Finished- my impressions

A sci-fi RPG game https://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
noname
Young scout

Finished- my impressions

Post by noname »

Finished-great game. Didn't care for the romance element but you have to sell the game. I played on easy and still found some challenge. The final Boss battle was a surprise. I had the best weapons in the game and couldn't harm him enough to matter. I would have lost if I hadn't had a psionic with a skill level of about 150. I realized that all I had to do was let the psionic hit the boss with harm while the others simply used items to keep the psionic in business. The Boss had a resistance of 15 to everything and harm was the only weapon with damage potential high enough to hurt him. Am I missing something here or are all the weapons underpowered? The psionic seems far too weak to start but too powerful at the end.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Finished- my impressions

Post by jack1974 »

Beside the attack value it depends on the skill : if you have a 15 attack sniper weapon, if you maximize the Sniper Weapons skills you'll get +5 damage (I think, going by memory so might be wrong) so will be enough to damage them. But yes Psionics are essential. There are other strategies like using Psionic Disrupt to lower their defense values for example.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

As Jack1974 mentioned, Disrupt is a great equalizer, and usually requiring a balanced team to succeed. Another good skill is Shock which can stun opponents as well.
noname
Young scout

Post by noname »

jack1974 wrote:Beside the attack value it depends on the skill : if you have a 15 attack sniper weapon, if you maximize the Sniper Weapons skills you'll get +5 damage (I think, going by memory so might be wrong) so will be enough to damage them. But yes Psionics are essential. There are other strategies like using Psionic Disrupt to lower their defense values for example.
I did have my sniper skills up enough to get the +5 but it sure didn't seem to help much, not when the enemy have 720 hit points. I tried starting as a psionic first but quickly discovered it was no fun just buffing the rest of the team while trying to stay alive myself. I'm trying the Loren Amazon demo now. It doesn't interest me so far. I've met Elenor, Draco, and the dwarf girl, none seem to have the interesting personalities found in PS. I do like the way of character selection at the beginning. However I'll finish the demo to see what happens. For your first game I think PS was a remarkable product and I can't wait until PS2 is out. Are any of your other games similar to PS?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Loren is the only other RPG I've done so far, I'm afraid :) I think if you keep playing Loren it might interest you, there was another user that was a PS fan, and at first wasn't impressed with Loren and then became addicted :P
noname
Young scout

Post by noname »

jack1974 wrote:Loren is the only other RPG I've done so far, I'm afraid :) I think if you keep playing Loren it might interest you, there was another user that was a PS fan, and at first wasn't impressed with Loren and then became addicted :P

You are right Jack, finished the demo and need to scrape up some cash now to buy it!!
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

noname wrote: You are right Jack, finished the demo and need to scrape up some cash now to buy it!!
I would also recommend keeping an eye out for Seasons of the Wolf. It isn't out yet, but Ch. 1 is playable (it was being heavily playtested). I know what I've played of it so far I've highly enjoyed.