which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Other older games including sports simulation, wargames, strategy

You may select up to 2 options

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

As you know I want to try doing some "other games". They could be "pure gameplay", so not have any VN or dating sim aspect.
BUT
If I had to add VN/romance to some other genre, which one you would like to see more, or think could work better?

Note that I've excluded RPG on purpose, since I already know that people want that kind of games :) but probably would be very hard to do one in a smaller scale, so I'm not including it. Unless if it was a really simple RPG, but I doubt it.

My goal would be to make some simpler games, to sell at $9.99 maybe, having a story plus maybe a FEW romances (not 8+ characters! not possible) but also with some more gameplay. Some random examples, using existing games as reference:
- adventure: well in this case would basically be like other adventure games in which you must use items, solve puzzles, etc, but also have romance/sexy stuff :wink:
- simulation: this could be like my games Flower Shop, but with more deep gameplay. Like StarDew Valley (but on smaller scale of course, that game is huge!)
- strategy: think PSCD with manga art :lol: but also, some wargame, or stuff like that. Not RPG obviously.
- sports: mixing a story with something sports related maybe.
- roguelike: this would be the hardest to do probably, since in those games is normal that people die. So I am not sure it's a good fit for VN/romance. Story + gameplay instead could work. An example is a game done by a friend, March Of The Living (FTL+zombie theme).

For those games I might use also pixel art for the gameplay part, and have the usual CG scenes for romance. Or even normal characters while talking, but smaller sprites or pixel art during the gameplay (depending on the game type of course).
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Post by Thee Forsaken One »

Seeing as I love the Layton games and Phoenix Wright I'm voting Adventure all the way. :D
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah true, those are good games! :)
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote: - roguelike: this would be the hardest to do probably, since in those games is normal that people die. So I am not sure it's a good fit for VN/romance. Story + gameplay instead could work. An example is a game done by a friend, March Of The Living (FTL+zombie theme).
In a case like this, perhaps it might be something of a reincarnation mechanic, depending on how it is implemented. Heck, someone having to relive moments in time (ala Life is Strange) could also achieve a similar idea.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

True, that would work. Or some sort of divinity, etc. Something not requiring "permadeath" in summary :lol: since then it would be hard to romance a dead character!
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I vote strategy and adventure, and I anti-vote sports all the way to Hell.
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

One thing I'm confused about: what's the difference between adventure and RPG?

All the RPGs I've ever played have always seemed to be adventure.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Basically the combat, skills etc. Adventure is more like what my friend Wadjet Eye is doing, or the classic SCUMM games (Day of the tentacle, Zack McKraken, Monkey Island, etc).
The game that is more closer to an adventure I made is Bionic Heart, when there are those "interactive scenes" and you must click to move and decide what to do.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote:I vote strategy and adventure, and I anti-vote sports all the way to Hell.
But... a gladiator game is sports!! :P
Though yeah I agree, the sports doesn't fit much with the story/dating sim thing.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

While I love strategy games they are very similar to a turn base RPGs, unless they ware building strategy like Civilization, but in both cases what you said about RPGs that it would be very hard to do one in a smaller scale I think holds true for Strategy games as well.

I am definitely against sport all the way, I will never understand what people see in watching and/or playing video games about sport.

Roguelike could be fun but I don't see it being very suitable for a mix with romance VN, not saying it can't be done but would be pretty hard, could be very good if it does sussed but would probably be a hit or miss.

Adventure and Simulation would both be a good choice, I voted Adventure because I prefer it over Simulation and because Simulation wouldn't be that different from your usual Dating sims and I think for a short story game it would be better to do something different.