Queen Of Thieves beta 0.9.1 (release candidate)

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Queen Of Thieves beta 0.9.1 (release candidate)

Post by jack1974 »

game info and pre-purchase: http://winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
Current beta download: http://www.macgames.biz/games/QoT-0.9.1-all.zip

What's New in 0.9.1
- more tweaks to XP, especially in later stages of the game
- in the story mission with Yenna, if you don't choose the "friendly option", added some texts explaining how you get the letters
- removed the texts in the battle log about the dodge chance since could be confusing (the real hit % is shown in the battle directly anyway)

What's New in 0.9.0
- tweaked the XP gain from battles, now you should get more XP than before, in line with previous version 0.8.0 which was better balanced
- fixed some Kira hair going outside two helmets :)

What's New in 0.8.9
- tweaked the noble treasure room amount and how often you get gems. You still get them in the special "trap rooms", but will be slightly more difficult to find them in treasure rooms
- tweaked the GUI showing the order of movement. Only a display change, the mechanics are the same as before (should predict who moves next more accurately)
- tweaked also how much money you get during robberies, especially in later stages. Since now several "blueprints" have more rooms, I reduced the amount of money assigned each room in the internal generator

What's New in 0.8.8
- mirror damage now works as expected (each hit decreases counter by 1)

This is the "release candidate". Which means that, if nothing else happens during this week, this will become the official release, and I'll build the usual separate downloads/installers for Win, Mac and Linux.
Because of this I also added the game to my site in "soft release" mode. It means will be linked from my homepage, but I still won't make the 3 installers and use the .zip downloads for now. Crossing fingers that won't have to touch it again until the release :)
myoksy
Druid

Re: Queen Of Thieves beta 0.8.8 (release candidate)

Post by myoksy »

The cheating bosses (skipping a turn) are strange - I just had one of the mercs in the pit doing this. Not 100 % sure but this seems to be newish.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I found out, it's just how the engine works. It's not related to any skills. Indeed with your save, if I stun the water elemental again, this time doesn't skip the turn.
It simply means that the boss acts twice. I've seen this happening during the normal fights, even your own characters. This behavior is there since the first Loren title.
For sure not going to touch the engine right now for this :)
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

okay, I see. funny that I never realized this until a couple of days ago : )
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

It happens more often in boss fights because of the lower number of participants. So the chance of getting two turns is higher, since there are less characters that could potentially act between the two turns. You could also see it quite often in the tutorial fight in Loren if Elenor was taking aimed shots all the time. Since the goblins were so slow Loren often got two turns.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ahh yes true! It happens more often if enemies are 1 (classic boss fight). In QoT it's rare to fight against a single enemy, so that's why you don't see it very often :)
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

shouldn't it be then possible to display this in the order column on the right? the turn skipping happens without a warning
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

as a follow-up question: how long is the delay of the AI paralysis non-action? I am quite sure is much shorter than Rest with 10, the only action available to PCs. but it feels as if this action is even faster than potion (5) or melee attacka (6) and this would explain why the bosses can cheat themselves out of paralysis so easy
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Both questions can be answered only by Anima since I have no clue :mrgreen:
Just consider that both in Loren and SOTW the paralysis wasn't working at all on bosses :wink: so in this game is better than before.
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

myoksy wrote:shouldn't it be then possible to display this in the order column on the right? the turn skipping happens without a warning
The problem is that I can't predict when the action after the next action will occur, only when the next action will happen, since the delay depends on which action is taken. Instead we use a recently weighted average to predict it. But that's pretty much an educated guess.
jack1974 wrote:Both questions can be answered only by Anima since I have no clue :mrgreen:
Just consider that both in Loren and SOTW the paralysis wasn't working at all on bosses :wink: so in this game is better than before.
How should I know how long it is in QoT? In Loren the para-action had wait 10.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI