The world of Aravorn

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
DarkWolf
Druid

Re: The world of Aravorn

Post by DarkWolf »

Franka wrote:
DarkWolf wrote:Also regarding a map I find it a bit strange that Swamp is fused with Ocean, I don't think that is geographically possible.
Must be a marsh then?
But wasn't it said in Loren that it is a swamp?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Why a swamp can't be near the sea ? There are swamps near river when they go in the sea like the Amazon river?
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:Why a swamp can't be near the sea ? There are swamps near river when they go in the sea like the Amazon river?
You can have swamp close to a sea but on the map it is drawn as if swamp and sea are fused (As in there is no ground between them) and I just don't think that that would be possible as ground right next to sea is rocky and not suitable for swamps.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote:Why a swamp can't be near the sea ? There are swamps near river when they go in the sea like the Amazon river?
DarkWolf wrote:You can have swamp close to a sea but on the map it is drawn as if swamp and sea are fused (As in there is no ground between them) and I just don't think that that would be possible as ground right next to sea is rocky and not suitable for swamps.
A swamp needs a large fresh water source to exist. If the source of water is the ocean, the salt water would kill the trees, and the tide would make for a very unpredictable landscape.

You'd need for there to be a river or a large lake, and for the coast line to be beyond the area to call it a swamp. On the map it looks like it would be a salt water marsh, thus no trees.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha I see. Well, I think we need to consider it as a sort of fantasy thing then :lol:
Maybe in the new map I can redo it so seems more a swamp now that I think about it! Since I'm redoing it...
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

You could make it a large river delta or style it off a marsh like the Everglades. I don't think that would be a significant change?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well the problem is that I have referred in Loren and other games as "swamps". So I couldn't change it to marsh now. I told artist to just draw the coast "closed", and maybe add a lake in the interior so that a real swamp is more plausible :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Both swamps and marshes can be have either fresh or salt water. Swamps tend to have trees and other woody plants. In cases where swamp is flooded with salt water, the plants that live there are tolerant to the higher salt content that will kill other plants.
Last edited by Jaeger on Fri May 13, 2016 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Waah! So you mean the original drawing was ok!? :cry:
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:Waah! So you mean the original drawing was ok!? :cry:
I know I was the one who broth this up but honestly after a loot of googling I am not sure anymore :oops: , I was pretty sure that ground around a sea is not suitable for swamps but I didn't know why exactly at first I thought it is because of salt water but Wiki says that swamps actually can be from both salt water and normal water as well a mix of the two but all articles only mention lakes and rivers as source of swamp and I couldn't find any mention of swamp witch source of water is sea only marshes so I thought maybe the reason for why ground around sea is not suitable for swamps is rocky ground but I can't find any article that confirms or dismisses it. I know crocodiles and other animals witch live in swamps and on witch people think when someone mentions swamps can't live in salty water but at this point I am not sure but at this point I am rather confused myself and not sure if maybe other kind of swamps exist too, but even if they do they would be very different from swamps that people in general think of when you say swamp.

EDIT: I found an article from national geography that confirms that there are indeed two tipes of swamps, Freshwater Swamps and Saltwater Swamps but I still find it wired that I can't find even one actual example of Saltwater Swamp or even many information on them in fact when I google Saltwater Swamps I get articles such as "U.S. Army Zombie Combat Skills " already on page two that talks about Saltwater Swamp's zombies witch would made me think that Saltwater Swamps are fiction if first article wasn't from national geography, true even more mindblowing fact I found is that some crocodiles actually can live in salty water :shock: .

AW! someone please call some geography professional here to explain things.