Planet Stronghold 2 beta begins!

Discuss the sequel to Planet Stronghold here
jack1974
Pack leader

Planet Stronghold 2 beta begins!

Post by jack1974 »

To download/pre-order it, go here:
https://winter-wolves.itch.io/planet-stronghold-2

As you'll see it's the most complex game I've ever made so expect many bugs. As usual pressing F1 shows the current line in code on top-left window, useful to report many types of bugs! Also, the plot is insanely complex with two different factions (each with unique quests) and even if my editor and I have checked the script carefully, if you spot any plotholes, let me know either!

For those pre-ordering, I have no clue yet when it will be complete. SOTW took me 10 months to finish, in this case I already finished half of the main plot but there's still a lot of camp talk missing and all the romances. I think it won't be done for sure before September/October!

What's New in 0.6.22
- updated values in Droxo Deals, so that for same money you buy 50 units, since in later levels the amount of resources required to improve your items is higher
- reduced the price of upgrading items again, also items with elemental bonus (weapons or armors) will now have a lower base cost for metal/carapace. This way for example upgrading a Energy Pistol will cost radioactive resources but less (about 50% less) metals to balance things out
- fixed a bug in the dynamic enemy levels (might not work if you have already unlocked a sector). Now if you choose dynamic, and then revert back to default the enemy level will be correct (before they were stuck in the previous setting)
- fixed wrong value scaling for helmets, in particular unique/heavy helmets which could have HPRegen values too high
- the Cure skill line wasn't reducing the negative condition by the amount it should (Cure V would still remove 1 turn of the debuffs). Also increased the heal amount, making Scouts a viable backup healers
- upgrading with Gharl stones now is 20% cheaper in term of money
- during random encounters last enemy will retire (but still give the XP/loot)
- Harm skill line beside doing direct damage also does a damage over time, making it effective also against bosses or enemies with low HP
- both HP and PP Regen values will gradually lower as the battle goes on, to avoid battles with many healers to drag too much. The decrease is slow but will have an impact since at one point after several turns both you and the enemies won't be able to spam heal/resurrect. This will impact more the enemies, since usually players won't have more than 1-2 healers in their party
- the Drain Power skilltree has been changed to work on percentage of target's total PP
- greatly reduced the wait times when using Medikit or Aquapura (the character can usually act again after using the item)
- reduced Milo's Toxins direct damage (damage over time is the same) since was too powerful
- increased both Assault and Stand Ground effects duration to 5 turns
- tweaked medikits and aquapura: removed 3 fixed heal and added 3 regen over time medikit/aquapura. It works better with the new game changes. Note that if you still have old items in your inventory, the description might be outdated, but the behavior will be the right one. When you buy new items, the description/name will be the new one

What's New in 0.6.21
- adjusted the fatigue bar in the character screen (wasn't filling/scaling properly) and also display the number
- fatigue can never go higher than 30% (meaning you will maximum lose 30% of total HP/PP if a character fights for like 15 consecutive fights without resting)
- reduced Cure skilltree time to 12, also computer AI can now use it to heal other party members
- added a L to the item level display in inventory so it's less confusing (one could think it's the amount of items). Also now the characters' level is displayed in the vendor screen so you can see immediately who can equip items based on the level
- added all achievements icons (so far) and fixed a crash when clicking on an achievement that has no replay action (only the romance scenes will have it)

What's New in 0.6.20
- added FATIGUE! this brings back the situation closer to when I had deteriorating armor and tested the game with it. In practice: each party member will get tired after they participate actively in a fight, putting a cap to the HP/PP. If they get KOed in the fight, the fatigue will increase even more. To reset fatigue, you go back to the base and end the day. This should avoid players being able to complete ALL the quests in a single day and also add more strategy to the battles and party management, making the game more challenging.
- when using them in battle, grenades are displayed sorted by level/power
- the Destroy Armor skilltree was lowering only one armor resistance and not all of them as it should, now works properly
- enabled use of Gharl stones to gain XP to solve the problem of some characters remaining behind in levels (access it in Medbay)
- Damien's Time Bomb armor damage has been reduced (was too powerful) but the base damage done has been increased (was too low)
- the party autocombat AI now will heal the party members with lowest HP first (before was just going in order)
- removed even more Stun/Paralyze skills on regular enemies, replacing it with Stun. Stun delays the player next move but doesn't impose any restrictions like Shock

