main scheme is exactly that one!

KnockOut wrote:Each monster should be a challenge that you may to have to save/reload several times to figure out how to beat. More stats and methods of attack means more strategy.

Yes, I plan to do that in various ways, like using the four elements, and resistances to them (a monster more resistant to fire than water spells or weapons for example).

KnockOut wrote:Although there are only twleve monsters in the game, there would be a variety of different character classes to increase replay value.

So far I wrote down 12 character classes that will post soon in my blog.

KnockOut wrote:What I want in short:

Lots of classes
Lots of items
No exploration/no Everquest killing millions of monsters to level
A lot of Min/Maxing
Lots of abilities and battle strategies
No battles that just waste time and have nothing to do with the storyline
More work on the boxing game!

Yes I think would reflect what you want, except for the no killing millions of monsters... you'll need to kill several, but of course will be balanced, with several quest and puzzles to solve, beside fighting ;)[/quote]
User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
 
Posts: 8923
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Postby jack1974 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:21 am

Astral wrote:How do we access your blog? I see no link on your main webpage.

Ah sorry, maybe I removed it. I'll add a link from this forums, the full URL is: blog/

Astral wrote:If the primary combat setting is going to be in a Tower, I think each level or floors should have unique goal(s) that the player must accomplish to move the story forward and to access the next level or floor of the tower.

Yes will be like that. I also want to add a sort of "Boss" at end of each level, which I think would be very cool and remind me of the old C64 games.... :lol:

Astral wrote:I think you should add 50 enemies and then have five variations of them.

Yeah I'll definitely do that. With Magic Stones each avatar is unique so is hard to render every time a new 3d character, but just using slight graphic variation is much more affordable for me, and the difference in gameplay will be enormous I think :)

Astral wrote:I think objectives based on an interwining story would keep the game exciting and motivate the player to keep continuing, rather than motonous gameplay whereby all we do is fight, pick up items, equip, move onto next level, fight, rinse and repeat.

Yes, definitely. Plot-based games usually tends to have less replayability but I guess that if I put so many classes as I have in mind (12) there will be lot of differences if you start over choosing a different party.

Astral wrote:Turn-based combat would be my preference and varying difficulties.
The Tower should be atleast twenty levels deep if not more.

Think of FastCrawl with more substance!

Eh yes, I was thinking about this aspect to, I was thinking about 2 choices:
- realtime but not frenetic, with enough time to think and maybe a spacebar key to pause the game to think what to do
- turnbased game so you have movement points for each action

Need to think about that more. I generally like TBS games so...
User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
 
Posts: 8923
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Postby Astral » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:35 pm

I like all the comments you made to my suggestions. So I don't think I need to add anything further unless I can think of another innovation.

I read some of your blog today and I didn't realize how many great ideas you had regarding Magic Stones. I am still in the proccess of reading your entire blog (all the archived months), but here are my comments on what you stated:

I have been thinking about a cool addition to implement in my game Magic Stones. A sort of campaign mode, different from the quest. Basically you could select a deck of cards, picking from all the avatars present in the game (not just the 4 elements) and play battles in a map, in the style of Heroes of Might & Magic.


Fantastic idea. No need to say anymore.

(2) Improve greatly the Wilderness zone. Adding really tough battles only for specific higher druid levels (so the druid level must increase too).

(3) Revamp the druid system. Add some new skills, like “perks” of Fallout. For example everytime you level, you could choose a new skill. The skills could be anything, from higher mana regeneration, or more powerful avatar of a specific element, etc.


More terrific ideas. Your suggestions are even better than the fans. Shame on you jack1974 :) :P

EDIT: Man, you really have thought long and hard about what you envision for Tower of Destiny. You have a great start (judging by your blog) on ToD, and now I'm really excited to see the release date of ToD. Keep the great work, this is some really good stuff. You can already count me in as someone who will buy ToD the instant it comes out.
Astral
Woods ranger
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:23 am

Postby jack1974 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:43 pm

Thanks for the support :) I'm excited too myself about ToD, maybe even too much because right now I must first finish the next Magic Stones update :lol:
But once I finish it, I'm going to work fulltime on ToD.
User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
 
Posts: 8923
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Next

Return to Tower Of Destiny

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests