Surprised by this gem

A sci-fi RPG game https://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
targetbsp
Young scout

Re: Surprised by this gem

Post by targetbsp »

Count me in as surprised to discover this game. I had no idea it existed until it popped up in my Desura rss feed.
My surprise in particular comes not from the fact that I'd read people speculating negatively about the game style - I hadn't read anything about it. But more from the fact that I don't even like final fantasy type combat. But something about it made me want to at least give the demo a try.
And sure enough, the same as the OP, I'm loving balancing the attack type, number of attacks, accuracy, agro, resistances etc.

I played the demo through to completion and was so impressed it even inspired me to download the demo's of several other games using this combat style in case I'd misjudged them. I hadn't! There really is something remarkably addictive about the combat in this game compared to the repetitiveness of similar games.

Really, the only negative thing about it is the price. Which whilst it's certainly reasonable is quite a premium over what I've been used to seeing Indie games priced at over the past year or two! But as it's the best in sub-genre in my eyes, I guess there's a certain amount of you get what you pay for here. I haven't quite convinced myself to spend that much on it just yet but I probably will when I've finished other games in my to play list. If it were a bit cheaper I'd have bought it already. In any case I've spammed it on a gaming forum I frequent suggesting people try the demo. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for the post and... the spamming of other sites :lol:
A thing about the price is that unfortunately, until I get on some big portal (and Desura sadly isn't) I can't lower it, otherwise would be at loss. See what Spiderweb did - as soon as he got on Steam he decreased all his game prices from $29+ to $19.99. I would be more than happy if my games were cheaper so that more people could enjoy them, and at same time I could keep making them without having to live under a bridge (OK I'm exaggerating of course, but you get the idea).
So thanks for the word of mouth, maybe once 1000 people send emails to Steam telling them to distribute my games, prices will be lower :)
targetbsp
Young scout

Post by targetbsp »

Yeah I googled the games name and steam earlier and saw you'd tried to get it on there but was unable to. I did think at the time it's a shame as the greater exposure would get a lot more sales and allow lower prices. I do have Spiderwebs Avadon on Steam and read a blog from him about pricing so I'm with you there!

God knows what criteria they judge games by because there's a lot on there that are outright terrible. I've also seen articles on them misjudging and missing decent games too.
APNunes
Young scout

Post by APNunes »

targetbsp wrote:I haven't quite convinced myself to spend that much on it just yet but I probably will when I've finished other games in my to play list. If it were a bit cheaper I'd have bought it already.
Unless it has ended, you can pay 15 dolars for the game + guide (or 9 dolars without it) using this coupon: SavyGamer5.
Link:
http://savygamer.co.uk/2012/05/02/savyg ... sary-sale/
It's worth it, in my opinion. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

targetbsp wrote: God knows what criteria they judge games by because there's a lot on there that are outright terrible. I've also seen articles on them misjudging and missing decent games too.
Hehe people call it "Steam lottery" for a reason I guess :lol: :lol:
Today Planet Stronghold the 9th most popular game on Desura, so maybe people are starting to take note of it. If only the journalists would take note too... :o
targetbsp
Young scout

Post by targetbsp »

APNunes wrote:
targetbsp wrote:I haven't quite convinced myself to spend that much on it just yet but I probably will when I've finished other games in my to play list. If it were a bit cheaper I'd have bought it already.
Unless it has ended, you can pay 15 dolars for the game + guide (or 9 dolars without it) using this coupon: SavyGamer5.
Link:
http://savygamer.co.uk/2012/05/02/savyg ... sary-sale/
It's worth it, in my opinion. :)
Thanks, I kind of favour getting my games retail if possible or steam/desura if not. It is tempting and I am torn by the obvious price difference but I know from past experience that what will happen is I'll just end up buying it again in some future sale on desura (if one happens) for convenience. The combined price of buying it twice will likely mean I may as well just get it now. :D Still thinking that one over. I'm sure I'll end up with it sooner or later, I was glued to the demo!
Timing is slightly against it, I already have 3 games I've pre-ordered or plan to buy over the next 8 days! Though I do need something to play today... :p
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well I am quite new to Desura but I think I can generate keys like other developers do for Steam, so anyone who bought it from me can also get a free key to play it on Desura (I'm going to check more carefully but I really think should be possible).
So what are you waiting for??? :lol:
targetbsp
Young scout

Post by targetbsp »

OK, you got me! Bought it, using the code. :D Thanks for letting me know about it. :)

What should I do about the possible Desura code? Will you post back here after you've looked into it more or should I email a request to you or something? I appreciate you said 'think' so it might not work out but hopefully it does. Sorry if I'm a pain, I try to counter it by promoting the game elsewhere! I think I'm borderline OCD with how I like things organised in my life is all lol.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I just tried it, you should get an email with a code. Let me know if worked :)
targetbsp
Young scout

Post by targetbsp »

You're a star! Thank you very much. I got the email and I just had to click a link from the email which added it to my desura account then another one to set it downloading. Ran it and it came up as the full version. One happy customer here!