Souls-like

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

Souls-like

Post by jack1974 »

So as crazy as it seems I started playing and liking those games :lol:
It began with Bloodborne for PS4. I absolutely loved the kind of setting and art, but of course wasn't sure about the difficulty. I checked many guides online and then I thought "well worse case I should be able at least to play half of it". Obviously that game has one of the hardest bosses ever and it's the FIRST boss (excluding the undead beast) :lol:
Anyway, I kept trying and I started to like them so I also abought dark souls 2-3 and what I liked mostly was the RPG part of it (I didn't know it was so detailed, I thought they were mostly action games).

I am really interested in making a RPG where you control only one character, because they're very different from party-based ones (obviously). Well I have already one planned but need to do first Loren 2... so will take a while :oops: :mrgreen:
Jaeger
Druid

Re: Souls-like

Post by Jaeger »

Real-time games naturally work with solo characters.

When it comes to turn-based games with solo characters, I haven't played many of them. Out of the ones I did play, combat usually one of the weaker points of those games anyways. Underrail is one of the exceptions; it appears to be similar to Fallout, but offers much more in terms of tactical options.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well I was thinking to try something real-time indeed. Of course not frantic like the souls games. Anyway, there's still a lot of time before I can actually get to work on something like that!
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Dark Souls has a slower pace compared to other action-RPGS. However, it is stacked with variables like low resources and low health-to-damage ratio that make mistakes punishing.

Either way, I'm curious about what would want to try out, especially since the majority of your games have been turn-based.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes me too lol. Some turn-based games "souls-like" were done like Slay the spire (card game) but I wanted to try something that could also be played in pseudo-real time or turn based. Anyway will need to do several experiments first!