Act 3 fixed items

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: Act 3 fixed items

Post by Troyen »

In my case, Chalassa's "Legendary item" was beaten out by some level 11 bracers I found in the middle of Act 2. It wasn't amazing enough to even bother equipping at all. Given how resistance works, I'm not sure I would even if the resistances were buffed. Even with lots of resistance, I frequently find myself facing many mobs that all use the same debuff ability, so I get up to ten stacks of poisoned or whatever and just have to deal with it or purify it. 30 resist all won't change that. (The 75 paralysis is good on it's own in certain scenarios, but I hate swapping gear between fights and 75 resist all might be overpowered.)

I'd rather have some more attack or defense (or both).
Taleweaver wrote:Chalassa was supposed to start the game a good ten levels above the others and then get de-leveled to the average of the others due to Rowinda's and Yeldin's spells fucking her up. The BoB was supposed to return a little of that awesomeness back to her, for example ^_^
Was wondering what the in-game effects of her sickness was supposed to be.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Okay then will power up her item then :)
Taleweaver
Official writer

Post by Taleweaver »

jack1974 wrote:Yes I didn't go that way because I could already imagine the shitstorm "BUG!!! Chalassa lost 10 level!! I want my money back!!". This comes from my long experience in making games and dealing with various types of users :mrgreen:
Have these guys even HEARD of Metroid? This sort of thing (you start out with all abilities then lose them after the first 15 minutes of the game and have to regain them) happens in almost every one of that series!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

To be honest it would also have been a bit problematic to do code-wise :mrgreen: the easiest solution was to have her lose attributes rather than XP/levels, though.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Taleweaver wrote:
jack1974 wrote:Yes I didn't go that way because I could already imagine the shitstorm "BUG!!! Chalassa lost 10 level!! I want my money back!!". This comes from my long experience in making games and dealing with various types of users :mrgreen:
Have these guys even HEARD of Metroid? This sort of thing (you start out with all abilities then lose them after the first 15 minutes of the game and have to regain them) happens in almost every one of that series!
Yeah, but that's at the beginning of the game (God of War is a good example too). Little different from at the end of Act 2 where it's undoing hours of building up the character. (If she lost levels, then she's no longer eligible to equip items you bought for her, for example.)
Taleweaver
Official writer

Post by Taleweaver »

Troyen wrote:Yeah, but that's at the beginning of the game (God of War is a good example too). Little different from at the end of Act 2 where it's undoing hours of building up the character. (If she lost levels, then she's no longer eligible to equip items you bought for her, for example.)
In Act 2, you shouldn't be able to buy items a Lv15 character can't use (which is the power level Chalassa would have been nerfed to).
Last edited by Taleweaver on Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taleweaver
Official writer

Post by Taleweaver »

jack1974 wrote:To be honest it would also have been a bit problematic to do code-wise :mrgreen: the easiest solution was to have her lose attributes rather than XP/levels, though.
That would have made her actually worse since higher levels require more XP to level up from.
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

A few weeks later..... I don't think that act 3 neccessarily needs fixed items, because of the shops of Shacklesplit do generate a lot of variety and at least so far I've been supplied for. If I have any issues with the stuff on sale, it's that
a) if I play with 3 mages, there aren't really good staves on offer for them. A good staff might come from the Lich Lord as a drop. Sometimes there's been one random decent staff on sale. In one play I left Shacklesplit with one mage still wielding the level 11 Dunespire from Dingirra. :P This problem is further demonstrated by the fact that the Elven Legacy staff is currently no competition to the Spirit of Ninim. (check below)
b) Most armour for thieves have worse thresholds than lower level stuff. Problematic for those who use the thieves in the frontrow. (not talking only about Hunter, also Chas and Jariel find themselves often in the front row, especially when there's no Ranger)

Check these stats. Spirit of Ninim >>>>>> Elven Legacy. And if you didn't already know it... Spirit of Ninim**) has 2HPR and 2SPR. The only way the player can see that right now is to check the stats in a fight (or read the .ods in the first post, lol, not a viable option when the game's released :P). So even the 4SPR isn't a reason to take that staff. Especially since you can have the Spirit on your Druid, plus Mana Channel #4, PLUS *if you are really lucky* you might find an awesome staff like this elsewhere:
**)In contrast to the description, you can currently sell Spirit of Ninim.

In any case: Do any fixed items really need to be added in Act 3? Mana Channel No 5s with a bit of stats boosts would be easy to add, but do we really even need that? The reward/legendary items have SP regen. Shall we make things easier in regards to completing the testing and not add fixed items to Act 3? Just fix the reward staff/spirit -no-competition issue (and add some lore)?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah I will remove the regen from Spirit Of Ninim since it shouldn't be there at all :mrgreen:
I think we can add 1-2 staves for mages indeed. It might make also some boss fight a bit easier (because better staves=more powerful spells damage) so would be a good thing as well.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I've updated the .ods file, I've boosted the Elven Legacy stats more, so it's competitive vs that random item you got. Set damage and attack both to 15 :) If you want to add some more staves or some thief armor with high threshold, feel free to do it. I think we won't need many though, max 2-3, not more.