wrong perception when making too many games

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Re: wrong perception when making too many games

Post by SimonStardust »

jack1974 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:11 am I mean there are people who say that PS1 was better than PSCD, which in all honesty seems just a crazy thing to say.
I loved both games - PSCD a bit more for the story and gameplay, PS1 a bit more for the writing and art (although with the manga update PSCD can match up to it.)

But in all honesty - there are many similarities in the casts (Bellamy and Mario, Prince Cliff and Rigel, Charlotte and Michelle, Rumi and Graciela, Kaden and Damien). This could make people think PSCD was just some bit of idea recycling and because of that still like PS1 better.
Well, just my thoughts about it.
(I have to admit though, that there will always be those people who will only accept the "original" and just as a matter of principle hate every following sequel, prequel, spin-off, etc. :lol: )
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, thinking about it now doing a game in same universe with different gameplay wasn't a great idea probably. Not because of the idea or the result, but because now I understand that people expect it to be very similar, or at least same gameplay type (if old was a RPG, new MUST BE a RPG!) :)
But in general sequels are really a minefield. I am not planning to do them anymore in future :oops: Or at least, not featuring the same characters, or very similar ones. Sequels but with different story, cast, setup, maybe that could still work.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

This is another case of a consumer who doesn't really follow development. Some people on Steam complained about "day-one DlC" for Loren, in spite of the fact that Loren and its DLC has already been released on your website for years. Working at a restaurant, sometimes there are guests who complain about food not turning out the way they expected because they failed to read the description on the menu...:wall:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha yes, sometimes customers are like that. My wife used to work at Ikea years ago and told me some horror stories that are really hard to believe...!
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

If people don't bother to me more informed, there is little you can do about it.

I read the review posted, and honestly, the author the doesn't much to say. A good review, even if it's negative, breaks down what went right and what went wrong with the game. Hopefully, that would translate in keeping up what where you excell and avoid pitfalls in your future titles. Buzzwords like "repetitive" don't mean anything because all video games fall into some a kind of loop, the question what tasks will players like, and if adding variation and complexity will the help the game or not.
vultureblade
Young scout

Post by vultureblade »

I liked SotW better than Loren :D

(But Loren was good too)

Generally I think your games are better then other Ren'py games because usually there's a.... game. Straight up visual novels kinda bore me. Having that additional gameplay element makes them so much better.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks :) And yes of course I know well that pleasing everyone it's impossible. As I said I don't want to promise "all my next game will be awesome" (who can say that? lol) but that I'm definitely not rushing them out or cutting corners. No, not at all!
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I thought SOTW was improvement from Loren in most respects. I think it was pacing where it suffered the most though, whether it be the placement of battles or the story suddenly slowing down at during Act 3.
mastro
Young scout

Post by mastro »

SOTW gameplay was the best of all WW games, maybe on par with PSCD.
Yes pacing was a bit weird in the last parts. Also, I'm pretty sure people didn't like the less romances vs Loren. Not just the amount but the whole story which is much less romantic. You have to understand that since most of your players are also dating sim players, this aspect is very important evne in your RPGs.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

For each game I made, I can find a review (on Steam or mobile) which says both:
- it's the best game I ever made (in some cases the best VN in general)
- it's the worst game I ever made (in some cases, worst game in general).
:lol:
a product's success in practice is if most people like it, for a reason or another. I read a review of Never Forget Me in which they liked the story etc, but because I reused the characters of the first game, was a thumb down. I reused many characters even in Heileen 2-3 and nobody said anything.
So it depends all on each specific invidual's preferences.