My Ideas

Boxing management simulation game
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

Yeah... strength would be low in the lower weight classes, quickness would be low at heavyweight. Course there's always got to be the wild exception, there are a few heavyweights that are really fast, just not so many. Maybe have an accepted range for each weight class with a 1 in 10 chance of a guy having extra in a particular area, or for having less than normal? Thus my big strong fighter may have terrible stamina while little guy has unusual strength but is otherwise ordinary.

I would think technique would be uniform for all classes and people could have any amount at random. Stamina and endurance are a little tough to call, perhaps it should be random with some thought given to weight, as KnockOut suggested. Strength, agility and quickness need to have their limits, particularly strength - a guy either has power or he doesn't, even building muscle doesn't necessarily give you that power.

Weight would need to be a big factor in agility... a guy who weighs 300 just can't move like a guy who weighs 125. You should set that up relative to weight classes, but in the heavyweights make it a sliding scale so that the heavier he is the slower he moves...of course with the rare exception.

Aren't you glad you're getting it from two sides? :lol:

Having these limits will make for more explosive fights I just realized. Heavyweights who can't get out of the way will get knocked out easier, today I can have the most agile heavyweight in the world regardless of his weight.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes definitely I'll make those changes in next version, along with some minor ones. The skill changes are not very difficult to do, and the editor either :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Wow thanks. I think your system is really a very good one, and I think I'll use it in the game! seem much more natural to base everything on the weight. Then of course there are other factor (like tecnique, etc) that can influence the fight outcome :)
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

5 Boxing sims? Man, I didn't know there were so many for the comp (unless they're really old)! Not that I'm looking to switch, he does a great job and listens to us. 8)
KnockOut
Young scout

Post by KnockOut »

Native son's suggestions are good ones, I'd also like to add that you should add different graphics for heavyweights, straweights, etc. I want to see my boxers look different. Also, I'd like to see height and wingspan added to the graphics in fight mode. Height would be hard to do with the overhead view but wingspan could definately be done. Just make their arms longer.

So, when I watch the fights, I want to see my cruiserweight with really long arms or my pudgy heavyweight with short arms. Right now I'd say the boxers look on the pudgier side.

A height advantage would make it harder to strike the head. A short torso would make a smaller "strike" zone and make it more likely for the opponent to foul. A reach advantage would make it easier for the boxer to box from the outside. A smaller reach would make it easier to box at the inside.

I propose the following plan:

Next version:

Add different graphics for boxers in fight mode based on height, weight, and reach
Add a display for a boxers height, weight, and reach and add an easily accessible list of the maximum and minimum weight for each weight class
Incorporate height, weight, and reach in fights and fight outcomes

Version after:

Fix any bugs caused by these changes
Enable the gaining and losing of weight and the effect on stats

Version after that:

Enable cutting weight and penalties for not being able to make weight
Add special attributes for boxers like:

-"Chin" Rating
-Short Torso allowing for a smaller strike zone
-Large Head
-Big Hands
-Really pudgy providing cushioning for blows
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

KnockOut wrote:Add different graphics for boxers in fight mode based on height, weight, and reach
Add a display for a boxers height, weight, and reach and add an easily accessible list of the maximum and minimum weight for each weight class
Incorporate height, weight, and reach in fights and fight outcomes
I've started working on the new version, however the graphic part is a bit complex. Right now I use 2d sprites, except for the manage menu where you can see 3d boxer (but are static, non animated).
Making different appearance using 2d pre-rendered sprites would take too much and would also be unpractical. I want to move to full 3d fights in future, probably using a 3d engine like Unity or Torque, since with my current system I can't do this.
For that, you'll probably have to wait for UBM2 :lol:

But, except for the appearance, I can implement in the code the changes. About this, I was wondering what are the right "reach" values since I have no clue really. What are the minimum/maximum reach values ?
KnockOut
Young scout

Post by KnockOut »

The reach value is equal to a fighters wingspan. Reach correlates with height. Some boxers have wingspans almost a foot longer than their height.

How about most boxers have wingspans 2 to 4 inches greater than their height? Some have up to 12 greater than their height. And some have one to four inches less than their height.

The longer your reach compared to your opponent the better you are at outside fighting.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ok cool, understood :)

I've released a small minor update just to fix some bugs, and added some minor features:
universal-boxing-manager-136-beta-vt202.html

I'll make more changes once I finish my other game I'm working on right now.
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

I'm liking the sound of it from the newsletter, I'll see if I can play some today. :)
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

So far I like, but here's something that's happened for a long time on a TKO, I finally caught it for a screenshot:

The opponent turns blue for whatever reason.