Splitting the games based on romances

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Splitting the games based on romances

Post by jack1974 »

I already did that with Spirited Heart Girl's Love last year and people really liked it, and if you follow me on twitter know that I'm thinking to do the same with some upcoming games, like the dating sim Nicole.

The main reasoning behind this is simple: people tastes vary. So, instead of making a game with GxB and GxG romances and ask $20, I would split it in two (like I did for Spirited Heart) and then let the user decide what they want to play and pay. It would be easier for me (and probably more remunerative) to just have a single "base version" of Nicole with 3 GxB and 1 GxG, and then do an expansion with extra mixed stuff. But the reality is that many people who play otome absolutely don't like GxG, and vice versa! (and I guess the same for BxG and BxB).
So if I just include the 3 boys, I could price the game less (for example $15 instead of $20), and then do a proper yuri version with two more GxG for same amount. People who buy both would get a discount of course, so the final price would be only slightly more the usual price of my dating sim games and anyway proportionate to the amount of content.

For RPGs, that is different, since in those games the main purpose is not just the romance, like the dating sims/VNs. There are the battles, items, big decisions, skills, the story, etc etc so makes sense to just include everything and offer all kind of romances like I did with Loren or Planet Stronghold.

That's what I personally think should be the right way to do it, but I welcome any suggestions. If people are fine paying slightly more (like $25 for Loren/PS) to have "everything" at once, would be fine by me of course :)
Sylrissa
Druid

Re: Splitting the games based on romances

Post by Sylrissa »

Well I gave this some thought before answering ever since reading that you were considering this on twitter, and personally for your dating/VNs I prefer to stick with GxB or GxG being a woman myself who is attracted to both men and women, (though draco convinced me to try a run through as Saren, but I'm getting off topic =p)

I think it is a great idea, people who only want otome/yuri can save 5 dollars(which is a great price for the wealth of content), and an extra 5 to have even more total romances sits perfectly fine with me, and would be glad to see this as an option for all your future dating sims/VNs
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

I agree with this. I bought Spirited Heart for the GXG, but I thought that to play it, I needed the original GXB. I only noticed that I could have bought only the Girls Love wayyyy later(I can get easily distracted...T___T"), but if I could go back, I, as a lesbian, surely would in a instant. Now, I dont mind BXG romances(quite frankly, to me is all about the story lines), but I feel far more rewarded with the GXG ones(for obvious reasons). It will be better to the players to have distinct versions, I think that everyone will be pleased(both the Otome/Yuri fans).
Besides, this will spare the same repetitive questions like "Its only Otome?" or embarassing ones like "Yuck! Why there is so much Yuri on a Otome game?" T______________T
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for the feedback, is a quite controversial decision so I need feedback. Some on twitter disagreed or said I would make differences, but you can be sure that I would put the same effort both in GxB, GxG or any other "combination". Even if as a player have my own tastes (you might not believe it but beside BxG I like also GxG and GxB) as writer/producer I want to try making everyone's happy (that's why I added also BxB to many upcoming games).
pysali
Young scout

Post by pysali »

So for RPG's it would stay the same, a mix of GXG, GXB, BXB and cost $25 dollars flat, minus any potential expansion packs. <-- I don't have a problem with this cost especially since the expansion pricing has been including a lot of extra content (back story quests, new characters and romances and whole new quest lines).

For VN's/Life Sims it would then be $15 for the Otome GXB paths and then another $15 for the same base game but GXG paths, with a five dollar coupon for people who've bought the original or first version? So it would still be $25 dollars for people interested in all the romances or $30 regardless? The only difference between the two versions being the romances (which of course would be roughly 60-75% of the main content). I had brought up my concerns on twitter because while I don't have a problem paying $15-20 dollars for a VN it's when it starts climbing higher than that I start to balk. VN's don't have as much replay value for me personally as an RPG or an RPG hybrid does and feeling like I have to pay $30 because I happen to like both men and women... is frustrating.

But I can concede the same pricing as an RPG if both 'Girlside' and 'Boyside' together is $25. I know the art, writing, coding and production take a lot and the game is essentially twice as long if you're offering 3-4 romances per game/side.

You know, it's such an odd complaint. How dare you make compelling games that I want to play! GRR!
thesleepykitten
Official writer

Post by thesleepykitten »

So if I just include the 3 boys, I could price the game less (for example $15 instead of $20), and then do a proper yuri version with two more GxG for same amount. People who buy both would get a discount of course,
I'm fine with it. People that just want otome or yuri can save a little, and fans who want to explore both sides get a discount. Plus I kinda want to see that roommate Chandra being your friend in one version and then available in the other. ^^ Glad to see such variety. =)

(I'm panromantic. An asexual that can develop romantic feelings for anyone, regardless of gender. So I enjoy exploring all the paths, especially if I love the characters and it feels rewarding at the end. >.>b I look forward to your BxB in the future games!)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

pysali wrote: For VN's/Life Sims it would then be $15 for the Otome GXB paths and then another $15 for the same base game but GXG paths, with a five dollar coupon for people who've bought the original or first version? So it would still be $25 dollars for people interested in all the romances or $30 regardless? The only difference between the two versions being the romances (which of course would be roughly 60-75% of the main content).
Well those numbers were just examples :) Pricing is always hard, because in my next games I'm going to keep the dateable characters around the same amount (4-6 each game) but have LOT more scenes than my early VN/Dating Sim, so that increase production costs (more art, writing, storyboarding, etc). Of course, nowhere near to the amount of work/money/time required to do a RPG.
In Nicole case it would be $15 but if you buy both $25, not 30. If you add 2 in the cart, would get automatic discount, and if you bought one before you will get a discount either (like I did when I released Spirited Heart Girl's Love). Probably the best would be to do a simultanous release of both the GxB and GxG so people like you can buy at once being sure to always get the discounted price :)

I still have to think, maybe will just add 2 more GxG to the base game and still manage to price it only $20. That game should use the new engine so still some time before will be finished.
ChaosMorning
Young scout

Post by ChaosMorning »

I really like the idea--I'll certainly get both versions, the discounts a wonderful plan.
Jim1958
Young scout

Post by Jim1958 »

jack1974 wrote: Probably the best would be to do a simultanous release of both the GxB and GxG so people like you can buy at once being sure to always get the discounted price.
I like that idea. Being able to buy both at once would suit me well but if it was flexible, then other people could try one out to see if they liked it or just stick with they single type they like. I also like to play BXG, GXB and GXG so I like the idea of having both games.

Best Regards
Jim
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

I don't mind either way. As a gay man I always used to play as a woman (when it was available) in an RPG. Maybe so I could flirt with men and not get embarrassed, who knows. My point is playing romances of all kinds, BxG, GxB, BxB or GxG I get a frill out of, maybe it's because I don't hide who I am anymore I can just enjoy the story. Eg I loved (didn't think I would to be honest) Magical Diary (ever played?) All the romances were very well done (as are yours) but it didn't feel strange the change from dating boys to girls. What I am saying if I ever stick to subject! Is do want you think is best, if it's wrong people on here will soon tell you :lol: