Yuri Dating-Zombie Apocalypse Dating Sim?

Games with gameplay beside the story: raising your skills, map systems, life simulations, etc
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Yuri Dating-Zombie Apocalypse Dating Sim?

Post by Miakoda »

From Winter Wolves twitter:
brainstorming ideas with writers about zombie post-apocalypse survival game and lesbians in bikini dating sim. I love my job XD
*grins* I know, this isn't an official announcement, and would obviously a long time in the works, but if you did this, it would probably be the first zombie apocalypse game I would buy ^_^
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Yuri Dating-Zombie Apocalypse Dating Sim?

Post by jack1974 »

I have to say that the tweet was a bit confusing, since are TWO separate games: one post-apocalypse and another modern slice of life yuri :)
Brainstormed with a writer about the post-apocalypse thing but I'll probably postpone that one, since in the next months/years I have to finish SOTW, PS2, Roger Steel, Loren sequels, and I think that would be a waste to not have at least some simple RPG/combat mechanics with that setting.
I'll do a game like that for sure since I like the setting too, but first want to wait and see how things evolve with the current projects. One thing is planning things in advance, but this is maybe a bit too much right now :mrgreen:

For the other slice of life yuri dating sim instead there are no problems... but I am not saying anything official until I'm more advanced into the project, a bit like I did with C14 dating :wink:
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Is there still anything in the Zombie-Genre which is interesting, or can be made so? (Do not compare it to fantasy: in fantasy you have more freedom for adding/modifying interesting stuff as needed. Whereas Zombies are just ... braindead, shambling, smelling and relentlessly pursuing...) Too bad the bikini-clad beauties are a different game, if added to the Zombies I would buy just because of them.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

I can't find the thread right now, but I actually had some thoughts on it (this was prompted after Jack1974 had some fun with Nicole's picture, replacing it with a zombie), but I do think a Zombie game with dating sim elements could be done.

My initial thought was the protagonist herself is slowly finding herself becoming a zombie. The end point would be trying to find a cure (if any) for their condition. This could be varied a little if there was some variation as to the 'zombie virus' source: Whether it is a voodoo curse, exposure to atomic radiation, or mutated pinkeye (sorry, fan of South Park). There would be a general hunger trait (instead of energy), as well as a 'rotting trait'. You can try to do various things to keep the rotting trait low (needle and thread for sewing body parts, heavy on the perfume, alcohol to cover the smell of the gave on your breath)...as well as expending of your hunger trait.

Hunger would be the desire to keep your feeding urges in check. The higher you are the lower the rotting trait...and the more human you appear. However, the more you eat, the more crimes you commit. If you eat fresh, non-GMO Humans, you get the most bang for your buck, but you might have authorities gunning for you. Another option would be digging up graves...you wouldn't get fed as well, it is still a crime (though not as bad as murder).

NPCs/love interests could a cop looking for the 'Cannibal Brain-Eater', a Voodoo priestess who or sexy CDC person (as two people you could consult to get cured)...maybe a step-sister one could romance (okay, I sometimes like naughty things ;) ). If your hunger goes to long, it can either end game, or eat a love interest, etc. If you take too long, then the zombieism overcomes you, and you join as one of the shambling undead.
Too bad the bikini-clad beauties are a different game, if added to the Zombies I would buy just because of them.
*grins* I would view it as almost a spoof sort of like Troma films :D
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The idea wasn't just zombies, but mutants. So, some mutants are like zombies, other are more dangerous. But the real threat would have been other men. A ruthless world :mrgreen:
For now I kept the idea safe for future use. At end of this year, when I've finished SOTW (hopefully, but would really be bad if wasn't done by Christmas! :shock:) will see how things are with all the other various bigger projects and then decide. But I think next month Roger Steel will start to become more a reality (with some art preview as well by a new artist).
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Miakoda wrote:NPCs/love interests could a cop looking for the 'Cannibal Brain-Eater', a Voodoo priestess who or sexy CDC person (as two people you could consult to get cured)...maybe a step-sister one could romance (okay, I sometimes like naughty things ;) ). If your hunger goes to long, it can either end game, or eat a love interest, etc. If you take too long, then the zombieism overcomes you, and you join as one of the shambling undead.
This has my interest.
jack1974 wrote:The idea wasn't just zombies, but mutants. So, some mutants are like zombies, other are more dangerous. But the real threat would have been other men. A ruthless world :mrgreen:
This does not. (Done to death, pun intended.)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes the zombie-dating sim is surely more original. It could have its problems still but is interesting.
The other was done to death as you say... but even generic fantasy setting like Loren was done to death and yet that game is my most successful game ever :lol: so depends how it's done.
I can always do both ideas though :)
rooke30
Young scout

Post by rooke30 »

jack1974 wrote:Yes the zombie-dating sim is surely more original. It could have its problems still but is interesting.
The other was done to death as you say... but even generic fantasy setting like Loren was done to death and yet that game is my most successful game ever :lol: so depends how it's done.
I can always do both ideas though :)
There's a reason certain things are done to death though, and that's because it has the potential for a compelling story. . Post-apocalyptic stuff, the constant struggle to survive when everything has been destroyed, the constant tense atmosphere, this danger that lurks but isn't really seen, it has the possibility to exhibit life that is raw and not sanitised. The idea has been done a lot, but it's never about the idea but how you execute it.

Meanwhile, with a zombie apocalypse dating sim I think you'd have to chuck away most of the interesting stuff to create it. Dating sims are usually lighter by nature, which I think wastes the post-apocalypse setting. I don't know how you'd make it work to be honest. I'm definitely interested in post-apocalyptic zombies though.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes it wouldn't be easy. I guess could be something gothic/grotesque like Undead Lily. But indeed another reason why I want to wait to do a zombie dating sim, is because there's also that game which has a some what similar theme/setting (both main characters are undead, etc).
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote:but even generic fantasy setting like Loren was done to death and yet that game is my most successful game ever :lol: so depends how it's done.
...and I might not have picked it up have picked it up, if I hadn't already played all the others. :lol:

I guess what I'm really saying is that "post-apocalyptic setting, dangerous zombies and mutants, but man is really the greatest enemy" just isn't something that interests me unless it has a very unique twist. While generic fantasy has a lot of story leeway outside of its setting (see how Loren is actually more of a romance game), post-apo blah blah tells you everything from tone to theme.
rooke30 wrote:Meanwhile, with a zombie apocalypse dating sim I think you'd have to chuck away most of the interesting stuff to create it. Dating sims are usually lighter by nature, which I think wastes the post-apocalypse setting. I don't know how you'd make it work to be honest. I'm definitely interested in post-apocalyptic zombies though.
I don't know either, but the premise is intriguing, and not something that's worn out its welcome. There's been a few zombie love movies, most recently I recall one of the short films in the South Korean movie "Doomsday Book." Well, most most recently I guess you could argue it made an appearance in the Norwegian "Dead Snow 2", but that was for laughs.

Addendum:
In any case, I'm talking about my own preferences. Obviously there's a big market for post-apocalyptic stuff, after all we see it all the time. I'd just really like, personally, to see something that feels fresh, to me. Something that actually takes chances. Something that springs from an idea. Maybe this thing does, after all I don't know what the basis for this game would be. I could still be sold on it. And if not, that's just me.