PS2 prototype 0.6.4

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: PS2 prototype 0.6.4

Post by Troyen »

grey_duck wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:21 pm Finally finished moving and had a chance to download the demo (though I haven't played it yet). For some reason the demo can't be downloaded through the itch.io app (or, at least, I couldn't find it).
Find the PS2 store page and click the install button (red button on the right). I grabbed mine through the mac itch client.

There's no separate demo entry.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Jaeger wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 pm How is morale supposed to be managed anyways? In most battles, it either remains high or suddenly takes a sharp dive when an enemy decides to dogpile one particular party member, especially against high-damage opponents like hornets. Combine that with deteriorating defense, it can be hole that is difficult to get out of.
Currently morale changes the following way:
1) check enemy HP vs party HP. If is bigger, -1 morale (every turn)
2) check the percentage of health of the player: if is >80% increase morale by 1, otherwise decrease it based on %. Like <80% -1, <60% -2, <40% -3 and <20% -4 (every turn)
3) whenever player gets hit, morale lowers based on amount taken
4) if you kill an enemy you get a morale boost of 10+ difference of levels from party member to target. So if you kill an enemy +5 level vs party member you get +15 morale

...and I thought I had a negative boost if a party member gets KOed but I forgot to code that :) I could also raise morale based on party damage done for example. I'd like to be something that happens a bit, not too often.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

jack1974 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:43 am
Currently morale changes the following way:
1) check enemy HP vs party HP. If is bigger, -1 morale (every turn)
2) check the percentage of health of the player: if is >80% increase morale by 1, otherwise decrease it based on %. Like <80% -1, <60% -2, <40% -3 and <20% -4 (every turn)
3) whenever player gets hit, morale lowers based on amount taken
4) if you kill an enemy you get a morale boost of 10+ difference of levels from party member to target. So if you kill an enemy +5 level vs party member you get +15 morale

...and I thought I had a negative boost if a party member gets KOed but I forgot to code that :) I could also raise morale based on party damage done for example. I'd like to be something that happens a bit, not too often.
Thanks for the explanation. Now I see why morale is difficult to increase but drops quickly. But yes, I do think there could be more ways to raise morale, since the current system heavily skews towards losing it, especially when taking heavy damage. From playing so far, it seems positive morale bonuses never trigger when it remains high, yet I get the penalties quite often once it drops below 50%. Out of curiosity, why did you want a morale system in the first place?
Last edited by Jaeger on Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes of course it needs to be fine-tuned. For example in my first testing you could get both the <50 morale debuff AND then the <25 one :lol: which was clearly too much.
On next update I will increase morale for player when dealing damage the same way happens for enemies, so you should have more chances to raise it :)