Deceit and Jul

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
marja376
Young scout

Re: Deceit and Jul

Post by marja376 »

I haven't been able to defeat Deceit either, even after reequipping to reduce vulnerability to paralysis and lightning, trying several different strategies, and reducing the difficulty to easy. I didn't want to micromanage my companions' skills, it seemed dishonest, so I let the computer select their skills, which does make for mismatched skills. I rarely had too much trouble with other fights.

If there were a way to switch around skills, that would help. Otherwise, I'm left either dropping the quest or repeating the whole season to get appropriate skills.
Taleweaver
Official writer

Post by Taleweaver »

Sorry about that. Deceit is an optional quest, and both he and Jul are supposed to be hard to beat.

Have you tried packing a truckload of potions and scrolls?
marja376
Young scout

Post by marja376 »

Yes. Of course. I have plenty of the basic potions, but when Deceit cleanses twice, he's back at full strength and we're not. I can't use scrolls, because they are labelled mage class only, and the magic users are all specialty classes. I can't use the bombs either, because they are labelled thief class only, and again all other classes. I tried the trick of switching the positions because Deceit focuses paralysis on the back rank.

I am not going to drop the quest, because Althea wouldn't.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Note that to get the achievement you need to play in Hard/Nightmare, but to solve the quest you can just switch to Easy/Normal difficulty. In Easy difficulty it should be definitely possible to win :)
marja376
Young scout

Post by marja376 »

In Easy difficulty it should be definitely possible to win
I haven't been able to defeat Deceit either, even after reequipping to reduce vulnerability to paralysis and lightning, trying several different strategies, and reducing the difficulty to easy. I didn't want to micromanage my companions' skills, it seemed dishonest, so I let the computer select their skills, which does make for mismatched skills. I rarely had too much trouble with other fights.
Should be does not imply is. I can't do anything about cleanse-spam. All the solutions I've seen either (a) aren't enough or (b) assume that I've picked the right skills for the characters, when I've deliberately avoided picking the skills and can't change the skills now. I see that some of us can use the "thief-only" equipment, it was just mislabelled, but I think I would need to restart the chapter to finish with anything except "everyone except Chalassa got killed trying to save Chalassa."
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well if you want to send me the save, I'd be curious to try.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2971
I didn't consider that the bombs were very useful and since Chalassa can't be in the team, you can't use them unless one of the siblings is a Thief. A possible easy solution is to add some fireball/whatever scrolls that can be used by mages or other that can be used by Warrior too.
marja376
Young scout

Post by marja376 »

It turns out hunters and bards can use theif equipment, so for my last try I loaded up on bombs. I can't identify the relevant saves just yet though.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah yes there's Jariel! OK with bombs definitely is possible to win, I'm quite sure of it.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Course Jariel has a really high miss rate against Deceit.

Tip: You can save mid-fight and reload if you miss a key bomb or Deceit cleanses instead of doing something else. If you save a few turns before Deceit's turn, he might do something different on his turn.