What's New in 0.6.19
- by mistake, the item generator was creating ONLY standard weapon (not elemental damage weapons!). This has been fixed
- fixed a bug that was causing the Morale to not recover after a Morale fail (only in certain situation) so would trigger an infinite loop of debuff!
- you now get a bonus of 50 metal scraps/carapace to upgrade your items towards end of chapter 2 when defending your colony
- the item level is now displayed on top-left corner when equipped, making easier to spot the items that need to be swapped in the inventory screen
- Drain Power has been considerably improved since right now was almost useless: delay from 18 to 12, and lower limits for normal enemies (since there's PP regeneration anyway, is not too powerful)

What's New in 0.6.18
- there was a bug in the random encounters XP, was giving out too much XP! now the XP is to the correct amount (if you grind hard enough you could reach level 20 or higher at end of chapter 2, which is definitely too high)
- the Will attribute was also reducing Buffs! So not only the debuff (negative) on your character. This has now been fixed
- restored the old feature "Last enemy flees from battle" (for non-lethal battles only) to avoid making random encounter last too much and also users exploiting the defense skill to restore completely the team to full HP/PP keeping the last enemy alive for long! you'll still get the XP and loot
- added new enemy voices
- if a subquest is failed, will now be displayed with strikethrough text style (before it was displayed like if it was successfully solved)
- tweaked random loot generator to drop twice Pistols item since it's unique (Sniper can use both Rifle and Sniper Rifle, Heavy Weapon can be both Bazooka or Cannons, etc)

What's New in 0.6.17
- increased drop rate of crafting resources, in particular metal and carapace, since it was hard to keep upgrading a decent amount of items to keep your party well equipped towards end of chapter 2
- removed time limit on quest "Seek and Destroy"
- "like old times" first quest wasn't resolving correctly
- fixed an issue in options screen where the VN Mode on text was going out of the screen
- the dynamic level wasn't working properly, once you set it, you couldn't bring the random encounters back to sector normal level ranges. Now it should be OK
- experimental: the Will attribute now will influence the debuff duration. When a character is debuffed, every turn a Will check will be performed (against a 0-99 random number). If successful, the debuff will be reduced by one

What's New in 0.6.16
- added email/private messaging system: from time to time you'll receive emails from your team members, romantic, jokes, serious emails, etc. Please note that are unedited texts, written by myself for now!
- fixed a freeze at beginning of chapter 2 if playing in visual novel mode
- added many more NPC voices, both in battle (enemies) and also other secondary characters like Cullen (snippets only, not full voiceovers)

What's New in 0.6.15
- Defend skill now always recovers 1 point of Defense, with the Repair Armor bonus added on top
- reduced the bandits AOE attacks frequency from 60-70% to 20-30%
- the XP bonus a lower-level character gets has been increased. It now counts the highest level character in the fighting team and adjust the XP gain accordingly. So if your main character is level 10 and you bring level 9-8-7 team mates each will gain more battle XP proportionally to their levels, making leveling up less used characters much easier
- money earned from fights is increased again

What's New in 0.6.14
- when dual wielding, the total speed bonus of both weapons was the sum of their values. So if you had two pistols with 35 speed you'd get 35+35=70 speed bonus just from that, definitely too high. Now the off-hand weapon speed bonus is reduced to 20% of its original value
- Shock I and II had same texts. Also tweaked the Shock damage value since was OP
- Perfect Shape slightly nerfed to 4-8-12-16-20 speed bonus
- introduced soft-caps: both HP and PP will increase by 4 each point spent in the relative attribute up to 15, by 2 up to 25 and by 1 all points spent after that. This prevents abusing attributes to reach HP/PP values so high that makes impossible battles trivial (thanks to Franka for breaking the game once again! lol)
- Toughness now grants fixed bonus HP values and not in percentage as before (was too powerful)
- made slightly harder the Hard/Nightmare difficulty levels

What's New in 0.6.13
- the Defend action now will restore HP/PP up to the 50% of maximum values
- fixed a bug that would let you do both chapter 2 main quests twice each. In practice at the beginning they're mutually exclusive, but completing one would enable the other, so you could in practice do each twice !
- the Dredan merchant in chapter 2 would give you 25 gharl stones and not 5 as it should have!!! too powerful
- you could repeat the "crossroad scene" in chapter 2 raid unlimited times, this has been fixed
- reduced the drop rate of medikits slightly
- changed Stun Punch of Matrick Breeder so that delays next target move but no paralyze effect since it's too annoying to have in regular fights
- fixed an issue with Philipp not showing right image in camp talk (no more details to avoid spoilers!)

