Planet Stronghold: Warzone dev thread

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
kabal67
Young scout

Re: Planet Stronghold: Warzone dev thread

Post by kabal67 »

I was curious about how you feel about selling Planet Stronghold & Planet Stronghold: Warzone together? It might be an option after release to try to get people to buy the game. Bigger companies tend to do this much later after release to try to get some more money, you might want to consider it. In case you were wondering, I alright bought Planet Stronghold.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well I already offer discounts if people buy 2+ of my games (depends which ones, but most yes). If you mean a bundle/bigger discount I'll think about it but after the sequel is out since several months :)
Skyway
Young scout

Post by Skyway »

Whatever you do. Do not change Philip's personality. Make him more bitter than ever, but never, ever make him happy.
He is born to be angry. Rage is his source of strength and fuels our friendship.

The Emperor Protects.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Don't worry, in the sequel Philipp will have even more reasons to be angry... :wink:
Skyway
Young scout

Post by Skyway »

Jack. A little suggestion, a friend and I have been playing and noticed that we cannot equip those new shiny items because our skills cannot meet the requirement. Can the requirement be made more flexible? Maybe make the item less effective and does lower damage / protection due to not enough armor/weapon skill level.

Also, combat skills in dialog - Not sure if this makes sense, but I feel combat skills should lead to conversation options. Like, mastering Harm would let Nelson ambush the guy. Success means one free Harm turn before initiating combat.

So it'll be like, Nelson meets a Rebel Leader

Rebel Leader: What do you want?
Nelson Choices:
- Negotiate (Charisma)
- Ask Questions
- Attack
- Harm - Uses 30 PP and does damage if successful. Starts combat with Nelson having another turn.

Thanks for reading.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

For the first game I'm not making big changes right now (I plan to review the ending to match better the sequel starting conditions) since would need to retest them (and need to focus on new releases). But for the sequel will surely take into consideration any suggestion like this one. I am also probably going to group some skill/replace them. For example lockpicking might be under science, and then have beside Charisma another skill like Intimidate or something like that to unlock extra dialog options :)
Skyway
Young scout

Post by Skyway »

Of course. Totally. All my feedback is strictly for the future. I'll keep adding more suggestion as I play along.
Since Medical Skills improve First Aid Kits, Explosives should improve Grenade Item Power as well.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks, keep them coming :)
Skyway
Young scout

Post by Skyway »

Jack, sorry if this has been asked before. But a lot of friends I know were wondering why this game isn't on Steam platform yet.
I'm curious too since Steam seems to add a lot of exposure to games, both big and small. Seems like a missed opportunity.

More usage for Charisma:
I just got a string of wrong social responses in the game that surprised me a bit. But at times I felt Joshua is super awkward for a 50 Charisma guy. Any chance for a 'recovery' check in lost Character Relationship Points? It makes putting that one point into Charisma per level up feel more rewarding.

Example:

This particular dialog with Tom being one about his racing past. OK, so Nelson doesn't *KNOW* the truth about Tom's racing past, but he should be able to use Charisma to make up some stuff. I felt the first choice being a little bit harsh ("I think racing is pointless") while the second seems odd (LIE), given that i have no idea what Tom is talking about. Why are we trying to lie without using our lying skills?

So it goes into Skill Check - Success Tom +15 or Fail Tom -5
That felt like it flowed better, I think.

Also: Pistol v Sniper v Heavy Weapons v Energy

I feel the Critical / Acc / RoF / Dmg Range mechanics are fundamentally sound, but each weapon type should have different on-Critical Hit effect.
I was thinking maybe Sniper Rifle should have higher Critical Multiplier Damage etc to compensate for the lower ROF. Or else, I'd be Burst Attacking the heck out of every attack instead of Aimed attack
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Skyway wrote:Jack, sorry if this has been asked before. But a lot of friends I know were wondering why this game isn't on Steam platform yet.
I'm curious too since Steam seems to add a lot of exposure to games, both big and small. Seems like a missed opportunity.
Haha every time I heard this, I laugh and am pissed at same time. Don't worry, not at you of course! The fact is simple: it's Steam who decides which games goes in their portal. I obviously submitted Planet Stronghold since I thought it would have been a good fit (RPG/sci-fi) but they played it and after evaluating it they rejected it :(
I'd like to have it on Steam, but beside submitting it I can't do much else. I'm pissed because I think it would do well and I see some games published on Steam that, honestly, are inferior / less original than mine. Well, maybe with Loren I'll have more luck (but I don't think).
If you really want, you could start a Steam petition in forums. I know other indies got on Steam after showing that a lots of players are interested in playing their games. But I believe you'd need a few hundred of supporters, so that's not easy task :lol:
Skyway wrote: This particular dialog with Tom being one about his racing past. OK, so Nelson doesn't *KNOW* the truth about Tom's racing past, but he should be able to use Charisma to make up some stuff. I felt the first choice being a little bit harsh ("I think racing is pointless") while the second seems odd (LIE), given that i have no idea what Tom is talking about. Why are we trying to lie without using our lying skills?

So it goes into Skill Check - Success Tom +15 or Fail Tom -5
That felt like it flowed better, I think.
Yes, all the romance dialogues don't use any particular skills. Something to do in the sequel for sure!
Skyway wrote: Also: Pistol v Sniper v Heavy Weapons v Energy

I feel the Critical / Acc / RoF / Dmg Range mechanics are fundamentally sound, but each weapon type should have different on-Critical Hit effect.
I was thinking maybe Sniper Rifle should have higher Critical Multiplier Damage etc to compensate for the lower ROF. Or else, I'd be Burst Attacking the heck out of every attack instead of Aimed attack
The sniper rifle have indeed a very high critical chance compared to the other - it's a while since I last checked the game weapons stats but from what I remember each sniper weapon has very high critical chances, though also the Accuracy skills matters a lot.