kinetic novels poll

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

would you play a kinetic novel (or a game with very few choices)?

You may select 1 option

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

kinetic novels poll

Post by jack1974 »

I already did this poll on twitter and result was slightly in favor of yes, but they don't last much and I think forum polls are better since I can leave them open for years :)
Basically what is your opinion of story based games with few or even no choices (the so called "kinetic novels"?). This of course doesn't concern the quality - a story is a good story. So it's not about if a game is well written or not, simply if you could get to "play" a game which basically is just reading the story.

I got interested in this topic after seeing several kinetic VNs which did extremely well on Steam.
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: kinetic novels poll

Post by Franka »

Personally, I never buy kinetic VNs. Whenever they pop up on my Steam feed, I instantly click ignore. They just don't engage me. I've yet to read a VN (with or without choices) that could actually rival a good book, so without the element of choice or some kind of gameplay feature, I'd buy a physical book from a well regarded author instead. It's the agency of choice that gets me involved in VNs... ok, and sometimes the boobs. :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:07 pm ok, and sometimes the boobs. :P
Finally the truth! :lol:
Yes personally I like more games with choices too. Not necessarily many, it's enough even only 4-5 but if they change the story a lot is still good for me.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I bought Fault- Milestone 1 and 2 when they were on sale. I really liked world building as far as writing is concerned; I'm less fond of the cliffhanger endings. The presentation was also strong, with solid artwork combined with nice use of effects and scrolling.

Due to the lack of interactive elements, kinetic VNs a need stronger story in order to compete with VNs with more interactive elements, let alone video games in general.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes that's what other people told me as well on twitter :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I am currently working on a secret yuri VN and the plan seems to be to have just ONE choice leading to 3 endings (it would be a smaller game). Though since it's also going to be my first eroge VN, probably it won't matter much, right? :mrgreen:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I can already see the negative reviews - "No replayability, just one choice in the whole game."

Now that I know ahead of time, I might personally not be disappointed, but if I went into it blind, just one choice in the whole thing would piss me off. At that point I would rather it be no choices at all and have it advertised clearly as a kinetic novel.

Honestly, I think it would be better to write in more choices and do the simple affection point system that games such as the Sakura series employ. Even just 5-6 choices that change a few paragraphs throughout will be better received than one choice to end them all (based on my experience playing and reading reviews for such games).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I can always do that, even if I was planning to be very straight and say in the game page (or even in the game blurb itself) that there was just one choice :)
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Well, I have played a few kinetic novels... very few among the hundreds of games I bought the last few decades. Usually I would read abook if I do not want choices, or a comic.

That said, a kinetic novel is still better than something with few choices or false choices: Choices which do not change anything are the worst. Better be honest and say KN.
Zeta123
Young scout

Post by Zeta123 »

I have played two recently that I really enjoyed, Umineko and House of Fata Morgana (well there're some choices here but I still feel it's more kinetic novel than vn). I think they both do quite well(?). For kinetics novels, I treat them like traditional novels with the added bonus of illustrations. So, I expect the writing to be on par with them.