What's New in 0.6.12
- Snap Shot was clearly overpowered, less than half wait time than Normal shot, and only 25% less accuracy (which translated in not much less damage). Especially in early stages coupled with high speed it was almost a "cheat mode" :) Thanks to Franka for discovering this
- the statistic screen was displaying badly if you killed a big amount of different enemies, this has been fixed
- fixed a crash if you clicked on the crafting screen from map and then exit it
- fixed a wrong zorder problem with the item details, clicking on the rarity filters would make it partially disappear (semi-transparent)

What's New in 0.6.11
- the amount of credits was scaling too much based on levels - towards end of chapter 2 you could get 3500 credits in a single fight, a bit too much! it has been tweaked now
- Steal life skill was too powerful, at maximum level with Jacob could steal 103 HP from a single target! highest damaging skill in the game, and it also heals the attacker. So it has been nerfed considerably, it was OP
- fixed an issue when having too many grenades/usable items in inventory, using them during the battle would make the grenade icons go out of the selectable area, now added two buttons to scroll the list of grenades.

What's New in 0.6.10
- fixed a bug in the upgrading of unique Psionic Helmets. In the game there was only one, Gaia's Crown, but would crash if you tried to upgrade it. Made a fix for the existing players who should be able to continue, and also updated the definition in the armor file so it's the correct item tag (before was just "Helmet" which was wrong)

What's New in 0.6.9
- fixed a crash towards the end of chapter2 after the raid mission
- fixed a cosmetic bug, the underground caves map was showing in the planet map overlapping a previous map (it should remain hidden instead)

What's New in 0.6.8
- fixed a rare crash in the ToHit function when calculating the critical chance during battles
- enemies killed now aren't counted again if they get resurrected in the same battle. It matters only who kills them first for the statistics screen

What's New in 0.6.7
- merged the proofread texts, so all the camp talks until end of chapter 2 are edited
- moved the statistics screen to the player's room, you can access it from the early stages of the game now
- also fixed wrong statistic (was counting even empty aliens slots in the kill-count)

What's New in 0.6.6
- fixed some missing expressions and a minor crash on chapter 2 if you used a specific skill in a subquest (rare but could happen)

What's New in 0.6.5
- initial beta testing release + demo.

Known Issues:
- Some camp talk scenes haven't been proofread/edited yet (the ones in chapter 2).
- Some characters are still missing their battle and chat start/end voices, in particular Lisa, Joshua, Philipp, etc
Jaeger
Druid

Re: Planet Stronghold 2 beta begins!

Post by Jaeger »

I got crashes, I'm guessing those areas were not meant to be accessed until later?

I tried acessing the armory and got this.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/gameflow.rpy", line 521, in <module>
NameError: name 'CAShop' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/gameflow.rpyc", line 521, in script
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\planet-stronghold-2-demo\renpy\ast.py", line 900, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\planet-stronghold-2-demo\renpy\python.py", line 1930, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/gameflow.rpy", line 521, in <module>
NameError: name 'CAShop' is not defined

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.2.2.491
Tue May 28 23:51:08 2019
Tried to go to the medbay

While running game code:
  File "game/gameflow.rpy", line 436, in <module>
NameError: name 'lakadema_arrived' is not defined

Full traceback:
  File "game/gameflow.rpyc", line 436, in script
    ���Lq!������o����$�S1��kN�O��r�q�B�o�	�9�y�i15�`M�{�-�0l2Ћ �b����%�{b�˗��+M���)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\planet-stronghold-2-demo\renpy\ast.py", line 1807, in execute
    if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\planet-stronghold-2-demo\renpy\python.py", line 1961, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\planet-stronghold-2-demo\renpy\python.py", line 1954, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/gameflow.rpy", line 436, in <module>
NameError: name 'lakadema_arrived' is not defined

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.2.2.491
Wed May 29 00:27:38 2019
Private room

While running game code:
  File "game/gameflow.rpy", line 375, in <module>
NameError: name 'chp2_secret_meeting' is not defined

Full traceback:
  File "game/gameflow.rpyc", line 374, in script
    ��˷<�]2��j�?�=�Q�a'-����P+���D��I�`��B�UD�j��?ǟ"�����?{׷_i!W����_���p�n�(m�24Ŭbl:{9����uv��4�������ˬ.��LI�����gY܏�+O�ғP)�ԕfS��f���E�9�C��L���εC3�y����dU�-uuu�+�|f$c�F\(��<�9)@�rHM�'��&vo��oPJ-�������䖡EfC �����$�t8��RjM���:\fM�,���rv?�z�L��;�7�ފ����U�-hS�JI��`��z�,1���q�h!�+3��Of�}���l֧WC:8��]�g��PU�ϠPh�e�
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\planet-stronghold-2-demo\renpy\ast.py", line 1600, in execute
    item_arguments.append(self.item_arguments[i].evaluate())
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\planet-stronghold-2-demo\renpy\ast.py", line 188, in evaluate
    kwargs[k] = renpy.python.py_eval(v, locals=scope)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\planet-stronghold-2-demo\renpy\python.py", line 1961, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\planet-stronghold-2-demo\renpy\python.py", line 1954, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/gameflow.rpy", line 375, in <module>
NameError: name 'chp2_secret_meeting' is not defined

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.2.2.491
Wed May 29 00:28:55 2019
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Those crashes are of version 0.6.5, can you try to update to the latest one and see if they still do that? (might happen but not the armory, is strange).
Ahh sorry is the demo lol. I will check. I probably shouldn't have a demo of such a complex game while it's still in development :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK I think now the demo should work, of those only the armory was a "real bug", the others were due to being a demo, had to tweak some files and works (since the full version was working already).
I need to do like 99% of other indies and stop making demos, too much time wasted :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha sorry but today finally I decided to make my mind and not do demos anymore for my games. I know this will disappoint some of you but in the end literally everyone I spoke with said that demos not only are a waste of time but can seriously hurt your sales.
Besides, you all know that PS2 is going to be great, right!?!?
Jokes apart it should be clear the kind of gameplay already from the various videos I made, and I plan to do more in future :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

After I first got to the world map, I entered crafting screen, then exited. Bad stuff happened.

While running game code:
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 461, in execute
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 464, in execute
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 465, in execute
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 468, in execute
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 470, in execute
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 471, in execute
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 471, in <module>
NameError: name 'MyMap' is not defined

Full traceback:
  File "game/plot/map.rpyc", line 988, in script
  File "F:\Temp\PlanetStronghold2-0.6.11-fullversion\renpy\ast.py", line 1375, in execute
    renpy.exports.with_statement(trans, paired)
  File "F:\Temp\PlanetStronghold2-0.6.11-fullversion\renpy\exports.py", line 1578, in with_statement
    return renpy.game.interface.do_with(trans, paired, clear=clear)
  File "F:\Temp\PlanetStronghold2-0.6.11-fullversion\renpy\display\core.py", line 2240, in do_with
    clear=clear)
  File "F:\Temp\PlanetStronghold2-0.6.11-fullversion\renpy\display\core.py", line 2690, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "F:\Temp\PlanetStronghold2-0.6.11-fullversion\renpy\display\core.py", line 3074, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "F:\Temp\PlanetStronghold2-0.6.11-fullversion\renpy\display\core.py", line 534, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback, seen)
  File "F:\Temp\PlanetStronghold2-0.6.11-fullversion\renpy\display\core.py", line 534, in visit_all
  File "F:\Temp\PlanetStronghold2-0.6.11-fullversion\renpy\display\screen.py", line 424, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "F:\Temp\PlanetStronghold2-0.6.11-fullversion\renpy\display\core.py", line 3074, in <lambda>
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "F:\Temp\PlanetStronghold2-0.6.11-fullversion\renpy\display\screen.py", line 434, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "F:\Temp\PlanetStronghold2-0.6.11-fullversion\renpy\display\screen.py", line 619, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 464, in execute
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 465, in execute
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 468, in execute
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 470, in execute
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 471, in execute
  File "game/plot/map.rpy", line 471, in <module>
NameError: name 'MyMap' is not defined

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.2.2.491
Wed May 29 13:47:43 2019
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha interesting. Thanks for this, obviously I played the game always as "developer" but players doing random things always brings out the most obvious bugs :lol:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

In a shop, if you filter item ranks, the comparison "window" turns dark, and remains so. (I got it to go back to regular by clicking an item slot on a character and clicking close.)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah must be some screen zorder, will check it. Fixed already previous bug but I'm waiting before updating in case you find out more :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Just an observation. I'm playing on normal level. I adjusted my atributes, so I have 0 Will and 0 Agility, instead going for lots of Speed, and a little of the rest. This works remarkably well so far. Just using pistol snap shots, I get 3-4 attacks per enemy attack, 1 of which is usually a critical, so I destroy Defense quickly, deal lots of damage with criticals, my morale is fine (changing Will to 0 didn't affect Morale?) and it's only during round 1, when enemies fire off all their skills, that I take any significant damage.

This probably doesn't work on Nightmare, but I'm questioning if Will and Agility are of any use?