SOTW 0.79 - First Act Beta preview!

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

SOTW 0.79 - First Act Beta preview!

Post by jack1974 »

Download it here: http://games.winterwolves.com/games/SOTW-0.79-all.zip (as always during beta, zipped folder with executables for all platforms)

What's new in 0.79
- removes the "naked cheat" found by yayswords. Now if you unequip all your armor the enemy defense won't go lower anymore :lol:
- FIXED FOR ALL the bug when choosing the traits that would assign the bonuses to the "other sibling" instead of the right one!!
- fixed a bug that wasn't adding the traits bonus to the stats (like strenght->attack) until the first level up
- small tweaks to skills like Vaelis sustained skill, now the speed penalty is only 15% since 25% was too much IMHO

What's new in 0.78
- major change: moved Barrage to Hunter, eliminated Pickpocket :mrgreen: and added BrambleCoat to Ranger (Defense bonus + damage shield against melee attacks)
- removed the weapon requirements for Ranger: Strikethrough, Wideslash, Ward. Now they can be used with any weapon. The other skills: Sweeping Strike, Crosscut, Invincible still have the weapon requirement though
- Hunter perfect balance now has steps of 15, instead of 5, so should be more worthwhile
- Aligned the druid skills by same element :) so that earth is under earth, etc (in the skills screen)
- fixed a ton of typos
- changed text in ratmen encounter based if you fight them or not
- added a few hints in the character creation about the attributes and healing skills
- added a quick explanation the first time you enter a vendor, and a help button in vendor screen
- fixed the bug that was removing the battlefield condition effect if a character died
- the turn duration is not displayed anymore for the battlefield conditions
- the giant snow spider has 20% more HP now. He must not be too easy ;)

What's new in 0.77
- added various fixes to prevent plot holes/bugs in later scenes, when Vaelis or "other sibling" (depending who you play as main) is not present in the party. Before you could do the sidequests and the missing characters would still show up (the scenes are scripted and there's no way to change this now).
- fixed wrong price displayed when clicking buy, now they're the same
- fixed a rare (but possible) bug at end of 1st act, that would jump you back to the map but without anything to do :lol: thanks to _renke that sent me a savegame (I found the bug using that one).

What's new in 0.76
- optimized a bit the map code, I checked with a FPS counter and on my PC I get +10 FPS now (I did some bad coding on the windows show/hide actions)
- added the item categories buttons over the vendor frame
- fixed the bug that was causing you to discover a new location every time you visit ratmen
- fixed also the endless XP exploit if you fight the ratmen unlimited time
- fixed wrong display name for chapter 2 (was saying chapter 3)
- fixed Vaelis throwing axes so it can hit only targets in the front row, added description for staggered requirements for leg break
- fixed the taunt sound effect for Althea/Shea Ranger :)
- reduced stagger value in Nightmare mode

What's new in 0.75
- now you'll find 2h weapons at the forge! and more healing potions at the healing shop :)
- fixed (or better, Anima fixed since he was so kind to send me the code!) the Druid purify spell, now it will really remove all the debuffs (even future one I'll code in next chapters)
- you get 1 skillpoint every 2 levels until level 6 (so for this whole 1st act) so you have access to more skills early. then will be one every 3 levels like before
- fixed a small problem that would show "days until next event -6" after you save your father early in the game

What's new in 0.74
- major change: swapped the Hawk's Eye Hunter skill with the Invigorating Prayer Ranger skill. This because otherwise Ranger was too much like a Mage, having a restore HP and a restore SP skill! And now you have on reason more to keep the Hunter in the back row (if you want). This change shows only when starting a new game though.
- during character creation you can now pick the first skill for both siblings
- some tweaks to Hunter and Druid skills. Hunter: Critical Hit now does 300% damage, so is more useful also against bosses. Druid: Tree of life heals for 50% so can be used as normal single target healing spell. Speed of Eagle was broken :lol: now works properly and also heals 10% of total HP every turn. Is useful to give a boost to a characters since also increases speed by 50%. Also, Hunter's double attack is faster and uses less SP to differentiate it from the Critical Hit one (might change it again later though).
- bandits after you discover east of ninim can now be bribed. You lose all your money but at least you can avoid the fight
- the actual sell price is displayed in the vendor screen, in the sell button itself.
- tweaked SLIGHTLY the Nightmare global parameters so enemies have less HP/Defense and a bit more Attack, to make the battles shorter
- fixed the problem of restoring HP/SP to full after each battle :mrgreen:
- fixed some wrong pronouns (would say "her" instead of "him").
- fixed a problem where the traits choices effects would be applied only to the first char, and the first trait choice was always the same (now both are random)
- reduced difficulty of the Giant Snow Spider boss battle. After all is the first act, so even at nightmare mode should be a bit easier (before was impossible!!)

