Heileen 1 Review

A visual novel set in the 17th century: https://www.winterwolves.com/heileen3.htm
lloyd1191
Young scout

Heileen 1 Review

Post by lloyd1191 »

I made this topic to let players express their opinion and give it a score to the game. Please do not insult and respect people's opinions. This is just my opinion, no need to get offended or anything like that.

Heileen 1 is a visual novel type of game for me. First, the drawing was really good with colorful, interesting characters, and the background was well drawn too. Colorful and good to see, but I didn't see that many expressions on the characters. There were like 3 faces and very few poses, which makes it very repetitive. I would have like to see more poses, like when doubt or susrpise.

I like pirate stories, which was in this game, so it called my attention. There were funny moments, which made it lively. It had suspense and mystery in it, which made me wonder what would happen next. It was a good story, but it felt kind of short. It wasn't as long as I expected, I ended it like in a few hours. Fortunately, there were choices that you could make and it would affect the story and its ending, giving it more replayability.

Another addition, which I don't see in many visual novel type of games, is quests. Which at the end, depending on the score you get, gives you a title. It makes you wonder what and how many titles they are? It also has kind of like dating elements in it, with relationships meters that lets you know how you're doing with the characters. The problem is that, you can't check how you're doing anytime you want. It appears only when it increase or decrease.

The game was interesting and I will play the whole series, but I hope they add more into the game to make it more fun. My final score is 7/10.
Sylrissa
Druid

Re: Heileen 1 Review

Post by Sylrissa »

From what I've seen, Heileen 3 blows the other 2 completely out of the water. (pun intended)

Heileen is a far older game, and certainly has it's issues, so I agree with you on the first Heileen, as I am currently playing through the first 2 while I wait for sea maidens to come out.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Heileen 1 Review

Post by jack1974 »

Yes the first game was my first visual novel ever, made in 2008, when I didn't even know how to use Ren'Py well, and also with a very old version of Ren'Py that was making simple stuff as buttons/animations a pain to make :) It was also short, that's why I recently reduced the price to match better the length of the newer games.