Planet Stronghold: Warzone dev thread

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Planet Stronghold: Warzone dev thread

Post by jack1974 »

pysali wrote: So will there be a 'true canon' ending then or will you be trying to offer both as starting options? That seems like it would be a lot of work to incorporate, though appreciated.
No I'm going to offer both, at beginning you decide if "5 years ago" you sided with the Empire or with Shiler. The game will change based on that, you'll get different equipment and also goals. And different kind of resources though I haven't defined that well. I am thinking Empire=money, Marada=save the environment, something like that.
pysali
Young scout

Post by pysali »

Well that's one hell of a selling point right there. That's a ton of replay value in terms of playing Joshua/Lisa through both starting choices and four different classes and all the romance options. Will there be another branch in game as well like having to choose sides in the Warzone/conflict?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well no, since in practice this time you pick the side at the beginning :) but I plan to have some interesting new gameplay element, like moving troops in a sort of Risk game and decide where to participate with your party, and so on. It's obviously everything brainstorming/WIP so haven't made my mind yet on which features/gameplay will be the final one :) But worse case (if I decide making the big strategy map is too much effort) will still be as big as the first with many innovations, so I'd say quite good :D
pysali
Young scout

Post by pysali »

That sounds cool. There doesn't need to a second branch, I'm assuming you'll have gameplay elements that will involve making choices that will add to replay value (going to this strategic point a first will impact what happens on another side of the map to point b, but it's impossible to do both at once so maybe next time go to point b first and see what happens to point a) or something. Like how there were choices in the first game about which area to visit first or what order to help/fight.
Rebly82
Woods ranger

Post by Rebly82 »

Just wondering, are your romance options carried forward from the previous game?

Say, if Lisa romanced Tom/Michelle, will this be acknowledged in Planet Warzone?
SpectralTime
Woods ranger

Post by SpectralTime »

We talked about that. He's thinking about letting the player choose.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

pysali wrote:Like how there were choices in the first game about which area to visit first or what order to help/fight.
Yes, IF I make it with the map, there will be a main storyline that goes on, and the battle in background. I want to do something similar in gameplay to Persona. I mean, every day you get a choice about what to do, and you don't need to always fight, but you can also advance the plot with some scenes. And in some days you'll have 2 or more choices about what to do. Using this system is easier than what I did in 1st title since reduces the chances of having bugs and at same time is cool to play, because even if the events are listed in linear order, your choice affects the overall picture :)
SpectralTime wrote:We talked about that. He's thinking about letting the player choose.
Yep, a choice in beginning of game, with bonuses. Though I need to have a bonus also if you didn't romance anyone.
I was thinking: if you have romanced somebody, he/she gets a levelup bonus. If YOU haven't romanced anyone, you get a stat bonus. Sounds good? hm not sure :D
Quitch
Young scout

Post by Quitch »

I must say I'm more interested in it from a story perspective, it'd be nice to see a character who relates to me differently than the rest, or perhaps have set scenes with that individual where they voice opinions others wouldn't dare, etc.

Good luck, carrying a romance through a second game is hard. Just look at the BG2 expansion, Throne of Bhaal, that was pretty hit and miss. I really hope it works though because it's like reading a series of books where you become more and more attached to people as time goes on and the relationships become deeper.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Quitch wrote: Good luck, carrying a romance through a second game is hard. Just look at the BG2 expansion, Throne of Bhaal, that was pretty hit and miss. I really hope it works though because it's like reading a series of books where you become more and more attached to people as time goes on and the relationships become deeper.
Yes indeed it is interesting also for me to write, even if takes more time for all the possible romance option, it's nice. Though to balance reasons, I'm already thinking about replacing one of the first 8 characters in the game, but won't say who it is (not hard to guess though!).
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

jack1974 wrote:Though to balance reasons, I'm already thinking about replacing one of the first 8 characters in the game, but won't say who it is (not hard to guess though!).
*probably knows* Image