What's new in 0.73
- attributes weren't stored after a level up from quest EXP
- if you click on the resistances the help window stays on screen, now is fixed :)

What's new in 0.72
- fixed attributes not resetting during the creation phase (unwanted cheatmode :lol:)
- added the last scene so the game ends properly without an error message :)
- Fixed a pronoun swap during the traits mini-scenes in the creation

What's new in 0.71
- fixed attributes disappearing after levelup screen :mrgreen:
- fixed error messages after completing quests
- fixed random bug when looting items in goblin camp

What is it? It's the full Winter Season, the First Act of the story. There are four acts like the four seasons, BUT THE LENGTH OF THE OTHER ACTS IS MUCH BIGGER.
There's no romance yet, since you can play only Althea, Shea and Vaelis in this one. Towards the end of the second Act you'll have met all the characters and you can begin romance talk, so for now please wait :oops:
You cannot buy anything yet :) I decided to wait until I had the full 2nd act coded before opening preorders. I don't know yet when the second and the final game will be ready since there's some artwork that needs to be finished (tilesets, backgrounds) but I REALLY HOPE within the next 3-4months!

There are also some things missing (later in the story, the "tents in the snow" tileset image is missing for example) and some that might be replaced (main menu font, or the wolf puppy sprite for example). So yeah, is still a work-in-progress. But the rules/gameplay should be almost final!

What feedback I'm looking for? well everything, in particular the difficulty, I really hope that this time nobody will say that in Nightmare mode the game is too easy. I am NOT able to finish the act playing in that mode myself :lol: The time-limited amount between each plot event should also make not possible to grind TOO MUCH, you can, but within certain limits. The maximum level obtainable should be level 6, but let me know what you manage to reach :)

I'll read all feedback but of course will do any changes/updates based on my discretion, checking how much time/resources every change would require. So if I don't implement a change now, doesn't mean that is a bad suggestion or I don't agree with you, but could also mean that at the moment I can't do it. Could do it in a future game (many new features of SOTW are suggestions that were made for Loren for example, like the randomized loot).

That's all, have fun!
yayswords
Elder Druid

Re: SOTW 0.7 - First Story Act Beta!

Post by yayswords »

I HAVE CLICKED IT WHO ELSE HAS WILL ANYONE BE GETTING IT BEFORE ME WHATS THIS SHITTY DOWNLOAD SPEED

:D

Shea is referred to as a girl in the trait selection! "Her father Morran [...]"

girl girl girl!
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Are you sure? I think that the pronouns should be OK in the traits! If you can show me the screenshot or the exact phrase would be cool :)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I will once I've beaten normal mode :P

I just got two error messages when I completed the second quest
Spoiler:
healing daddy
but I clicked ignore on both and it seems to be working fine

it was one or two sequences before receiving the quest xp

p.s. shagala's smile is priceless
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Okay, I've got a pretty big bug here. My characters don't freaking keep the attribute points I give them after a level up :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Wait when you get such errors, save and send it to me! :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Uhm OK yes, the attribute points don't get added :lol:
I recommend people to wait until I fix this, otherwise leveling up is a bit pointless! rofl
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I'm not sure but you miiiight be getting the bonuses even if it doesn't keep the attributes though... but anyway, these are the error messages.

http://imgur.com/a/4bgb8

I also tried to wrap it up by giving you the typo but it was a new trait scenario for Shea when I made a new game again. I think in the faulty sentence his father was worrying about him though.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Immediately after acquiring
Spoiler:
the formula from the bandits
and heading to shagala with it, I got these two bugs

http://imgur.com/a/KPA5Q
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

At this point I'm pretty sure the common denominator for these bugs is handing in quests... this happened after killing
Spoiler:
Mormont
and handing in

http://imgur.com/a/Mz9ni