Detroit become human

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

Detroit become human

Post by jack1974 »

I just finished playing it and I loved it - but honestly I loved all quantic dreams games since I played Omikron :)
This one has a surprisingly really complex story, there's an insane amount of branching. A pity that you can't replay quickly as a visual novel made in Ren'Py though.
I am not sure such a branching really made the game better in the end. I mean, if that was a compromise between a longer game or more choices, I'd prefer a longer game (even if it's very long already to be honest).
While I preferred Until Dawn or even Life is strange, I still think this is a must-buy for any PS4 owners.
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: Detroit become human

Post by Franka »

I'm on my second game now, exploring various possibilities. This one will be faster because I let one of the protagonists die very early on.

If you're interested in a heavily branching visual novel, you should look at The Letter.

Detroit is almost as good as Heavy Rain, a lot better than Beyond: Two Souls, but I'd also say that Until Dawn is the best game so far in this style.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I heard about that game, I need to check it out when I have time :)

I personally liked Beyond as much as Heavy Rain but mainly because of Ellen Page... :mrgreen:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I like Ellen Page, but the writing for Beyond was horrible. David Cage should just stay away from writing supernatural stuff, it got really messy in Fahrenheit too. Still fun to play, just plots that spin out of control.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

In Fahreneit was much worse IMHO, now several years have passed but I remember it was full of plot holes, and in the end there was the impression they didn't even know how to finish the story :lol:
Anyways in Detroit there's top-notch writing. They were airing Blade Runner 2049 on TV last night, and I tried to watch it after playing this game and I was shaking head thinking "there's no comparison in term of writing quality" :)
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

I have a love/hate relationship with David Cage games, I loved heavy rain, while being less then thrilled with beyond two souls.

Having played through Detroit now, I've been thoroughly impressed and feel it's imho his best game yet. I love the huge variety in ways the story can branch out from your actions, and they seem to have real consequence.

They weren't afraid to create entire scenes and levels that you'll never see on a playthrough if you take a certain path.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes this is without doubts their best game for sure :)
Also it's the first time in an AAA title where the branching is as complex as a normal visual novel. I'm really impressed, because doing all that branching in 3d with real actors is a crazy effort.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

My second game was better than the first because
Spoiler:
I let Kara die early on.
The story was much more focused and coherent after that.

I still like Heavy Rain better, having recently replayed it. Detroit's story telling is just too heavy handed and on the nose for my tastes, especially when it comes to issues of segregation. Subtle it is not.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes as much as I like Kara's model (ahem) it's probably the most boring storyline of the three to follow :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

It's the most emotional, and it's not that I didn't like it, it just didn't fit very well with the other story lines. It was like a DLC story for the game, "stuff that happened elsewhere."