development thread (art, writing, etc)

A fantasy yaoi dating sim set in the world of Aravorn https://www.winterwolves.com/heirsandgraces.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: development thread (art, writing, etc)

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I think she did a great job. We decided the main story together, the characters, etc but then she had a lot of freedom and I think she didn't disappoint. I understand that the kind of game might not please everyone of course.
Perhaps in future will be better to always include at least two target demographics for each game (like BxG and BxB, or GxB and GxG and so on).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Kamal is my favorite character of the game for sure. Reminds me of Amukiki, though has some obvious differences :)
rooke30
Young scout

Post by rooke30 »

Whoa, nice! A font that's beautiful and incredibly easy to read. It's not as pretty to look at as the other one, but overall I think it's superior for displaying large amounts of text :)

Saw this as I was skimming my twitter feed, and I just went 'Wow!'
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I think the other one was nicer, but being similar to italics, using for the whole game was too much. I'll still use it in buttons, etc though :)
Today I'm planning the scheduler, I think MAYBE in 1-2 weeks I could do the beta if I get the right ideas for it :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

in the game there are several scenes which have different outcome based on the skill values, but I decided to display the actual skill check, so players can know for the next playthrough :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Lol I messed up with this game tracks :lol:
(this is another example how why doing too many things at once is BAD).
Nothing irreparable, but in practice, the tracks I have done are mostly happy. Royal sounding, with nice harpsichord instruments etc, but mostly happy, while in this game there are several dark/sad/melancholic situations. So I need more tracks for those moments.

You can't really play a happy track while one of the characters (Lady Rosalynn, who will be hated by everyone :twisted: ) says:
"You are not a slave. You are a servant-- someone that chooses to degrade yourself by obeying the orders of another for mere coin."
"You and the others may think highly of yourselves, being in such close proximity to those of us with real rank and nobility, but in actuality you are the lowest of the low."

I've already commissioned them to the artist and he is usually fast (can do 1 track a week, sometimes faster) but this will delay everything a bit. Will work on the scheduler / stat system meanwhile :oops:

Here's the screenshot in case you want to see the nice Lady Rosalynn:
(I think the artist made a great job with her, she's just perfect!)
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Post by SimonStardust »

I think it's not just Rosalynn - all of the art is just superb! I like this style a lot: Just the right mix between manga and semi-realism, lovable details added to spice it up even more. Even if it wasn't of my favorite genre (BxB set in a fantasy world!) the art would easily make me buy this game.
Funny fact: My sister follows the artist on tumblr. Usually she's not that much of a visual novel/dating sim gamer. But when she saw who made the art for this game, she said she NEEDS to play this once it's out. xD
So... is there any chance, you'll commission this artist again for future games? I'd really love to see it. ^^

Btw: From all the screenshots we've seen so far... I guess Marcel forgot how to smile. But well... maybe as a servant there are no happy times for him. x,D
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I already used this artist in the past to do the CG images of SOTW (maybe you didn't know if you never played that game).
And yes I will be using him again in future but need to find the right project. I think he is really good with fantasy stuff (costumes, etc).
And Marcel knows how to smile, it's just that the screenshot I picked were all of some tense/dramatic moments :mrgreen:
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Post by SimonStardust »

Ah, yes... thanks for reminding me. Those CGs - I loved them, too. Although I never came around playing SOTW as Althea. Maybe I should do that sometime. ^^
That's great to hear. And I agree: His style fits the fantasy genre really well. ^^
I thought so already. xD Keep them screenshots coming. I'm always eager to look at them. ^^ Maybe I will even try to comment a bit more. (I'm super shy and have a hard time finding the right wording... so... I usually prefer to watch silently. ^^;)
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD
SilverHyena
Young scout

Post by SilverHyena »

I'm just going to leave this here...

...I'll get back to work now. :P