Cursed Lands version 1.0.13 (full content)

Classic VN/RPG, all romance combos, social talent system https://www.winterwolves.com/cursedlands.htm
Dem Avalon
Young scout

Re: Cursed Lands version 1.0.7 (full content)

Post by Dem Avalon »

All right, I finished the game, and I noticed some bugs, I don't know if these were already reported or not, if they were then, sorry (I'm too lazy to do a full search here) also is this the best place for bug reporting?
Bugs in spoiler.
Spoiler:
No battle music:
During the second battle with Humbra (the one where he is surrounded by zombies) the music just stops completely during the cutscene preceding this fight and never starts during the actual fight, this also happens during the many battles against critical targets during the N'mar siege, after the first battle, as soon as the captain reports the morale situation, any further battle is completely devoid of music (this also happened in other battles but I don't remember the exacts sorry)

Counter Bug:
when an enemy uses the counter skill, sometimes when said enemies are attacked with some techniques they get attacked twice with the skill (the attacking character still loses hit points) I noticed this happening with Sylrissa's cross cut skill (especially against Humbra), I don't know if other skills might have the same effect.

Character inconsistency:

When you first meet Sylrissa and Enok (during the "Someone adventurous" quest), Sylrissa talkssss like thissss sometimessss but after that bit she drops it completely, it would be better if she never did in the first place (It does not strike me as her being playful as nobody comments on it)

Also Humbra's Death Slash skill uses the same Skyrim sound effect as the Larikk skill I mentioned.

Overall, I liked the game a lot, it's definitely an Improvement in the writing department over Seasons of the wolf (I really disliked the lack of narration in that game) all characters seemed interesting (of course, there were characters I liked more but, none were bad), I did find it odd that not all party members get personal quests (I don't remember Lena getting one at least) I enjoyed the cameos from the Loren characters (child Loren is absolutely adorable!) and while I personally did not find much use for the Talents (aside from dialog checks) I like the idea behind them, having skill checks is a pretty good idea, and I assume that since it was used in this game you would have the framework to apply that mechanic to future games.
In conclusion, pretty good game, would play again :) .
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes you can report bugs here, thanks :)
Regarding them:
Counter Bug: I believe it's a display problem, but the log should tell "the truth". I mean it might seem that the attack is done twice, instead the second time it would be the counter but I never found a reliable way to show the "hit" on the countered enemy (both player or enemy). So if it's just a display bug, it's still a bug but less important at least.

The character inconsistency was something I thought I already fixed, but I forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

As for the "Skyrim sound", I looked in youtube and honestly it's "similar", but it's not THE SAME SOUND (I analyzed it with Soundforge and definitely is NOT the same waveform). So I'm sorry but I'm thinking I won't do anything about it.

Glad you liked the game. I'm not surprised anymore about the comments on the writing, since everyone who played it said it's better written than most of my games in recent 4-5 years (basically since Loren and Roommates lol).
Dem Avalon
Young scout

Post by Dem Avalon »

Well, if you say the sound is not the same, then my apologies.

On the issue of the counter, I don't think it's just a display thing, look at my combat log:
Spoiler:
That happened on the same turn, it could be a glitch because she is also in counter mode and "countered his counter" with the skill, but I'm not sure.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well in the end I decided to change the sound anyway, since wasn't a big deal to keep it :)
Ah I see what you mean, BOTH with counter-attack! haha a bit of a crazy combination :lol: from that log I see only that:
Sylrissa attacked 28 dmg
Hazel countered Sylrissa for 20 dmg
Then Sylrissa attacked again. I suppose though you attacked only once. Hmm the thing would be to see if you actually dealt 28+31 dmg in a single round or not (in that case the second time was just "a text bug" but not real damage done). I might do some test fights here to recreate the situation since it's quite hard to stumble into it in the game :) thanks
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

uh oh....the game crashed when I was trying to access the character/inventory shortly after finishing the 1st full moon mission.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 234, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 353, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 354, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 583, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 601, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 602, in execute
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'skills'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/gameflow.rpyc", line 1082, in script
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\cursed-lands-full\renpy\ast.py", line 1531, in execute
    choice = renpy.exports.menu(choices, self.set)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\cursed-lands-full\renpy\exports.py", line 874, in menu
    rv = renpy.store.menu(items)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\cursed-lands-full\renpy\exports.py", line 1061, in display_menu
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='menu', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\cursed-lands-full\renpy\ui.py", line 287, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\cursed-lands-full\renpy\display\core.py", line 2635, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\cursed-lands-full\renpy\display\core.py", line 3019, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\cursed-lands-full\renpy\display\core.py", line 511, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\cursed-lands-full\renpy\display\core.py", line 511, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\cursed-lands-full\renpy\display\screen.py", line 420, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\cursed-lands-full\renpy\display\core.py", line 3019, in <lambda>
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\cursed-lands-full\renpy\display\screen.py", line 430, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "C:\Users\AlphaRig\Downloads\cursed-lands-full\renpy\display\screen.py", line 611, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 353, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 354, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 601, in execute
  File "game/RPG framework/rpg_gui.rpy", line 602, in execute
  File "<screen language>", line 602, in <module>
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'skills'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.14.3.3347
Thu May 10 22:48:54 2018
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Can you send me a save? thanks :)
sfalen
Young scout

Post by sfalen »

I'm having the same problem FProphet had a little earlier: Nuala gives me the Orc Migration quest, but then there's never an option to complete it. I got the quest on Day 40 and it tells me I have until Day 65 to complete it, but no matter how many days I advance, no other options come up. I did also complete the Tomb of Urd before this (the "light" path with Nuala and Larik), so I guess that could have something to do with it.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

If you did the Tomb Of Urd like in day 62-63, yes that could happen. However you can do the Tomb quest even right after the first full moon, like in day 32-33 (30 days sooner). I didn't want to change this since even when you get it (day 40) you could do the Tomb Of Urd until day 57-58 (the quests are only temporarily unacessible just before each full moon). So it seems more like a player's choice to talk with Larik/Nuala instead of doing the Tomb quest early (well in the first 60 days).

Anyways, I think I can remove the restrictions and always allow that quest, since many people are having this problem. Will do this change on next update :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

jack1974 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:47 am Can you send me a save? thanks :)
I sent the files via email.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks, fixed it, a very peculiar bug! You had to:
- in character screen, pick the talent skills
- exit without clicking on another character or it would fix this already
- somehow set the current active character to someone else who doesn't have the talent skilltree (in this case Enok)
- after the fight, open the skills. It would try to display the "talent tree" for Enok, which of course wouldn't work and crash !
very rare since it's the first time I get this, but I fixed it anyway. Will update the game, your saves are good to use :)