Boss Secrets? (Nootau)

Classic VN/RPG, all romance combos, social talent system https://www.winterwolves.com/cursedlands.htm
Nikolai
Young scout

Boss Secrets? (Nootau)

Post by Nikolai »

Is there a secret for getting past the boss battles? I got to Nootau, didn't have any choice but to fight, and was battling him for fifteen minutes straight without things going much of anywhere. He could just heal himself from battle damage, and so could we, and things went nowhere for a long, long time. I eventually just quit.

I'd appreciate any insights other players might have.
DarkWolf
Druid

Re: Boss Secrets? (Nootau)

Post by DarkWolf »

Try concentrating on lowering his defense first, once his defense is on 0 even if his HP are still 100% you should be able to kill him with couple of hits before he can heal.
Nikolai
Young scout

Post by Nikolai »

DarkWolf wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:47 am Try concentrating on lowering his defense first
"Lowering his defense"? You mean taking away his SP?

Yeah, I tried that, but it seems that he can recover enough every round to heal himself. By the time I get around to someone who can lower his SP, he's back to where he was, or better.

If you mean something else, please explain. I've been loving this game so far, and I don't like rage-quitting generally.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No there's a Defense value if you click over the enemies, you'll see listed with the other stats. As you hit an enemy, the defense decreases. Lower defense means each hit will do more damage. So even if he heals, you should be able to outpace his healing becaues you "destroyed" his damage.
At which diffculty are you playing BTW? I got a lot of complaints that the game was super easy compared to my other RPGs, so I was wondering :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

There are also skills witch will significantly lower someones defense with each hit, all 3 romancable girls have a pretty good one.

And yeah was wondering about difficulty you play at too? I was among people who found this game to be too easy even on hard difficulty.
Nikolai
Young scout

Post by Nikolai »

jack1974 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:40 pmNo there's a Defense value if you click over the enemies, you'll see listed with the other stats. As you hit an enemy, the defense decreases.
Oh, that's good to know! Thank you!
jack1974 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:40 pmLower defense means each hit will do more damage. So even if he heals, you should be able to outpace his healing becaues you "destroyed" his damage.
Yeah, I should check that out. My problem was that as the battle wore on, I had to spend time healing my own party... which tended to allow him time to catch up. I ended up going back to a previous save (where I hadn't yet chosen to explore a particular nook of the castle) and bolting. It was only the first full Moon, so I figured that I had time to build up stats and skills and inventory before trying again. We'll see if I was right about that, I guess. :)
jack1974 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:40 pmAt which diffculty are you playing BTW? I got a lot of complaints that the game was super easy compared to my other RPGs, so I was wondering :)
Oh, you really shouldn't gauge player experience by my circumstances. I love these games, but I'm not very good at them. <ashamed voice> Normal difficulty. </ashamed voice> I just didn't have this sort of problem with Planet Stronghold (which I love to death, by the way), so I figured there must be some stratagem I wasn't seeing.
DarkWolf wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:38 pmThere are also skills witch will significantly lower someones defense with each hit, all 3 romancable girls have a pretty good one.
That might be part of my problem. I didn't focus very much on lowering defense with the skills; and their special abilities had been pretty well depleted after round one with the clown. I should probably choose my skills more carefully, or be less eager to try to defeat enemies quickly.
DarkWolf wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:38 pmAnd yeah was wondering about difficulty you play at too? I was among people who found this game to be too easy even on hard difficulty.
See above. I tend to play the game for twenty minutes or so a night to wind down after work. It was just discouraging to get pretty much nowhere during that play session, where I couldn't perceive any progress after seesawing back and forth a handful of times, and thought there was probably some important aspect of strategy I was missing.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Nikolai wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:29 pm Oh, you really shouldn't gauge player experience by my circumstances. I love these games, but I'm not very good at them. <ashamed voice> Normal difficulty. </ashamed voice> I just didn't have this sort of problem with Planet Stronghold (which I love to death, by the way), so I figured there must be some stratagem I wasn't seeing.
Haha no worries. I can't win the games in Hard mode, and I was the one who coded them!!! :mrgreen:
Cool about Planet Stronghold, I hope that the sequel I'm working on won't be too much complex compared to the first. I'm trying to mix many aspects of the first (armor resistances and damage types) with other elements present in my other RPGs.
The hardest thing for me is always to find a good compromise for the Normal difficulty. Easy is usually right (since it's very easy) and Hard/Nightmare are usually OK too, but the Normal is difficult to balance :)
Nikolai
Young scout

Post by Nikolai »

jack1974 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:44 pmCool about Planet Stronghold, I hope that the sequel I'm working on won't be too much complex compared to the first. I'm trying to mix many aspects of the first (armor resistances and damage types) with other elements present in my other RPGs.
I'm eager to see that come out. Roger Steel as well.

And I should dig up Colonial Defense at some point, too. I started it, but never finished.
jack1974 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:44 pmThe hardest thing for me is always to find a good compromise for the Normal difficulty. Easy is usually right (since it's very easy) and Hard/Nightmare are usually OK too, but the Normal is difficult to balance :)
I hadn't considered that. I guess it makes sense on reflection. Well, I'll keep buffing my party for the time being; I look forward to implementing your suggestions the next time I confront the castle's denizens.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

There's no reason to be ashamed, we all have different backgrounds and experience. Nootau is one of the harder bosses to take on at the first full moon, but you'll get the chance to fight him again later.

Before facing a hard boss, remember to stock up on and use potions and bombs (just like Nootau); while they are limited in number, they are often much more efficient than skills. When it comes to skills, damage over time are my favorite aggressive kind. If you put 3-4 DOTs on someone, you'll deal damage even when you have to take time off to heal.

You should definitely play more Colonial Defense. I, and other cool and humble people like me, :lol: think it's the best Winter Wolves game.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:34 am You should definitely play more Colonial Defense. I, and other cool and humble people like me, :lol: think it's the best Winter Wolves game.
:lol: :lol:
Can't wait to work on Undead Lily now that I know the card game wasn't the issue with PSCD!
But... first have to finish PS2 and Loren 2. Ugh that might take a while :oops: