Heileen 3 1.1 "Sea Maidens" beta testing

A visual novel set in the 17th century: https://www.winterwolves.com/heileen3.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Heileen 3 1.1 "Sea Maidens" beta testing

Post by jack1974 »

One of those two was fixed in latest version but I missed one, thanks :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I uploaded 1.1d which should have all the typos fixed, plus I have "extended" the level range in which you see the profession scenes. So you see the 1st scene not just at level 1, but until level 4, then from 4 to 9 you see the second and after the 10th level you see the latest. Hopefully this way people won't miss them :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Sounds good to me. I think that means I'm done beta testing and will wait with playing again till the official release. (Somebody else go test if the profession scenes are broken.)

Oh, and if there's now text for Marie supporting cooking and farming, get it proofread, please. :wink:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No there isn't any new text... luckily! :)
Mad_Scientist
Young scout

Post by Mad_Scientist »

Hi everyone. My first post here. I decided to check out this game because I kn0w KittyKatStar from a different online group, and I found out she worked on this. So I decided to see what this was like, and as long as I'm beta testing, I might as well prove useful in some way.

So far, I don't have much to report, other than a minor mistake in the text. There's an event that triggered for me not too long after I found all my friends, in which Juliet and Morgan discuss the fact that a galleon, possibly a slave ship, is pursuing them. During this conversation, Juliet says "You're going soft. You promised three years, but there's nothing we can do if we are the ones being pursued."

I'm guessing this is a reference to the fact that Morgan agreed to refrain from active piracy for a period of time while looking for Otto's diamond. But, on normal difficulty (which I'm playing on), the period of time he agreed on was "about two years", not three years. I'm guessing it changes based on difficulty? And I'd suspect that on easy it's about three years. Anyways, I don't know if the game engine allows for different text in scenes based on the difficulty, but if it does, this should be fixed to include the appropriate time for all difficulties. If it doesn't, it should be changed to something vague enough to apply to all difficulties.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah yes, I use a variable that prints one-two-three word based on the difficulty setting, will add it to that scene now :)
Mad_Scientist
Young scout

Post by Mad_Scientist »

Cool. Discovered another reference to 3 years. It's in the scene where Morgan and Heileen talk about Morgan's past, and Heileen has the option to comment about a pirate's life being so carefree. After Morgan talks about the time he worked with Myngs, he mentions the money is what's keeping the crew healthy while they're on this "3-year hiatus."

EDIT: One more. A midday event where Ebele talks to Heileen and mentions that the pirate's life isn't for her, there is a comment about there being "three years to find the diamond." Also, on another note, though the event is "midday", it involves a sunrise, which seems odd. I'm guessing the event should actually be morning.

SECOND EDIT: In another midday event, Marie and Heileen are watching the sunset, and Sebastian invites them to dice with him. Should this even be evening?

THIRD EDIT: The event where Morgan, Ebele, and Heileen climb to the top of a mountain is shown as "Night", yet the lighting looks more like midday, evening at most. Actually, they even mention at the top of the mountain that it is mid-day.

FOURTH EDIT: During the scene where Marco has a new dish, and Heileen has the choice of saying it is good or pretending to be unsure so she can eat more, there is a line that goes "Marco's new dish was a big success, and everyone plenty." I assume that's supposed to be "and everyone ate plenty."
Mad_Scientist
Young scout

Post by Mad_Scientist »

So, making a new post rather then editing because the issue I just discovered is much bigger than some small typos, and I want to highlight it.

As far as I can tell, it is literally impossible to get a profession ending on hard difficulty. In order to get an advanced skill to 10, you have to get the necessary basic skills up to 12 and 10 first. I found that on hard, 300 days wasn't even enough time to get the basic skills up to that level. I only made it to 12 and 6 before time was up. That was doing nothing but leveling up basic skills and resting, ignoring any invitations that would have increased my tiredness. I didn't even get a chance to start leveling up my advanced skill before time was up.

I know there are ways to increase the speed you go up in advanced skills: inviting the right person, or having high basic skills associated with it. But unless I am completely missing something, there is no way to increase the rate you go up in basic skills. Well, aside from the fact that they naturally go up a bit quicker as you level up, but that's just an automatic thing, not anything that can be manipulated. So there was nothing different I could have done to make things go faster.

Even allowing for the possibility that I was very unlucky, the fact that I was so far from being able to succeed makes it seem fairly clear that even with good luck, it's impossible to get a profession ending on hard.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for the other typos. About the difficulty, probably you're the only person who played the game on Hard :lol: since nobody else posted about this.
If you rest and get 100% energy, you get an automatic breakthrough on the next activity. I am not sure if that would be enough, but in practice means that instead of waiting until the energy is really low, as soon as is below 30% you do the rest hoping to get the "fully rested" bonus.
I would like to know if others tried to play in Hard mode before making changes on the amount of skill points, since in Hard mode you also get less skill points than in the other ones. Maybe I should just swap that with the Easy mode, since you have a lot more time...
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I only tried Hard for a short time, and didn't realize that it only gave you 300 days. But it takes about 200 days to complete your first profession on Easy (if you're focused), and you get considerably more skill points, so I can see how that would be a problem. Also, resting rarely gets you back to 100% energy, even if you do it as soon as you possibly can (25-30%). So, the only way to complete a profession on Hard would probably be to save scum, so you get "lucky" breakthroughs every time you train. :lol: