Question about a character's name

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Question about a character's name

Post by jack1974 »

One of my editors pointed out something, I'm not sure if I should change this or not, so I'm asking some opinions. In this game, the father of the three sisters is called "Sambo". My editor wrote:
Sambo is an offensive term for black person, especially in USA. I would not recommend using it for someone's name. ^^;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo_%28racial_term%29
Now I'm wondering, considering the character in game is white, and is a fantasy game, I should still change it? It's not a big deal at all, but I kind of liked the name :mrgreen:
Anima_
Druid

Re: Question about a character's name

Post by Anima_ »

You probably should.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yeah is just a search & replace anyway :)
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Post by Thee Forsaken One »

Personally I wouldn't bother. If you go searching for offensive terms for names in every country then you'll drive yourself mad. That one in particular is pretty archaic for a racist term, not to mention it is also a Russian martial art (Funnily enough the first result returned in Google is the martial art).
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

Switch the 'b' to 'p' => Sampo and you'll have a Finnish mythological reference =>
Sampo :D
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha could do that indeed! :)
Even if in the game he is just a normal NPC, not a hero or powerful mage :mrgreen:
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

Yeah, better safe than sorry, there are a lot of people in America who want to get upset, so if something is particularly easy for them to get upset about, it's sometimes best to just avoid it if it doesn't really matter.
Mad_Scientist
Young scout

Post by Mad_Scientist »

I'd definitely change it, there's too much bad stuff associated with that term. Especially in the US, you'd be risking hurting/offending a lot of people if you kept that name.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool, no problems, will change it :)
thesleepykitten
Official writer

Post by thesleepykitten »

Change it - even if it's an old word, it's still commonly known in the States (and other places too but I'm only familiar with a NA PoV...). Also it's not too difficult to Google names - I mean one of the first results you see is "Sambo (racial term)" from Wikipedia. It's probably best to avoid names that still have strong associations with it. ^^;

Edit - oh you just responded XD but yay!
Last edited by thesleepykitten on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.