Suggestions welcome

First person CRPG, based on the old classics like Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Heh unfortunately wasn't able to work much, both on this an supernova, due to real-life matters (I'm moving to another area). I should be able to resume working on it in september but now is really a mess! I think I'll first finish magic stones quests with the fifth and last free quest (not the editor though). So then I'll be able to work full time on those 2 games without any interruptions (I hope!).
gino
Young scout

Post by gino »

I like much more D&D setting than warcraft ones.
Beside that warcraft is a MMORPG, this game is a singleplayer CRPG... :roll:
wolfdaddy2002
Young scout

Post by wolfdaddy2002 »

Dungeons and Dragons as a computer game may have gotten old. But the Tabletop RPG is still going strong. I've played a LOT of computer RPG's including The entire Eye of the Beholder series, (one stupid freaking room with HOW many mindflayers? Bonus points if you know what i'm talking about). So here's my thoughts:

1. One person or a party? There's merit to both styles, and I personally like both. Either can be fun if done right.
2. Please make it point build. Rolling stats CAN be a bother.
3. Either make a god awful long skill list, or make a small one. If you want a suggestion on a good small list check out Pinacle press Savage World System. It's a $10 core rule book, and a very flexiable game.
4. Check out Fate by Wild Tangent games. Very Diablo esq, but kinda cute.
5. Do you want this to be a game that players can put down and come back to, (like Magic stones and Supernova 2) or do you want to make something epic? (Eye of the Beholder trilogy)
6. Replay value. Things that make replay value are: random levels every time you go in (diablo, fate,), Either a good story, or almost none.
Even the gods fear one pure soul
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well I can answer some points already, even if I the game is still in early stages:

1. Party based, I prefer them more since with single player you have a RPG, with a party there's also a more tactical element (managing all the various characters)
2. There will be an initial roll, but just to randomize the stats. The total point of stats will be the same for character with same race/class, then you'll have to distribute points
3. Hm right now I had only fighting related skills. I think I had about 25 skills total (of course not all classes could use them all)
4. Yes, I've played it, quite cool :)
5 and 6 I want to release a trilogy, with maybe a mix of random encounter and fixed quests/plot (have still to decide). And then release a free editor so that player can create their own mods.
However I have yet to decide about this last 2 points. I am also tempted to make a completely different game, and do it like Darklands, if anyone knows what I'm talking about :lol:
Astral
Young scout

Re: Suggestions welcome

Post by Astral »

For some reason, I always thought Tower of Destiny's combat would be turn-based. However, after reading your latest blog entry that does not seem to be the case (hack and slash = real time?).

I'm very lukewarm about real-time combat, but I will reserve judgment until I see it in action.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah no sorry, for hack'n'slash actually I meant that the rpg is heavily combat-oriented 8) so not many extra fancy skills but only skills needed in combat and very simple quests (if I'll put them).
I am thinking to let the user have the choice between a very slow real-time combat or classic turnbased one.
Astral
Young scout

Post by Astral »

phew...for a second I thought I was losing my mind. I'm glad that you will let the player decide between the two. As for me, it will be classic turn-based all the way. :) :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes in general I prefer turn based games too since I have more control on what is happening. However when I played the Baldur's Gate series I realized that even real-time slowpaced with the possibility to pause the game anytime isn't a bad choice either.
Anyway I'll first make some tests. Eye of the beholder series for example was real-time and was pretty cool :)
iulius
Young scout

Post by iulius »

been a while since you talked about this project... and now I see it displaying on your blog!
So... it has started?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

If you mean "the development", yes has started! In the end I got a friend of mine, very good programmer, to do the engine for me. That was the only possible solution, since I know I'm not able to do a pseudo-3d engine. Will be actual 3d, but you'll move by "cellblocks" and turn by 90°.
I'll soon post a video of it. The combat will be like baldur's gate - realtime, but you can pause anytime and plan the next moves.
I can't wait to work on the game 8)