which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Other older games including sports simulation, wargames, strategy

which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

You may select up to 2 options

View results

fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Post by fabulaparva »

jack1974 wrote:True, that would work. Or some sort of divinity, etc. Something not requiring "permadeath" in summary :lol: since then it would be hard to romance a dead character!
In Scheherazade one of the love interests is a mummy. In Niflheim, everybody including the heroine, is dead. It can be done, but do you want to is a different issue. :P
OhHaiMe
Young scout

Post by OhHaiMe »

I picked Sports since you list Fighting as part of that. Because I count the BlazBlue games as some of my favorite VNs and because the moment I first saw Love Bites character art I immediately thought "I wish this was animated in fighting game." Of course a Legit Fighting game would be to much work to do well but just think of thoses characters fully animated :man_in_love:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

DarkWolf wrote:While I love strategy games they are very similar to a turn base RPGs, unless they ware building strategy like Civilization, but in both cases what you said about RPGs that it would be very hard to do one in a smaller scale I think holds true for Strategy games as well.
I think should be possible to do it on a smaller scale. Think an hex-grid wargame with units like the old Fantasy General (heh, I'm old :lol:) + VN/dating sim part. OK, it's probably not so small, but like with PSCD once the card framework it's done, doing subsequent games should be easier.
DarkWolf wrote: Adventure and Simulation would both be a good choice, I voted Adventure because I prefer it over Simulation and because Simulation wouldn't be that different from your usual Dating sims and I think for a short story game it would be better to do something different.
I think would be different since you should do something else, like running a shop. Or imagine a game like the TV Station Manager I have done (it's an old title) + dating sim mechanics :)
fabulaparva wrote:It can be done, but do you want to is a different issue. :P
Haha I guess could be interesting though!
OhHaiMe wrote:Of course a Legit Fighting game would be to much work to do well but just think of thoses characters fully animated
Ehhhh!!! Fully animated of such quality it's probably out of my reach :mrgreen:
rooke30
Young scout

Post by rooke30 »

BobTheMob wrote:One thing I'm confused about: what's the difference between adventure and RPG?

All the RPGs I've ever played have always seemed to be adventure.
Adventure games are those featuring a narrative, puzzles, and exploration. Note the puzzles don't have to be puzzles in the conventional sense of the world, they could be dialogue puzzles or logic puzzles.

RPGs are tricky. Computer RPGs originated from people attempting to emulate the combat system from tabletop wargames in a virtual environment, this is because it was the only part of an RPG they could easily emulate. Because of this, RPGs are generally known as 'combat sims' where there is a combat system and your character levels up and evolves. Games which have levelling up features that don't include combat (like Tiger Woods) tend to now be known as sims (they aren't sport RPGs, they're sport sims.)

But the core aspect of RPGs is a user defined narrative, that is a story which shifts and changes due to the choices of the player. Obviously this is extremely difficult to emulate on computers, but there have been some attempts recently.
IotaOne
Young scout

Post by IotaOne »

I voted for strategy and simulation. There is an abundance of roguelikes nowadays and i would like to see more strategy games or a simulation with nice drawings.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people f*cking hate poetry."
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

BobTheMob wrote:One thing I'm confused about: what's the difference between adventure and RPG?

All the RPGs I've ever played have always seemed to be adventure.
From the way you are asking this question for some reason I am getting a feeling you are mixing an adventure genre from anime/movies and other story telling media with adventure genre of games, while they are both call the same they are a different thing as in first it is refereed to type of story where protagonist is going on adventure while later is refereed to gameplay where you go around slowing puzzles. Now when it comes to VNs and story based games it can be a bit confusing because they have both story telling and gameplay and therefore when you say it is an adventure you don't know if it is meant on it's story telling part or gameplay part. In this case Jack is referring to gameplay adventure genre true.

RPG genre can nowadays be a bit hard to define but I would say this is a very good definition:
rooke30 wrote: But the core aspect of RPGs is a user defined narrative, that is a story which shifts and changes due to the choices of the player.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

IotaOne wrote:I voted for strategy and simulation. There is an abundance of roguelikes nowadays and i would like to see more strategy games or a simulation with nice drawings.
That's interesting to me, since I made a few sim games before (well, it was long time ago though!). I wouldn't mind trying again at this, mixing it with VN.
To be honest I can see Amber's Magic Shop to be something like that, if I spend a bit of time and beside the crafting I code also a ingredients gathering and shop mode. I could try it already in that game indeed...
Katicflis
Young scout

Post by Katicflis »

God I'd love to see another game like Recettear ... setting up shop, haggling with customers, interacting with adventurers, going through small random dungeons to collect items(with said adventurers).

Also. Jack, buying games off your site means that I can get the steam versions for free when they come out, right? Cause I still gotta buy Heirs and QoT. When should they be out for steam?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Katicflis wrote:God I'd love to see another game like Recettear ... setting up shop, haggling with customers, interacting with adventurers, going through small random dungeons to collect items(with said adventurers).
Yes I had in mind that game too. Not sure yet about the RPG part though, since might be a bit too much. First I'll try to make a good crafting/shop management game, then if there's time I can also try to add some optional RPG battles.
Katicflis wrote: Also. Jack, buying games off your site means that I can get the steam versions for free when they come out, right? Cause I still gotta buy Heirs and QoT. When should they be out for steam?
Yes exactly, it's safe to say that ALL my future games will be on Steam. For H&G I am waiting for the Summer Sale to end, probably at mid-end of July will be released there. For QoT, don't know yet since is still in beta, maybe this September/October, depending how it goes.
PaperDragon
Young scout

Post by PaperDragon »

jack1974 wrote:True, that would work. Or some sort of divinity, etc. Something not requiring "permadeath" in summary :lol: since then it would be hard to romance a dead character!
Romance a zombie/vampire/ghost? (Said half flippantly and half seriously.)

I do love adventure games. They're always so much fun, and I almost voted for it too, but the one I really, really want to see is a simulation type game with more story. Something like the farming sim in Flower Shop 1 and the flower growing in Flower Shop 2 would be GREAT if it'd have a little more variations and a slight plot to go with it. Or something like a town building sim (like that one CIV expansion that did that...) with actual conversations with people/plot. I'd even love running a resort or inn or hotel. And adding in a bit of a story - and, maybe, the possibility to romance a couple of characters - I would be throwing my money at the screen.