development thread

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: development thread

Post by jack1974 »

started working more on the map, tweaked the layout and added explorable locations, plus a preliminary list of the resources you can harvest (might reduce the amount later during testing).
I still don't have clear in my mind how all this will work :lol: But I found that the fastest thing is to just code a prototype, see how it plays and repeat until I have something that seems to be interesting :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm still testing/prototyping, but one thing I decided to do is change the "fortitude point" thing with "morale". Morale seems a much easier word to remember :) I need to see how will be the impact in the game, I don't want the party members to instantly panic/flee in cover obviously :lol: but I think would be nice to have some sort of mechanic so that if all enemies concentrate fire on a single party members, he/she can't just be kept alive and in perfect shape by spamming healing like in my other RPG games.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

work on the level up / skill tree system has begun. I want to try something different (once again) for the skills. We'll see if I can mange to make it work :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

more work on the level up screen today, I'm almost done with it apart the "reset skills" button. If you remember in all the other RPG you can't undo learning a skill. This is as big limit of the current framework and as usual, I wanted to try a hack to fix it. Currently though all I managed to do is make it crash every time :lol: So I'm not sure I'll ever manage to make that work...!

A nice touch is the bar indicating each skill level and also the "next level" in the skill description (so you know what the next level does).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Good news, it seems I managed to make the "reset skill points on level up" feature working, though some more testing will be needed. I also have the basic battle "working", which means it doesn't instantly crash :lol:
Now the fun part begins where need to recode the hit system completely... :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

tweaked the skills size / layout so they should all fit (each class has another line of 4 skills unique to each character). I also implemented all the non-combat skills, some of them provide a cumulative bonus so it will be definitely worth it. For example picking the Crafting skill with more than one character will reduce how many materials you need to use to craft a new item, and so on.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Cumulative. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah thanks :)
grey_duck
Young scout

Post by grey_duck »

Am I the only one who sees "Sector Zeta-9" and immediately substitutes "Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha" in their head?

The secret romance route that may or may not exist should totally involve sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Lol if it's some reference to a movie/comic/whatever, I don't get it :mrgreen: