Powergaymer review

A fantasy yaoi dating sim set in the world of Aravorn https://www.winterwolves.com/heirsandgraces.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Powergaymer review

Post by jack1974 »

Thank you :)
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

Completely agree, especially with Marcel. He might be the best player character I've ever seen in any Dating Sim, relate-able, actually has defineable goals with an objective, and has a personality to a degree we can predict how he will act. Like Marcel may be my favorite Winter Wolf character in general, he was done so well
MissMemorielle
Young scout

Post by MissMemorielle »

I hate to be the one to rain on anyone's parade, but the art isn't just a manner of taste - there are actual anatomical mistakes very clearly evident in how both the sprites and the CGs are done, the line-art is shaky and there is a stiffness about the characters which looks odd. Not to say that the art is bad in a general sense, but yeah, compared to a lot of other dating sims it is not really held up to that standard, considering it's a paid service.
Now, I draw a lot myself so it might just be that I am more sensitive to this than others, but I showed the game to a couple other of my artists friends and the general consensus is that it's not... outstanding.

I've played "Coming Out On Top" and that game is in a very different league art-wise, so I feel like there is no reason to pull that game out to make a point of people preferring that style. Both styles are semi-realistic. Preferences are a huge thing when it comes to art, but there are also certain aspects of it that are simply either done correctly or a mistake - it's the same as enjoying someone's singing voice and still being able to pick out the false notes.
Honestly, I would say the style of "Heirs and Graces" kind of reminds me of ''The Royal Trap'' only less successfully executed.

Alas, there is always an aspect of taste involved, and I did enjoy the game as an overall experience I just feel like everyone keeps fronting that the art is objectively good while if you did actually take it to an art-teacher there would be a certain amount of redlining required.
Milana Walters
Young scout

Post by Milana Walters »

i admit the art is what prevents me from buying this game...but sometimes if writing is very good i tend to ovelook it. So i might change my mind later:)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The writing/story IS very good. I think probably the best writing/story of my dating sims (maybe on par with Roommates). Really, just try the demo and you won't be able to say the contrary :mrgreen:
Milana Walters
Young scout

Post by Milana Walters »

jack1974 wrote:The writing/story IS very good. I think probably the best writing/story of my dating sims (maybe on par with Roommates). Really, just try the demo and you won't be able to say the contrary :mrgreen:
Yep. i tried the demo and now i'm hooked:) Though only Kamal and Eloy interest me. As its already been said the doctor and Vincent look a bit too alike, even with different hair color and style.
Gotta wait till its released on Steam now.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes design-wise we could have asked artist to draw those two a bit more differently. Their personalities are different though :)