The world of Aravorn

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: The world of Aravorn

Post by jack1974 »

OK well I'll leave the original design then, since after all it's "a fantasy map" :) so doesn't need to be 100% accurate. It's not like there are giant structure with the shape of a skull or tree as big as a house in the real world anyway :lol:
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:OK well I'll leave the original design then, since after all it's "a fantasy map" :) so doesn't need to be 100% accurate. It's not like there are giant structure with the shape of a skull or tree as big as a house in the real world anyway :lol:
Actually there are trees far bigger then a house in real world, the biggest tree in world giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) in California's Sequoia National Park is 52,500 cubic feet (1,487 cubic meters) in volume and is 274.9 feet (83.8 meters) tall witch is more then 10 times of average house size, And the tallest tree in a world is 379.7-foot-tall (115.7 m).

http://www.livescience.com/29144-worlds ... -tree.html

And it is definitely possible to carve a giant stone in a shape of a skull and even more possible to build a huge structure in a shape of a skull and true not very likely it is still not impossible for a stone to naturally resemble a skull. For example there was one fallen tree witch resembled a lot to a snake-type dragon on a riverside close to where I live.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, anyway the point is that I don't need to do too much "realism" :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:Yes, anyway the point is that I don't need to do too much "realism" :)
I would say that that depends on how you define realism, one definition of realism is things that exist and are happening in real world other is things that are logical therefore could exist. For example orcs and elves don't exist in real world but they could have existed if genes had just taken a different turn at some point of evolution therefore if you use second definition existence of orcs and elves is realistic but if you use first definition it is not. Depending on how you look at magic even magic is realistic if you use second definition, like fore example, human shooting lighting from his arms, impossible, but w8 we do have electric eels in real life therefore like with elves and orcs if genes have took different turn humans could have shoot lighting from their arms. The lack of realism in fantasy story if you define it with first definition is definitely not a problem, nobody expects it in a first place, but if you define it with second definition then I would say every story needs to have it in order to be good. So I think that if you put something in a story that isn't possible in a real life and is not something people can assume on their own because it is something that has been done many times before or is just easy to assume I think you need to explain how it works and by doing that make it logical and realistic. Off course this specific thing we are talking now isn't a big problem as we have established that it might not even be something that doesn't exist in real world so I am speaking more in general.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

They have to be mangrove trees then (which are fairly small), or so my extraordinary Google skills tell me. :) You could of course have a fantasy species of tree that thrives under saline conditions.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The salt-trees! :lol:
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Post by SimonStardust »

That must be where salted nuts come from. :D
xDDD
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Artist finished Issanis. The result is AMAZING! :o :o :o
there are a few things I need to adjust (for example, in the original map the forest of howlgrove was supposed to be nearby Icesilia, etc). Anyway the good thing is that I have never done any game on this region, so I can still tweak it as I need :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Looks amazing! Can't w8 to see how Zoltar turns up.
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

jack1974 wrote: Image
I noticed the river and the pools of lava in Everburn seem to form the eyes and the path upward the nose of an ominous, evil-looking face.

Did the artist say if that was intentional? B/c that's a really cool effect! :twisted: