Sneak Preview #24 – Roger Steel in trouble again ...

A steampunk RPG
FenCayne
Young scout

Re: Sneak Preview #24 – Roger Steel in trouble again ...

Post by FenCayne »

ankewl wrote:Oh yeah, this is something I've been meaning to ask: how do you approach writing the opposite sex?
Very carefully :P Seriously, in my experience, there is at least as great a variation in character and outlook within the sexes than between them. When cultural differences are taken into account, the picture gets even more complex. As long as you know and interact with women on a daily basis and have some elementary observation skills, I don't think writing female characters is a big problem. No more than say, as a straight male, writing gay characters. It helps if you like women (and I don't mean that in the most obvious sense, either :lol:) and like spending time with them, talking with them, and most importantly listening to what they have to say and how they say it. Most of my writers group, for example, are and always have been, women, most twenty or more years older than me. Another thing I do is read both non-fiction and fiction aimed at or written by women, especially about female (not necessarily feminist) issues, but then I am a very eclectic reader and far too curious about lots of things for my own good. (By the way, in the fiction department, Jack's games are quite instructive :wink:)

In short, I'd say concentrate on writing interesting characters doing interesting things and probably the issue will take care of itself.
FenCayne
Young scout

Post by FenCayne »

Just a word regarding Sneak Previews ... I will really try to do one a week (we have quite a few topics to go through even before meeting the characters - although we will hopefully start to do that soon). It's interesting to me as the author to see what aspects of the game attract attention and what expectations you all have. Beards, for example :) Sometimes, I get inspiration from reading the comments and even though the background, story and characters are all mapped out, I do some improvisional character development or incidental plotting. Not saying that we can - or will even try - to please everyone, but feel free to jump in with your two-cents' worth. Even when I don't have time to comment I do read through the threads and we appreciate your engagement with the game even at this early stage.
biscuit
Woods ranger

Post by biscuit »

ValHallen wrote:i hope he will do Arthur with a manly beard, since the protagonist from the other games are shaved
i know he is 18-20 years old, but i still vouch for the manly beard
Are you looking for a 'beard meter' like in Coming Out On Top? :D

(The thought simply made me giggle!)

Especially if Ann also gets her own version of the beard meter: short, long, or SUPER long hair!
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

biscuit wrote:
ValHallen wrote:i hope he will do Arthur with a manly beard, since the protagonist from the other games are shaved
i know he is 18-20 years old, but i still vouch for the manly beard
Are you looking for a 'beard meter' like in Coming Out On Top? :D

(The thought simply made me giggle!)

Especially if Ann also gets her own version of the beard meter: short, long, or SUPER long hair!
what is coming out on top?
biscuit
Woods ranger

Post by biscuit »

It is a gay dating sim that was recently funded on Kickstarter. :) Not my usual genre, but I think it has a beard meter! (You get to pick how hairy you/the men are)
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

biscuit wrote:It is a gay dating sim that was recently funded on Kickstarter. :) Not my usual genre, but I think it has a beard meter! (You get to pick how hairy you/the men are)
there's no need for a beard meter, because everyone know more bears = more awesomeness